OW should be a party game, not a competitive game

I mean you can play it casually through arcade and qp.

This game died the day they started trying to balance it

2 Likes

Two spots above wallpaper engine. Counter strike and dota are 1 and 2

Not saying these games arenā€™t great but they do not reflect global trends on other game platforms. :man_shrugging:t6:

Maybe not use steams most played as a standard

I donā€™t play TF2, but at least as far as I am aware the game seems to have a massive problem with bots, so those numbers donā€™t really mean a lot.

1 Like

Have you ever played any Mario Kart? Those are fun games.

1 Like

I agree Kong.

I think they should have just made it an Arcade style game, with high scores on maps in various categories and other fun stuff, and kept the game about chilling with your mates and having a laugh.

Heck, Iā€™d have made it so you could play all the arcade games in Hanamura if you wanted too. Just drop a coin in and have fun. Let people watch you play. Have high scores there as well.

The OW experience should have been all about low key fun. It should have been a place you wanted to hang out with your friends from all over the world, with the emphasis on ā€œplayā€.

The whole comp/OWL thing just poisoned the game, and still does IMHO. Ranks and rank shaming, smurfs, stuck metas, boosting, on and on.

If they had taken all the money and effort they dumped into OWL and put it into maps, characters, events, skins, and voice lines, etc., theyā€™d have had a stronger franchise overall than the one they have now.

9 Likes

Valve actually did something for once a few weeks ago and pushed out some updates that screwed a couple of the bot systems. Though really just the fact that a 15 year old game has any active community at all is impressive.

7 Likes

You asked ā€œwho tf still plays TF2ā€ and I gave you live data. 105k people are playing it right now.

Itā€™s a Steam game, you play it through Steam. Thatā€™s the official data source. Iā€™m not comparing it to ā€œglobal trends on other game platformsā€ because that wasnā€™t the question.

I havenā€™t played TF2 in a very long time because it really went downhill for me after the f2p update back in the day, but I do think for such an old game that receives basically no content now from its developer, itā€™s doing well for itself. If its still drawing new players in, even more power to it.

7 Likes

If the game is not fun, when it is, the fun is the reward itselfā€¦

3 Likes

I feel like weā€™re not too far from that either,

1 Like

I still play TF2 from time to time. Still fun. Especially if you go to community servers, that ban bot accounts faster, than VAC does.

And competitive play had their own rules, that didnā€™t affect casuals mostly(restrictions of classes picked and weapons used). Modding allowed not only visual changes, but coming up with new gamemods, like Vs Saxton Hale(basically boss fight).

2 Likes

confirming this: my older bro bought me the game and iā€™ve been hooked ever sinceā€¦ but, he was an extremely casual player, he liked symm for the auto-lock primary attack because he doesnt have the time available to ā€˜get goodā€™, he liked brigs extreme durability at her release. these heroes are nowhere near as acccesable for non-FPS players now, and he doesnt play anymore. the constant nerfs to the easier to play heroes really drove away the casual playerbase :confused: and it sucks

3 Likes

It is a party gameā€¦

Nobody has taken the OWL serious in 3-4 years. Not to mention how the overall competitive FPS community thinks overwatch is more or less a joke.

That definitely sounds more fun, but the gameā€™s monetization is tied to the OWL marketing scheme so I donā€™t think they would do this for us. Are people going to go watch a party game at an arena IRL? Watch it streamed? I dunnoā€¦

Nah, you just find being cheesy fun. Most people donā€™t.

I mean just look at the numbers, despite blizzard doing everything to pander to competitive players as casual players left the game in droves, and with competitive mode unlocking exclusive items, only a minority of the playerbase is playing ranked.

Nobody who played overwatch near launch could say with a straight face that it was designed to be a highly competitive game

3 Likes

Well overwatch from the beginning was always meant to be a competitive title even titan was. Itā€™s really cool to see how a casual player base has grown around overwatch who have absolutely no desire in comp however itā€™s a little frightening when you see the hardcore qp warriors

Thank you! This is my main argument, and why I hate when every hero is more skill-focused than the last. This is also my point with Dead By Daylight; just because some pros came in and found how to break it, ruined a lot of the fun. Iā€™ll still play, but people like me just trying to have fun and not sweat are getting zoned out. Well, what can you do.

1 Like

Or people with Diamond borders in Bronze comp lol.

i always thought this game should be some chuck e. cheese game but who knows what would have happened if it went that route?

you have party games like among us and fall guys while casual can be pretty hardcore with people wanting to win. i remember the toxicity of among us when it was popular. people really took that game seriously and it even wasnt competitive (probably kids trying to emulate xqcā€™s toxicity and competitiveness :laughing:).

so could have overwatch actually emulated thatā€¦ who knows i mean it is a six year old gameā€¦ its old and competitive probably has people wanting to play for that reason. to compete. so i dont have a clue if overwatch never went competitive. i mean no content is no content so that 3 year period of trickling content REALLY HURT THE GAME. i think thats what really did itā€¦