OW2 isn't what I bought

Nope, when it comes to online games, games that are wholly online, you do not own any of the game itself. That much is actually covered in the EULA that you agreed to. You own none of the content, you don’t even own your account. You own a license which allows you to access their service. A license they can revoke at any time for any reason. If the game were to shut down tomorrow, then you’d have nothing, absolutely nothing. No account to play, no cosmetics to show off, nothing.

If you bought a collectors edition, you’d own the physical box, any of the physical contents within the box, and if the collectors edition came with physical media holding the game files, you’d own that piece of physical media. But you have no ownership claim over anything else.

Sure she does. Note she is meta right now. She is literally one of the strongest supports in the game, to the point that almost every team in OWL is running her.

Yes, you do have to practice her, but she does give an advantage at some ranks, and that is ALL that is needed for the game to be P2W.

1 Like

Not sure why you can’t grasp this. You will always own the copy and license.

It might be that it will become unavailable to download once the service is ended or the service is denied to you. As you have no ownership of and no right to the service itself. That certainly means you do not have any recourse or claims to it or its continuation. However, that will never mean you do not own the video game you bought.

That’s the reason why online content is purposefully made a part of the service, not the original product itself. Otherwise you would actually do own it and completely changing or denying it to customers wouldn’t be possible.

She could be the worst Overwatch hero ever and it would still be pay2win.

The game is biult around switching between different heroes to adjust and counter the enemy team.

Thus Kiriko is an option the enemy does not have access to (yet) and that is a clear advantage.

1 Like

they updated their product and are actively working on it and just because „you“ don’t like the new design it’s not a scam. They could have just ended support for ow1, leave the servers running until the end of the year and make you buy ow2 full price and still have the ingame shop. Is that what people would prefer? It’s not shady and it’s not a scam just because you don’t like the product update, sorry.

its literally called Overwatch TWO. tf you mean its not a sequel.

https://careers.blizzard.com/global/en/job/R015534/Associate-Game-Producer-Heroes-Talents-Overwatch-2

help us make Overwatch 2 - the globe-spanning sequel to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed team-based FPS game.

1 Like

You clearly missed the part where they said 'we want to redefine what a sequel is"

I feel the same way. I don’t care if they want to release a new game with overly monetized nonsense, but I do want the original game I bought and enjoyed back.

I agree. They kinda took your money and say “bye”

This is what Jeff said yes, but the context matters here.

He was saying that he understands how sequels make gamers scared, because of progression being lost.

The intent was to carry forward all of the progression and that was how they were “redefining a sequel.”

He meant this the opposite of the way that you are implying as he quite literally goes on to say, this is not a patch, this is a true sequel.

1 Like

Woah Jeff told you that? I wish I could talk to him too! /s

Let’s not pretend he wasn’t also likely referring to the fact that the “sequel” was a change of philosophy/core gameplay + the addition of PvE gameplay in a PvP game, but not an entirely new game and engine from scratch like CoD sequels are.

WRONG.

He meant this the opposite of the way that you are implying as he quite literally goes on to say, this is not a patch, this is a true sequel.

I think in a lot of ways we didn’t communicate it at BlizzCon 2019 accurately. We tried to. We tried to tell people this is a true sequel. This isn’t DLC, this isn’t just something that should be a patch. But obviously we didn’t do that correctly because people just sort of created their own dialogue around what the game was. This was always the vision of the game. This has always been what we’ve had our eyes set on.

I’m somebody, if you look back on my career personally, I’ve made expansions, I’ve made patch updates. I have a very clear picture in my mind of what the difference between an expansion and a patch is versus a sequel. And our goal was always to make a sequel.

1 Like

Thanks for providing the article that conveniently has a quote of him saying exactly what i Just said!

“Hey, we’re making Overwatch 2, it’s a sequel. It’s going to have all of this amazing PvE content, story missions, hero missions, all-new PvP maps. We’re going to add new heroes. We’re going to change how a bunch of PvP works. See you later, Overwatch 1 people, hope you buy Overwatch 2!” The weirdest part is everybody would just go, “Oh, they’re making a sequel.”

and also:

“The second set of things is from a purely psychological standpoint: a community’s ability to accept and adapt to changes. What can we get away with in a patch in Overwatch 1? When does the community accept a massive change that can only come with a sequel? Both of those things are in consideration.”

Aka he is reiterating something he said many times, that they were able to do drastic changes to the philosophy and core gameplay of PvP because it is a “sequel” or “new game”. Aka 5v5.

You can pretend he only meant keeping the community together, I guess. Doesn’t really bother me or change reality.

Exactly. They never would’ve been able to pull this stunt of changing so many core fundamentals of the game and removing so many things if they hadn’t released it as a “sequel”.

Because it’s not an update, it’s a sequel, which is exactly what I’m saying.

They didn’t really “get away with it”, given the community outrage.

There’s no need to pretend about anything. He literally explains what he meant by “redefining a sequel” here:

[20:24]

for us as gamers you know sequels make us nervous more than anything else so what we’re hoping to do with overwatch - is really redefine what a sequel means and I think some explanation is in order right now so for all original players of overwatch players of the current overwatch game you will get to play on all of the same maps as overwatch - players including all of the brand-new maps that are coming to overwatch - and you will get to play with all of the same heroes as overwatch 2 players it will be a shared multiplayer environment where no one gets left behind.

The other thing that I think a lot of us are thinking about is all those cool accomplishments and cosmetics that we’ve been unlocking over the years you know how hard did you work for your witch mercy skin for example we want to make sure that all overwatch cosmetics come forward with you into overwatch 2 so all of your progress matters nothing’s getting left behind no one’s getting left behind we worked so hard to build this community of over 50 million players at this point the last thing we would ever do is do anything to split what an amazing community you guys are and and how much you mean to us so overwatch 2 is going to be amazing

Think I’m going to start a new thread about this since it’s causing so much confusion with the community and people who somehow construe redefining a sequel to mean “just an update”.

If anything the Call of Duty sequels are less of a sequel given how little the core gameplay actually changes.

Regarding the engine changes, they’ve only upgraded the already existing engine for the previous three sequels.

• New water simulation system[73]
  • Improved AI[74][75]
  • New audio engines[76]
  • Improved 3D directionality and immersive audio[77]

That’s basically the same as what Overwatch did.

You’re missing the entire point. This is an argument of semantics. Your definition of a sequel is meaningless, and clearly so is Blizzard’s. Because the general gaming audience/playerbase has a definition in their mind and that’s why OW2 has been poorly received/made fun of by a lot of people for being “the same game”.

My personal opinion is that of Blizz’s but that doesn’t matter.

Except it’s not. This is how they’ve marketed it to the end user. What it actually is you can debate, but you can’t debate what it’s being marketed as and sold to us as, and what the developers have stated that it actually is.

Usually those who say this have only looked at the surface changes.

Nobody can deny the massive number of changes and removals - many of which have caused a lot of complaint.

Unfortunately some people like yourself are dismissing the fact that the developers themselves have stated that it’s a sequel, in order to justify any and all decisions made, right or wrong, as being acceptable.

Others like myself are simply holding the developers to their word, as we should.

If it’s a sequel - and it is - then make it separate.

Sadly loyal fans of Overwatch 1 is not the target audience Blizz made this game for. We don’t matter to them anymore.

I’ve made this thread so we can stop guessing what they meant and just read what they actually said.

What you have bought has been expired, trashed and recycled. And in reality you have bought only a license to participate in that processing and all the possible outcomes.