Opinions on Scatter vs Storm?

McCree’s primary suffers from a brutal damage drop off which forces McCree to fight in close ranges which is where he is least suited given the lack of mobility or survivability. Hanzo’s storm arrow is a more effective version of fth that can be used at any range and is effective against every hero role. You can hardly compare the two.

And that’s not mentioning the advantages of a projectile colliding with a hitmodel vs a hitscan clicking on a hitmodel.

1 Like

Honestly, not sure. Both are abysmal design.

While Storm arrow is definitely less RNG/cheap-o, it is by no means good design. It’s extremely flat and dull, and shoved Hanzo from his own category, into McCree/Soldier’s turf. This means he now competes much more directly with these two, while losing his own unique touches. It’s pretty awful game design that makes balancing more difficult and makes Hanzo overall less interesting to play.

Scatter is a good concept, but the execution was tremendously awful. There’s a reason why basically every MOBA that employs a similar strategy adds in a clause of “Targets that get his by more than one projectile take reduced damage from the second and onward”. Having it instead just be a, what, 500 damage burst? That’s plain, flat-out -dumb-.

It should’ve had higher damage per shard, but allow only one shard to hit each person. Or, if it had to stack up to still allow a one-shot, at least move a large chunk of the damage into DoT so a healer or attentive play can counter it.

Either way, Blizzard messed up royally.

I Have yet to see someone complain about the lack of fall off dmg at range. Only see complains about its general effectiveness.

Because he’s never played at range anymore, so you don’t notice it. What you do notice is Hanzo pushing forward like Tracer and sticking you with his 8 second cooldown Pulse Bomb+

That makes sense, I appreciate the detailed explanation.

I don’t have a problem with the lack of fall off damage, but when you consider it performs the exact same role as fth but can be used at any range with the same effectiveness (assuming you land the shots), its a complete turn around from the initial sledgehammering that saw McCree end up as a glass cannon that requires pocketing in order to have an impact.

Its not comparable to fth. Its a projectile version of McCrees gun on a 8 second cooldown with inbuild spam for more effectiveness against tanks.
Fth doesnt crit is only short range has no cooldown and is only supposed to be combo’d with flashbang. Nothing alike.

1 Like

I think the problem was developer intent.

The devs intended McCree to be an anti-flanker duelist. This is why they originally sledgehammer nerfed FtH, it was too effective at popping tanks. This was also why they nerfed his damage fall off, as he was being a better sniper then the actual snipers.

The thing is that the devs mentioned that Scatter Arrow was meant to be anti-tank, so when it was changed to storm arrows they kept it as anti-tank.

Which is a problem because now it is anti-everything. Which is keeping the meta Brigitte started rolling and helping him counter the dive tanks that should of been countering him.

I don’t remember them ever saying Scatter was supposed to be anti-tank, I specifically remember them saying much the same things about it being easy and annoying, particularly against Orisa and Zarya whom it’d one shot - as they did recently about Tracer’s Pulse Bomb. And this BS is many, many times worse than Pulse Bomb.

Brig and Hanzo aren’t anywhere near each other. How is she helping him bust tanks? You beat a tank with Hanzo by being on high ground, then baiting the mobiles ones back to low ground so you can climb back up again. Nowhere in that equation is Brig necessary.

I also dont recall that, but the said they wanted to keep his high burst damage with this rework as this is intentional.

1 Like

as much as I like them getting rid of one-shots I thought Pulse Bomb’s nerf was totally unnecessary. It’s an ult. Same with the nerf to storm arrow tbh, it’s an arrow to the face- maybe it should be able to kill the lowest hp heroes in the game?

Storm Arrow simply solidified Hanzo’s kit in defensive roles. Now he exerts a more tangible zone of control. The arrow speed increase, seems to be the buff that makes him so oppressive, as people now have to deal with faster projectiles.
Scatter used to be the weapon to rout out emplaced enemies, but was used as a troll kill.
Giving him damage falloff makes him somewhat useless at range, yet he is a medium to long range defence hero. Between the arc drop and the honestly unpredictable arrows at range, you need alot of damage output in recompense.

1 Like

Brig caused dive meta to initially break. People did not know how to counter her, or use that as a segway back into dive leading to Rein/Zayra instead. Once the Hanzo changes came through the increase in consistent firepower, the massive burst of storm arrows, and the faster charging ult as a result lead him to being the goto DPS to combo with Zarya. Not only that even if Brigitte was removed from the comp it did not matter.

Storm Arrow’s power allows him to easily mulch a Winston, and the added mobility of Lunge would allow him to prevent things like barrier dancing from being useful.

Against D.Va it was much the same. It was really easy for him to bait out DM, the added mobility made it much easier for him to evade her combo. Once Dm was out of the picture Storm Arrows to the center mass allowed him to simply delete D.Va’s mech.

Without the dive tanks being viable options against him he reinforced dive as a bad choice. Which in turn made the flankers a lot less viable.

This also conveniently meant that 2 of the counters to Dragon Ball were not viable. The third could be dealt with by just applying damage boost so that the effective healing is neglible in the face of the team lending more damage. Including Hanzo unloading storm arrows into the clump.

Storm, now he at least looks you in the eyes as he kills you. It’s much better than watching him shoot at your feet.

1 Like

Your point about Brig is that she’s disrupted the meta by being a new variable. But then you go on to say that “if she was removed from the comp it did not matter,” yeah… exactly my point. Her existence has no bearing on Hanzo’s rise except maybe the occasional armor pack.

Regarding the tank match-ups- All off those match-ups are still toss-ups. D.va can fire missiles through matrix if she’s getting baited and I think you’re really underestimating how quickly Winston melts 200hp heroes after landing a jump-punch (no punch needed prolly)

All of this is just to say that Hanzo isn’t a hard counter to Winston or Dva like Brig is to Tracer. There’s still a lot of room for skill and error to decide the match.

Maybe if he was being played at range. Like I said above, he’s using Spam Arrow like Tracer uses Pulse Bomb.

Hanzo is not a sniper. Apparently.

Completely agree, at most ranks she’s more of an annoyance rather than a real problem or ‘OP’ hero, unless she was being played by a smurf. The nerf doesn’t feel like it changed much of any of that, just makes her arbitrarily weaker against tanks.

There’s no explicit mention of burst here, just high damage which is what his primary fire was always capable of; these changes which also applied to his primary fire improve the reliability of it.

Or just roughly towards your chest for it to count as a headshot.
Or anywhere that could maybe cause a breeze near McCree’s hat for that matter.

He still has the most forgiving aim for a sniper-based kit.

Projectiles are supposed to be more forgiving than hitscan because travel time

Notice how every single complain is about how it can kill tanks.

Tanks are not meant to be unkillable gods. If their defenses are down they are meant to die. That is the whole point of them having defensive abilities.

1 Like