Overwatch 2 Developer Blog: Designing heroes for a new era

Are you serious? They’re providing actual, in-depth communication complete with the process of how they’ve been working on Moira behind the scenes, what they’ve learned, and where they’re going, and you’re telling them to do otherwise?!

Yeah Blizzard, ignore this guy! This is the kind of communication that the community has been begging for and typically something that gamers can only dream of! Please continue doing this!

31 Likes

Imagine Ana + Moira combo vs Roadhog lol it’d be crazy if the weaken could disable his one shot

It’s really amazing to me that you kids need them to explain how the development process works, but, I guess if you like it, great!

1 Like

I mean what the devs are suggesting and what you suggested are VERY different.

They are thinking of putting the damage reduction on a skill shot. You wanted it on nade.

4 Likes

Yeah I’d assume it would tbh. The same would be true for Ball, or Doomfist. I’d assume fortify wouldn’t block this either. Non-shield tanks could easily spend half the game without damage, slept or bionaded, and it’ll be miserable as they’ll have absolutely no way to realistically counter it.

1 Like

Well yeah, just feels fun shuffling the puzzle pieces then seeing what fits.

Or what you thought fits somewhere fits better somewhere else.

For instance, this is pretty reminiscent of the Orisa change we got.

Or heck, a common theory I see thrown around is how Moira was basically a Symmetra rework, that was then turned into a new hero.

Blizzard said its Moira’s turn to use the dart gun.

People are interested in the “behind the scenes” part of something they like. It’s a crazy concept I know but luckily for you there won’t be a test so you can skip it if it’s not your cup of tea.

3 Likes

True, personally I am not very interested in the Moira changes. I am 10x more interested in what they are going to do with Ana.

time you spent writing that boring blogpost you could have spent on a new ow1 patch.

Not sure about the Weaken as described. Something seemed off. It doesn’t seem like the play making ability they were aiming for.

And have a bad feeling it will come with nerfs to other areas of her kit that aren’t necessary.

1 Like

As a moira player i would just scrap the ‘weaken’ idea right now and start looking in other areas

Whole idea sounds very contrived and actually rather non impactful

An ability that is as hard to hit as sleep dart yet NOWHERE NEAR as powerful :clown_face: ooh reduced healing and damage. Wowwwwww. How is that better than asleep, so therefore they do no damage, and then your team killing them while they are asleep, so they are dead no reduced healing needed

Try again

1 Like

I mean in the blog is said that Weaken would “significantly” lower the damage you deal and the healing you deal, so let’s assume it’s 50% reduction. Yeah lowering Hog’s damage by 50% would definitely stop him from One shotting, and take a breather would only heal 175 HP

1 Like

I enjoy these types of articles. Thanks, Blizz, keep 'em coming. :slight_smile:

Also, thank you for not cramming utility onto Fade. I really didn’t like the feel of it on the various Experimentals, but I’ve had the sneaking suspicion that I could be in the minority and Utility Fade would end up on Moira regardless.

6 Likes

Yeah…because having current antiheal AND weaken in the same composition would mean they might as well delete half the Tank roster.

Roadhog in particular is basically already an automatic throw pick in OW2 if the enemy team has a competent Ana.

Oh dam… there gonna mess up moira i know it. i mean i always wanted utility but there gonna butcher something else and she’ll turn up worse then now

1 Like

Honestly I sorta feel like tanks should just be immune to BS like this. It seems the devs are thinking about adding new mechanics that I feel like are immediately going to be problematic in a game with 1-tank.

Anti-heal, damage reduction, stuns etc. Tanks just shouldn’t need to deal with this. You shouldn’t be able to shut-down the tank easily.

Hold up…

Partial damage output reduction and partial antiheal. (Or partial healing output reduction)

What if… AntiHeal is ALSO getting replaced with Weaken.

And these two Weaken status effects do not stack.

hmmm. I could see this happening but I still believe it would make nade the strongest anti-dive ability in the game, surpassing her sleep.

It would also increase Ana’s dueling potential. She is already very good at dueling heroes but with a nade that also reduces the enemies damage output. I can’t see how you could win against an Ana that nades you.

Maybe that would be fair design, you have to wait until nade is on CD so Ana is vulnerable but then she also has sleep which is also designed to shut down dive attempts.

I could see it happening. I do feel like damage reduction is less problematic than anti-heal as a whole but does introduce new problems.

I think that Blizzard should focus on developing and releasing more heroes. I know that they have been and will be working on it but we have not seen them. It has been more than 3 years since they announced a new hero. I’m new to the game but I am tired of seeing the same 30 heroes over and over and over again. The hype about these changes are not comparable to the hype of a new hero. I want to see a new hero every two months, that will bring Overwatch to life.

1 Like