OW2 is using the wrong GPU

So I am running into an issue when launching OW2 on my gaming laptop. I am using an Alienware m15 r2 laptop with these specs:

• Intel i7 9750H
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Integrated)
  • NVIDIA RTX 2060 (Dedicated)

I am also running this laptop with an external display through HDMI. So when I was booting up OW2, the game was running incredibly slow. I then checked Task Manager to see what was happening, and it showed that the Intel integrated graphics were being used at 100% while my NVIDIA graphics was not being used at all.

I then looked up other advice pertaining to this same issue happening in OW1. I remember this same thing happening when I first downloaded OW1 on this same machine. This forum post’s advice was what fixed it last time.

I tried implementing all of those same changes to OW2, and this time the game never went to use the NVIDIA graphics.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks for your help and the work you guys have done on releasing OW2 :smile:!

2 Likes

In the NVIDIA control panel, you should see “Overwatch” and “Overwatch Launcher”. Which one did you set to be launched with NVIDIA GPU ?
“Overwatch” should be the one to set, but you should try to set both.

1 Like

I set both of them to the NVIDIA GPU hasn’t solved it

Can’t post a link for some reason.
Google “How to Force App or Game to Use Nvidia GPU or Integrated Graphics”
The Windows Digital article looks interesting.

1 Like

I am having the same issue however the guide on launching with a specific GPU isn’t going me. My drop down menu in Nvidia control panel doesn’t have the option to add a “run with graphics processor” to the context menu.

Do you have any other solutions that work?

1 Like

Checked out that article and followed the instructions there, still no luck :frowning:

I do find it interesting, however, that every time I launch OW2 my CPU usage stays at a consistent 100%. Initially, I am thinking that is due to the fact that it is still trying to use the integrated graphics still but I did want to point that out.

1 Like

I was having the same issue. I have been able to get the game to run on my Nvidia graphics card by going into my device manager, disabling my integrated graphics, launching overwatch, and then re-enabling the integrated graphics after the game has started using the proper graphics card.

It’s a really goofy solution but it has been working for me.

1 Like

So I tried your solution and while it did work, the issue is that it practically broke everything else with my dual monitor setup. So I will say its a temporary bandaid but definitely not a long term solution.

Any other ideas?

This sounds daft & may or may not work but if possible open NVIDIA Control Pannel & go to Manage 3d settings & scroll to ‘OpenGL rendering GPU’. change it to the GPU instead of Auto-select. See if that helps, it might force your sys to use the hardware GFX instead of onboard GFX.

1 Like

I tried that but it didn’t work (I use win11 tho so it directs me to settings instead of the control panel)

1 Like

I have the exact same issue, also using Alienware m15 r2 and trying to run with an external display. I found a temporary solution. If I DON’T use my external display, the game does choose the NVIDIA RX graphics card, but if I DO use the display, it goes to the Intel integrated card. So what I’m doing is disconnecting the HDMI, open OW2, and THEN I plug the extra monitor back in (and then I just drag over the game to the second monitor with windowed display on). Seems to do the trick so far.

However I do hope for a better permanent solution. Tried everything in this thread and also no luck :frowning:

2 Likes

That worked completely on my end too! Thank you for this! But I find it particularly dumb that I have to do this! I will call your post the “solution” but Blizzard/OW Team definitely needs to fix this, unless of course this is just an Alienware problem.

Is anyone using extend display? That causes crashes sometimes.

I am using extend display but its not that the game is crashing for me at least. Its more that the game won’t choose the NVIDIA graphics card when the game is being launched instead using the Intel integrated graphics on my laptop.

Yeah, that’s part of the problem. Discontinue “extend” to test.

I have this exact issue; also an Alienware laptop (M15 R2 too; going to Intel integrated card). springqueen’s hdmi unplug-replug solution helped.

I really hope there is a fix for this in the future. This is incredibly annoying.

exact same problem here, but it started randomly on OW 1 after reintalling it. I’m at a loss, tried everyting and no solution yet .

1 Like

OW1 doesn’t exist anymore, they took the game down to replace it with OW2, so I’m not sure what you mean here.

Same issue here, laptop with a secondary monitor. First started after a PC reboot, worked fine at OW2 launch. The unplugging trick works as well.

Lenovo Legion Y540, GTX 1660 Ti

I am having the same issues, but I end up temporarily disabling my internal gpu via device manager which is frustrating nonetheless