OW2 is like a restaurant (6v6 vs 5v5 solved)

To be completely fair, it is apparently working. Overwatch players just have unbelievably low standards.

Let’s just say I love my ghost pepper wings, which I do. Let’s say I have to drive far away to the ghetto part of town with wandering drug addicts just to get them, which I do. Let’s say the employees hate their job, which they do.

What does it matter? That’s the only place I am going to get my ghost pepper wings outside of making them myself. I mean, sure, maybe I should just buy a deep fryer…

I digress, options are limited. Modern fps games are all about “tactical” or “battle royale.” If I had to play that garbage, I would have quit already. Overwatch has seen better days, but at least it is a relic of the past.

1 Like

it’s hard to balance cc when Rein can just walk forward and hit you twice to oneshot you, you need a tool to stop him that isn’t just damage,

yes, you’ll get whipped cream on a cracker,

that’ll be 50$ extra

I mean, I guess you or your tank players were just bad? :man_shrugging:

spec

:negative_squared_cross_mark: to doubt

most of them I wouldn’t be surprised, if they wouldn’t even be the original players that pay for that…

games like OW are the reason why I’m strongly considering software development

the casuality is still felt, the 5v5 format is just too wonky for my taste

I’ll have one of everything waiter

2 Likes

these were never issues

at all

1 Like

I literally quoted a person naming like 3 my guy, read.

Your thread, yes.

1 Like

Queue times are a nonissue when they actually address certain hero kit design flaws and issues such as Brigs existence, invulns, etc. Queue times didn’t happen because the game was 6v6 they happened because they stopped adding content while lying to everyone for 4 years about a sequel that was never happening anyways.

The solution will always be open queue because what people say on the forums/social media is just incorrect for the majority. “blah blah 5 dps 1 heal” It just didn’t happen as often as anyone claims, most teams default to 222 on their own or other variations of 123(not 1 tank usually).

Idk why I am bothering, I’ll get a shill response anyways lol.

3 Likes

you’ll be sit on an uncleaned table with leftover plates and silverware from previous customers,

your appetizer is technically that and we will charge you 5$ for it,

your soup is single baby carrot in salty water with few strings of spaghetti, barely boiled enough for the carrot to start softening, 10.50$,

the main meal is actually just a bucket from KFC, but we’ve sprayed some ketchup on it, which brings it to reasonable value of 80$,

the desert is whipped cream on a cracker, the second desert is the same thing but the cracker is chocolate flavored, 100 bucks,

finally a glass of tap water should do the trick, 2.50$,

the total is 250.01$, the price includes the tip and other expenses,

by eating at our restaurant you are agreeing with our list of Terms and Conditions giving the right for any staff member to eat your meal, your meal being eaten will halve the price of the total cost with the ability to withdraw a coupon for 10% price reduction for your next meal.

let’s not pretend the game was perfect all the time

GOATS

but it’s also not like people were just putting up with a badly designed game

if you read the OP or my answer to their comment, you’d find out they’ve named 0 reasons

1/3/2 was more common, though solution doesn’t have to be open Q, the game had reasonable Q times after the introduction of role lock too

it’s their only option

1 Like

Delicious
I see no problem other than I can’t afford said food
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

actually none of the arguments matter because blizz isnt bringing it back at this point…

the game is 5v5 now

There’s been no pretending on my part

the item noted by the person I responded to as being an issue was not an issue

the item noted in this post was only an issue in OWL, where it caused a drop in ticket sales…it was never an issue in the game per se. Few players even knew what GOATS was, and only a few of those few had the communications and cooperation necessary to pull it off on their team

Yes, there are or were issues in both OW and the pay to win game being called OW2, but these specific items were not issues

1 Like

Queue times are not a balance related problem and you absolutely should not solve queue times with balance changes.

1 Like

I mean, technically you’re wrong,

but you’re right that it wasn’t a balance issue for OW

Wrong about what? You could possibly say that balancing queue times or balancing the player base of roles is balance, but usually what is referred to by balance is the gameplay itself.

If nobody wanted to play Zerg in Starcraft you wouldn’t start by buffing Zerg as people not wanting to play it is likely a separate issue than its balance in gameplay. People don’t due things entirely based on its likeliness to be successful. There is probably some overlap though.

You fix Q times, by nerfing the overpowered character which everyone wants to pick,

or an overpowered set of characters everyone gravitates to pick leaving others in dust or in less fortunate spot,

or overpowered (set of) character(s), which are locked/tied within a specific role, making that role more popular by default, not just ranked, some people like winning and will play any character or don’t mind abusing the most powerful character in casual play.

Because we remember they were garbage.

It is hard to convince people that the queue times were good, to people who experienced in person how bad they were.

2 Likes

What people decide to pick is only partially influenced by how likely people believe they will succeed. Balance is not the first thing to look at when trying to solve queue times.

Unfortunately the problem with the tank role is probably a lot more fundamental than its balance. The whole design would probably need rethinking.

Still, I don’t thinking messing up game balance is worth it for better queue times for some people.

then you remember wrong

people like me, so, yeah, I played the game, I can prove to you that I played OG OW, even if it was just the 2018 and not the OG OG 2016 version

yes and no,

for example, it shouldn’t lead to removing a whole tank member from each team, but here we are…

the HP change did that, the only sad part about it is lowkey making 200HP characters 500HP and 1000HP into 2000HP, with all the damage and healing lowkey similar increase but not as much, but then you’re slowly walking into FPS League of Legends territory

it’s just hard with one tank, the game started with two, so simply buffing the tank since it’s lonely isn’t the fix that’ll completely make the problem go away

Funnily enough I guess the forums remember wrong, because people were posting about it.

And you know what you don’t see in those posts? people saying “no this isn’t happening”

Now there is no one in those threads saying “your wrong they are not 20 minutes?”

Why?

Because they had 20 minute queue times.

2 Likes

Technically the game started with no limits. Games tended to have only 2 tanks, but it was quickly discovered that picking 4-5 tanks was optimal.

The funny thing about that is that everyone knew that picking 4-5 tanks nearly guaranteed winning yet people still didn’t want to actually do it. They just wanted to play DPS primarily anyway.

So we have more evidence here that suggests the balance is not the motivating factor in decided what people want to play. It also suggests that no amount of buffing tanks is going to convince people to do it. There was a time when you knew for certain that all you had to do was pick tank and your chance of winning was increased dramatically yet they would not.

They should have gone back to the drawing board and figured this out back in 2017, but instead they introduced the role limits. I would have really loved to play the alternative game that was intended by its original designer where any combination of any hero was viable. Even if the solution ended up being converging all heroes to being a DPS with various quirks.

The meta fell into 2 winstons, 2 tracers, 2 lucios at that time if you wanted to win.

In OW2 when they had tanks as “raid bosses” we has excess tank players.

When DPS were crazy strong, we had a massive excess in DPS players.

When Supports were really strong, we had supports being the longest queue.

100% you can balance to solved queue times.

1 Like