One hand gives, the other takes away: Post-beta updates for Mercy and Moira

Personally, I don’t think healing will help mercy all that much. Having increased survival is a much larger boon to her character if she can do all sorts of good movement tech to survive. The beta 1 end change saw mercy boost from 48% to 50% with that one simple survival change to super jump with crouch.

I’m all for giving Mercy more self-agency by improving her flexibility with GA at say being able to launch in any direction and jump at any part of the GA. 55hps is already perfectly sufficient in the lower DPS spam environment with one less tank.

Increasing healing only helps in a few situations like getting ult sooner. Movement is something that is active all the time and the bigger noticeable effect to me.

None of this has anything to do with what I said.

I’d say it does, but you’re just not seeing the bigger picture.

If you think the ratio of a blog post on one specific feature has anything to do with the bigger picture you are bonkers. But I don’t think you believe that, I think you’re just arguing what you imagined what my post was instead of what it actually said.

1 Like

Really liked this blog post - I love hearing the thought process behind these decisions.

With Moira and Mercy, I’m supportive and like this direction. I’m very happy to hear Mercy’s superjump iteration would be similar to the first one. :slight_smile: That was my favorite.

I’m not a Moira player, but did find myself holding to Necrotic orb waiting for that perfect moment. So I definitely understand the thoughts behind that, and sounds like it was really good for her playerbase, too.

They aren’t done with Moira though, be warned. She’s still overperforming which led to this. This was just a first attempt at fixing the kit., they will look at doing something else.

Give us another beta… I can’t wait until October!

:sob:

2 Likes

Thank you for reverting the Moira change. That really tore apart her playstyle.
Thank you for listening : ) <3

Mercys :clap: Problem :clap: Is :clap: Not :clap: Superjump :clap:

Its pocketing, and being a mindless right click + shift bot that has no real value or self agency in being a real team player besides an attached accessory. Not only that, but it keeps certain heroes in an unplayable state both weak and OP whether or not they have a mercy pocket, NOT HEALTHY GAME DESIGN.

One again, pocketing is the issue, not superjump. Please leave that alone.

I would argue that a burst heal would be the way to go, while simultaneously removing the self stun ability and moving it to the ult as it was always intended to be, and then making the main valk beams more powerful and weaker chains. Simple, and its not even a full rework that requires a huge amount of time from the art teams.

Thank goodness they undid the nerfs and other moira change, it was so bad.

Look the debuff is useful and cool but just add it on as a extra effect of the damage orb.
but make it situational.

You aim in general direction and bounce the orb around for max damage and use it to supplement her damage when she’s refilling her heal guage.

Now what you should do is, add the debuff effect as a bonus for scoring direct hits on the enemy with the orb, so when the orb hits and passes through a target it does the damage, but also applies the debuff status.

To balance just make the status last for a shorter duration. (Like 2 seconds total/max)

This gives Moira some added utility, while also adding some extra depth
for skill shots with the orb.

All without ruining her main gameplay loop.

I’m glad you guys are listening to our feedback and we’re able to admit that the Moira changes weren’t the right direction!

As for Mercy, if I am understanding this correctly, the change does seem good. As long as you can continue to control the height of superjump, it will be better. HOWEVER, you absolutely need to remove the resource meter you put super jump on. It is absolutely awful and does not allow for mercy to go high enough or far enough.

Her ultimate needs to be more impactful

Its really not an issue in the slightest. Damage boost doesn’t even help most characters break points in a guaranteed manner at all. The only time dmg bst ever helps at all is in situations where you might be trying to over come someone getting a slight amount of residual healing. Or someone chippd an enemy for partial damage and dmg bst made you hit a threshold. Mercy/Ashe was super power in like season 27-29, one of them because of the headshot was a guaranteed 1HKO in EVERY circumstance.

Mercy healing cna be overcome with a 2v2. Its only strong when playing a acharacter without burst dmg options as ALL healing is beaten by burst damage. With Mercy having none it means Baptiste/Ana are harder to secure kills with due to bionade +100 hp and OW2 now with Baptiste’s 100hp heal on a <50% hp target. Discord is still the stronger team buff to run over Mercy in nearly any situation.

why do people keep saying mercy is bad, she’s one of the best supports.
a good mercy is HELL to deal with.

and is almost a match decider all on their own.

Ill agree to disagree, but being an OG mercy main from the OW1 beta, ive become butter scraped over too much bread. The hero has a lot more potential to be FUN and impactful, and nobody wants that I guess.

Which you have the wrong idea. Any good player can carry quite a bit, but Mercy is not a character that will equate to good player = amazing value above her team. She is and always has been the hardest character to climb with in OW1 and OW2 isn’t’ really that much different. All of your effects are team dependent which water’s down your value. You’ll get more direct value with a good zen, brig, ana, or moira play now that is less dependent.

The fact she has a 48% win rate in Beta 1 overwatch in unmirrored match-ups, but say Brig/Zen hit >55% near the end of the beta went to show that general trend that Mercy is struggling a bit. Despite people’s perception there is more objective evidence to show that the other supports are stronger.

The difference is that some people like Hawnu cry Mercy sucks while Akj whines too much she’s overpowered. The real truth is she’s not really that far from being a perfectly reasonable unit for most of the playerbase especially in OW2.

Mercy is good enough that even in OW1 you can climb to top 500 nearly every season (as any character), but the truth is still the fact that Mercy is like not the Alpha support in any regard.

1 Like

As someone who has climbed 200 sr in the past 2 days by playing Mercy only, I agree 100%. However, what would gameplay that allows mercy to carry look like? I think Mercy should maintain her ability to get value without aim. Too many characters need aim. I wouldn’t want her playstyle to change too much either.

They just need to add 30~50% antiheal on the damage orb that lingers for 2s after it stop damaging the enemy. There, it’s now utility, and Ana isn’t the only anti-healer in the game anymore.

No, his problem is not the DMG Boost, his problem is that he needs more healing power, especially in critical moments and some new ability in his kit.

They also called it a bug. Its not accessible because its a bug that requires specifc timings. So they are changing it because its a bug.