ONE-TRICKS 'Avoid as teammate' šŸ¤”

Nah, I stand that anyone that wants to have full control over their team (partial or total) needs to form a team to play with them. Be it the one trick that demands a specific player to cover their biggest weakness, or the meta slave that demands all off-meta to play something else.

If you are ok with playing with any random player the matchmaking gives you and work with them, I believe you shouldnā€™t be forced to form a group just to be able to play.

I think a lot of people are thinking this tool will be a lot more punitive than it actually is. As I said, I doubt ā€œone trick hatersā€ will just put on avoid every one trick they meet for the simple fact that there is more than 2 one tricks per tier. And then there are some bad apples that will get priority on the avoid list.

2 Likes

Whilst I donā€™t personally agree with one-tricking, Iā€™ve made several threads defending them against being false reported.

Again, youā€™re saying things that go without saying. Of course this system will be used against one-tricks but itā€™s at least giving people who may have otherwise reported them, a more positive avenue to ā€˜avoidā€™ them if they so wish.

2 Likes

And if thereā€™s more than 2 people you need to avoid?

As Iā€™ve said, itā€™s a good start, but itā€™s nowhere near enough.

Itā€™s a temporary band-aid, not a permanent solution.

The issue comes down to whether the majority of the community are the ā€œmeta slavesā€ or the one tricks. Itā€™s plain as day that there are a handful of characters that people consider to be off meta and in that handful of characters there are only very few players who pull the ā€œI wonā€™t play anyone but themā€ card.

Those people are going to be the ones who are punished. The Hanzo/Sym/Torb players who play the character but switch out if the match isnā€™t going well arenā€™t going to be put on everyoneā€™s list but the attack Sym who only plays attack Sym on each and every map and in every situation? People are going to make room for that person to be one out of their two.

Itā€™s not going to be punitive to one tricks as a whole, but specific people, especially at the higher levels are definitely going to notice a bunch of people placing them on avoid.

Yes, I definitely feel like this is a positive aspect of the change and itā€™s one many of us have been asking for. I donā€™t want to report certain players if I simply have the option of choosing not to play with them.

ā€¦or you could, you know, give this new feature even a day to test before asking for changes.

ā€˜Genuineā€™ toxicity (weā€™re talking absolutely vile, ruin the game type people) imo is rarely encountered (Iā€™m currently in silver) and I feel 2 avoids is a good starting place.

Some people are a bit too liberal with the word ā€˜toxic,ā€™ a player who swears at me once isnā€™t toxic in my opinion, they may have let their emotions get the better of them (but they will still cop a report).

Iā€™d totally want stats on his avoids vs the other high ranking Sym mains, heā€™s easily the most obnoxious offmeta main that most people have heard of.

1 Like

That is the point where we disagree.

For the first weeks, maybe. But as the tool gets older, I doubt many people will keep a grudge for this long just out of irrational spite for off-meta players. Which is why Iā€™m happy the feature have a time limit.

Soā€¦you can be banned for one tricking now?..

And Jeff also said they might increase the count in the future after data is collected and analyzed.

Sorry, but what you want is not going to happen out of the gate. It was done that way once before with Avoid Player and abused as badly as the current automated report system is (which came into the game as a result of Avoid Player getting removed).

As the auto-report feature in HoTS has shown, and the Vote to Kick feature in WoW has shown over the years, the Blizzard playerbase will abuse the living hell out of such systems. So, Blizzard is now more reluctant to put them in full-tilt.

Thank your fellow players who abused the crap. Rough as it might sound, Blizzard absolutely needs to treat its playerbase like children and give them things only in baby steps. History has shown that enough times.

(And for the record, Iā€™ve never been report-banned, silenced, or vote kicked in Blizzard games, but Iā€™ve been playing them for 24 years, including WoW since launch, and have seen outcry after outcry, and abuse after abuse. It isnā€™t unique to Overwatch.)

I think after the first weeks when people who are effected see how long their queue times are their behavior may change. Also itā€™s not about holding a grudge, itā€™s about playing with players whose playstyle isnā€™t compatible for a large majority of the community.

If those players change over time it wonā€™t be a problem, if they continue to be the same then they will just be put right back on peopleā€™s lists when they are encountered again. Even worse for them is that other one tricks will change and become more cooperative while they choose to stay the same. That will only make them more likely to be the ones put on peopleā€™s avoid lists.

Iā€™ve said before Iā€™ve run into more people who have ā€œthrownā€ the game via hero choice than I have of people who have actually jumped off the map or intentionally fed the enemy and Iā€™m happy to just report those people knowing theyā€™ll likely be banned.

No? Did you watch the video, players can avoid up to two people theyā€™ve recently played with for up to a week.

i look forward to avoiding those toxic arseholes who start going ā€œswitchā€ as soon as they see your hero pick

1 Like

I read the post and how he mentions you WI get a warning message if you get avoided too much. Sounds like it leads to a ban. Hardly gonna get infinite warning messages.

Haha, yeah for the next week or so picking Sym or Torb will likely earn ā€˜5 avoidsā€™ from your teammates! :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, with the cap set at 2, Iā€™m not sure if one-tricks will experience longer queue times? :thinking:

4 people on your team tell you to switch. You avoid two of them, four people avoid you. Next game 3 people tell you to switch, 3 people avoid you.

You only have two reports, who are you going to place them on?

Nah, itā€™s a ā€˜warningā€™ in the sense of ā€œIf you keep doing this, you will have longer queue timesā€ but itā€™s not a ban from OW.

1 Like

Kinda the same thingā€¦youā€™re getting punished for something that was previously stated to not be against the rules.

Feels like a roundabout way of punishing one trick and Iā€™m still not convinced it wouldnā€™t lead to a ban. Say you get slow ques, how long will it take to reverse the effect?.

Luckily I usually stack when I play comp

You should be able to avoid as many players as you want to avoid. I have no idea why they would limit it at 2 players. I get a person I want to avoid playing with in the future in the vast majority of my games.

Itā€™s so it can be abused

I meant canā€™t lol
hkkh