Overwatch 2 r/Games Reddit AMA - All Responses Here

Hey everyone, I have dedicated this discussion thread to organize all of the responses we we saw for the r/Games Overwatch AMA event which took place earlier today. Below is a sorted list of today’s responses.

Click here to go to the thread!

Gavin (Systems Designer)

Miranda (Narrative Designer)

Jon Spector (Commercial Lead)

Winter (Systems Designer)

Kacey (Art Supervisor)

Josh Noh (Senior Hero Designer)

Aaron Keller (Game Director)

Scott Mercer (Principal Systems Designer)

Jodie (Community Manager)

41 Likes

Today it looks like we have:

• Blizz_GavinJF – Lead Narrative Designer
  • Blizz_Miranda – Narrative Designer
  • j-specs – Overwatch Commercial Lead
  • blizz_winter – Systems Designer
  • Blizz_Kacey – Art Supervisor
  • Blizz_JNoh – Sr Hero Designer
  • blizz_akeller – Game Director
  • blizz_smercer – Principal System Designer

And from the community team

• blizz_jodie
  • blizz_andyb
2 Likes

The Junker Queen notably shares a lot of similarities between other heroes, being only the second among others to have certain qualities. Overwatch heroes have all been known to have completely unique abilities that no other hero has. Has this philosophy changed and if so, how will this affect the viability of certain heroes?

1 Like

Any comparisons to Hog end at a surface level, so if that’s a concern then I wouldn’t worry about that

1 Like

bless them. i don’t know why they’re doing this, unless they’re cool with the r/games mods and know the posters are gonna be declawed

1 Like

Ugh, you’re a lifesaver, lol.

3 Likes

Im pretty dissapointied I had 6 questions and get answer on 2 of them whitch is
No plans for echo, sym rework
Can’t realise more tank, support Heroes coze DPS more popular and blizz is more focused on that role.

For me F - Test Failed… Sorry you need do it again,
thank you, next yuh

2 Likes

Well, not just that, although it is a notable similarity. (Unlike Hog, the pull doesn’t seem to stun them.) Junker Queen is the first character who is able to speed boost or negate healing, qualities synonymous with Lucio and Ana respectively. I’m curious as to how this decision was made to include these things to her kit.

1 Like

Well I certainly don’t think it’s going to outclass them since the down time on those abilities will be much larger(Lucio’s passive speed boost being considered)

The anti heal stacking also probably won’t be too big a deal since it would be incredibly infrequent. Lucio plus Junker Queen is the conbo to look out for since that would be a lot of speed boost or very large speed boosts.

1 Like

@ MERCY PLAYERS

I made a question about her getting any potential changes to abilities or a new ability! Please upvote and leave a reply to get it to to the top so they see it if you’re interested in the same topic!

h ttps://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/vicyeq/comment/idcdcno/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

5 Likes

I have asked these questions, let’s see if I get an answer

Blizz_GavinJF
·
2 min. ago
OW2 Lead Narrative Designer
Will we see any more of Efi Oladele (Orisa’s creator) in OW2?

It’s a little too early for us to talk about any PvE content, but I will say that a) Efi and Orisa are still best friends, and Orisa talks about her often b) my kids are big Efi fans.

1 Like

Gwadael
·
58 min. ago
Are we going to have biographies of the Junkerqueen and the new heroes, and maybe some updated ones from the older ones?
I think that the Queen must be in her early-mid thirties according to what you’ve told us, but I want to be sure!

Blizz_GavinJF
·
2 min. ago
OW2 Lead Narrative Designer
Hey! We are planning to update a few bios (including JQ’s) in the future, but not during this beta.

Can someone PLEASE ask about the experimental card! :sob:

5 Likes

11boat
·
1 hr. ago
What will happen to lootboxes and the current currencies (credits, owl tokens, competitive points) once Overwatch 2 goes live? Will they just disappear?

j-specs
·
2 min. ago
Overwatch Commercial Lead
Thanks for your question!

We’ll share a more detailed explanation on all of these topics before Overwatch 2 goes live in October. To give you a quick answer now though, those existing currencies (credits, OWL tokens, and competitive points) will come with you into Overwatch 2. We are not transitioning loot boxes into Overwatch 2, and ahead of launch, any unopened loot boxes will be automatically opened with your account receiving all the contents directly.

18 Likes

Mr_JellyBean
·
51 min. ago
·
edited 43 min. ago
Hi, longtime Overwatch fan, I’ve put in over 5000 hours into the game since 2016 and have had a diamond border for a while now.

Back in 2020 Jeff Kaplan mentioned that player borders will be going away but you will still find a way to recognise playtime, have these plans changed in the time since? Will we see a system similar to player borders in Overwatch 2?

Thanks for doing this AMA, it’s much appreciated.

blizz_winter
·
1 min. ago
OW2 Systems Designer
We do still plan to remove portrait levels for OW2, but we also want to celebrate this legacy accomplishment. The plan is to display your portrait level in your profile once we launch OW2.

7 Likes

playerDbD
·
1 hr. ago
What does the term “Early Access” means for Overwatch 2? Does this means that on this day OW1 is getting replaced by OW2’s PvP or will OW1 shutdown once the game is out of Early Access?

blizz_akeller
·
1 min. ago
OW2 Game Director
What does the term “Early Access” means for Overwatch 2? Does this means that on this day OW1 is getting replaced by OW2’s PvP or will OW1 shutdown once the game is out of Early Access?

We’re using the term Early Access to indicate that this is just the start of many new things coming to the game. We’re launching with new heroes, maps and features, but there are even more of these coming seasonally – every 9 weeks. We recently released a roadmap detailing some of this content, with a new hero coming in Seasons 1 and 2, and a new map in Season 2. Additionally, larger pieces of the game that have always been a part of the vision for OW2 will be released to the game as part of the live service, including the launch of the PvE Campaign next year.

When OW2 launches on Oct 4th it will be a replacement for the current Live Service.

2 Likes

Beefsupreme95
·
1 hr. ago
Will MMR/SR for competitive play be reset on current accounts rolling into Overwatch 2

blizz_smercer
·
3 min. ago
Overwatch Developer
We won’t be performing a complete MMR reset for Overwatch 2, but we do plan on lowering the MMR of accounts who haven’t played in a while as part of a new “decay” system. A complete reset would mean that games would be completely imbalanced for weeks or longer across the entire service, and we don’t think that will be a great experience for everyone.

8 Likes

Infinite_Bananas
·
1 hr. ago
Is there anything you can tell us about the new hero designs or voice lines? The change to Orisa’s personality seems really interesting and I love junkrat’s new design

Blizz_Miranda
·
3 min. ago
OW2 Narrative Designer
Hi! I can talk a little bit about the voice lines and personality changes. There is a time jump between OW1 and OW2, and our heroes have grown quite a bit during that time. Orisa’s change is probably the most noticeable–she and Efi take great pride in their role in Numbani, and since OW1 Orisa has definitely grown a lot more confident in her duty as a guardian. She was new to the job before, but now she has a lot more experience and is ready to defend her home from whatever comes her way.

“Whatever awaits us, I am prepared.” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I mean AMA"s rarely answer any real questions, and anything they say is subject to change… it’s mostly a waste of time.

4 Likes