Overwatch Scammed us with fake BP credits

How exactly do you think any lawyer will justify a case when they didn’t scam players at all?

All Blizzard has to do, quite literally, is point to the blog post announcement for what was coming in Season 3 (which is when they announced legacy credits were coming to the battle pass) and any case trying to argue scam gets trashed and shredded.

The color change was intended to trick consumers into thinking they were getting a more valuable in game currency. Its very scummy and legally questionable

Uhh, no.

Again they made it crystal clear that we were getting legacy credits. Anyone with a working brain who knows how to read would know this. Additionally the battle-pass reward is named ‘legacy credits’ and the symbol for legacy credits is not the same as the one for store credits.

Did they make a mistake by originally having the legacy credits appear as gold? Yes. And it was one they fixed quickly enough, but there was no deliberate misleading behaviour here. You’d have to be a special type of stupid to claim otherwise when every shred of evidence pointed to the fact that we were getting legacy credits, not store credits.

The blog doesnt matter because the average player is unaware that this forum or even an OW official blog exists. All they know is they saw the new battlepass and thought “oh they now have a currency I want! Purchase!”. Furthermore, the fact that it happened when the battlepass initially released is because thats when battlepasses are most often purchased. Blizzard fully intended trickery when they did this and had full intentions of reverting it as they expected players who actually care to respond to it.

soo the average player is an idiot?

It used to be yellow in OW1, it was never white or gray until OW2.

The blog literally does matter and it will be used as evidence in any legal case.

And that alone is going to cause any legal case to be thrown into the dumpster where it belongs, because a judge is going to look at that, say: “It’s an unedited document telling people in writing that they’re getting legacy credits. You have no case.” and then the case will be dismissed, likely with prejudice, meaning no idiots in the future can try this crap again.

I get it, people are mad about getting mostly worthless legacy credits instead of store credits. I would have rather seen Blizzard add normal store credits, that would have been 100% fine and an easy win for Blizzard that everyone could agree on. But crying scam when there’s no scam is just stupid.

I wouldn’t say “scam” but its definitely tricky and confusing to an extent. Coins should have 1 Icon and Credits should have a different one, like a V or a A or even a Grey OW1 symbol/icon. Like for example its really easy to tell OWL tokens from OW2 Coins, but not the Coins vs Legacy Credits etc.

1 Like

Then maybe it’s for the best then, so we can reinvent the concept from scratch with ethic involved this time around.

Nothing’s vapid. Even discussing it and calling it out is already a start. Then this spreads and becoming a thing that will be brought up by politicians (the good ones, even if they’re rare).

I was born in the late 80s and I have witnessed the power of speaking out and I’ve seen society get big changes over decades. Maybe you’re too young to see how our society kept improving, morally speaking and it’s not over. Things will only get better and better. Minorities are more and more listened to.

Everything is political in our society, even the gaming industry, since it’s… an industry which means it’s directly related to purchasing power (hence politics).

If entertainment wasn’t legislated, there would be major issues. Unless entertainment becomes completely free, it will always have a close relationship with people’s rights.

This isn’t the same marketing of “purchase it once” and “that’s it” type of model anymore. Currently it’s far more insidious, especially because gaming makes a lot of money so every company wants a piece of the cake, even those that could care less about gaming and gamers in general. That’s what I’m calling out here.

I’ve witnessed Blizzard’s shift of mindset in more than 15 years of playing their games. They’re not the only ones that need calling out, though, of course.

It’s something most companies are involved with.

Well, that isn’t true, technically speaking. I think it’s your childhood nostalgia talking on this one, not reality. Technology and progress are way stronger in 2023 than it was in the 90’s and 2000s so the quality is way better now. That doesn’t mean the classics we love are bad, I’m just saying that it’s hard to compare them on the same level.

We shouldn’t even compare them.

Time will tell but I would be surprised if Microsoft pulled that recoloring currency scam on their customers. We’ll see.

Not all players remember that and the fact that it changed colors 2 times in such a short period of time can be confusing to casual players. Also, new players have no idea about legacy coins. I think a lot of them only pay attention to the yellow color.

The only currency that is easier to tell apart from standard currency is the OWL currency (but most people don’t care about the OWL so I guess that’s less problematic in some ways).

1 Like

yeah. Those still look way too similar both in color and shape.
It still needs to be changed more (not before scamming as many as possible ofc)

1 Like

the fact that they got away with this without any kind of punishment is criminal. modern gaming moment.

2 Likes

The gaming industry is still the wild west. it lacks any regulation whatsoever.
There is much more needed than just lootboxes bans.

1 Like

That’s why the OW devs are lax in communication. There’s an area for news, but they put nothing about changes or updates there. They focus too much on making BP and skin money. If you didn’t search in the forums or biased social media, you’d never know about things you can earn by watching streamers or the OWL. Very lazy devs.

Based Based Based Based Based
Based so hard

Imagine making a purchase without even reading the most basic description of what you’re going to buy.

Buying something purely based on a single image is poor consumer behaviour in any situation.

1 Like

And here I thought the most unlikely thing to occur on these forums would be a poster following through with a lawsuit threat.

Hate to break it to you, but nobody is going to reinvent the concept of marketing in our lifetimes, especially considering that the core concept has existed for centuries if not several millennia.

But hey, good on you for thinking it’s possible :+1:

Calling out the fact the people don’t bother to rely on colors and shapes and don’t bother to read?

At first I was on the same page of thinking maybe we can agree there’s no such thing as a good politician, but I certainly don’t support the politicians who are stanning for people who don’t exercise a modicum of self-initiative that on one hand says “this company scammy” and use the other hand to go “yUp ThIs SuRe LoOkS nOrMaL tO mE” then complain about “being scammed”.

Those politicians are looking for subservient voters, not looking out for their best interests.

Lmfao, buddy I’ve lived through one recession already and staring down another, seen healthcare reform absolutely crush my career prospects by rewriting the way jobs are categorized, prioritize college degrees for the sake of being college degrees while shunning work experiences and skill sets, and seeing some of the worst inter-societal relationships since last century.

If you’re actually suggesting that life is better now and taking responsibility for it, then you can keep this hellscape. Please take me back to the 1990’s.

Sure seems that way, thanks for that too. I just love facing down the reality I’m trying to escape briefly from by playing games, within the games I play…

What has legislation done to entertainment that has had a positive impact on the industry as a whole? Ratings are overwhelmingly ignored across the board because they have no teeth, factors determining ratings are skirted and often crossed without any repercussions.

It doesn’t need to be the same model, financial models change. You’ve been around since the 80’s, are you honestly insinuating that marketing and financing of games haven’t changed until very recently? Because news flash, it’s been an inconsistently changing industry since the 70’s.

I suggested you look at the marketing model. You’re calling what Blizz is doing “insidious” when half of the games in the 90’s and prior had literal lies describing the game and fake images of the product as representations of the “actual” product on ads and packaging. Hell, even official guides for these games make allusions to features and mechanics that don’t even exist in game!

Calling it out isn’t going to change it, and politicians are sure to make it worse for everyone.

Move onto greener pastures and support Devs that are doing what you like, gaming has never offered more choice in history ever. That’s how you influence positive change.

On a literal technical level, you’re correct, on a price:value standpoint it’s hardly nostalgic.

Gaming has gotten technologically (not “technically”) better, but it certainly hasn’t improved the quality of the experience to a degree where they displace predecessors in meaningful ways, hence why mechanics that play off of psychological impulses have been implemented as core experiences so brazenly rather than organically like games of the past.

Yes we should compare them.

But again if you look back at the games of the past there’s a ton of false advertisement both in various forms of media as well as right on the box. It’s dishonest to try and shut that reality out knowing full well it’s not as bad if worse than Blizzard is doing by changing the color of words.

So releasing an unfinished broken game, not updating it for 3 months while the population nosedived, provided no support for official merchandise that was invalid when used in game, had incorrectly listed prices, and had literal unfinished/untextured purchasable cosmetics until just a few months ago is somehow not as bad as changing the color of a currency and isn’t enough for you to say “yeah, we’ll see”?

No matter how you put it to blame customers only, it won’t change the fact that the more players feel scammed by this, the less they’re going to buy anything from Blizzard’s shop and no company (that would pull that kind of moves to sell Battle Passes at all cost) would want that.

That’s the reality I’m talking about. Customers want purchases to be intuitive during their free time spent on gaming, and not waste time reading every detail whenever the game gets an update.

There’s an expression in French that says “The client is King” (I guess it translates into “the customer is always right”. No matter how dumb the customer is, if the company doesn’t abide by what they want / need, chances are said company is going to lose customers / money.

That’s how capitalism works, simple supply and demand thingy and customer satisfaction. My comments were also in Blizzard’s best interest.

Absolutely. And if you go back to October last year, you’ll find me saying that Blizzard should’ve been referring to ‘legacy credits’ as ‘silver coins’ (and handing them out in the Battle Pass!) from the very beginning.

However, the information really wasn’t hidden - it was quite obvious to most people that there were not ‘coins’ in the Battle Pass but rather ‘credits’.

A single 13 year old that didn’t bother to read the readily-available information is not a good representation of the entire playerbase and it’s a bit disingenuous to say it is.

Man, imagine a 2.01 billion dollars company that knows how graphic design works. Oh wait, they actually do know how it works.

1 Like