No reasonable counterplay to Widow

I wouldnt mind 1 shots if they didnt happen as often, Widow takes around 1.5 seconds to fully charge a shot and gets i believe 7 shots before having to reload. That and how mobile she is and is able to reach areas many heros cant makes it broken. If widow wants to keep her 1 shot something else must give, weather that is her attack speed, movment or something else

In order for “Lol just kill the Widow” to make sense, it would need to be something like a 150hp Widow, or taking damage disables her Grapple Hook.

i think a lot of people who dont understand the reasons that widow is overpowered and oppressive… should really look at tf2, and how the comp scene HEAVILY limits what items the sniper can use…

snipers in games tend to be balance nightmares, they either feel weak, or their stupidly strong, there isnt much of an in-between.

tf2 doesnt have as strong of and impact due to the player count in matches. sniper is a single target pick class, but against a team of 9. being able to pick off one means your opening yourself up to be challenged from the other 8 players

ow2, only has 5 players. meaning each individual pick is worth twice as much, and the widow only has to keep track of 5 players to know when theyre safe to stand there and get picks

the balance change that i can recommend is to give widow some sort of check, most games use swaying scopes… games like battlefield not only have swaying scopes. but bullet drop aswell.

if you can rework her to be non-hitscan. then most of the issues “should” resolve

Another thing is that having Widow unnerfed and be an OWL meta definer comes with a massive cost for everyone.

The last time Widow defined the OWL meta, we ended with GOATS, which in turn ended with absurdly crippling nerfs to tanks, healers and non-hitscan DPS.

Double Shield saw several heroes massively and unnecessarily nerfed and all because Blizz didnt want to nerf Widowmaker. Orisa’s gutting alone did more damage to the game that 175 HP Widow.

So much of the game has been removed and nerfed, including the downgrade that was 5v5, and all to keep snipers and flankers as kind of the game.

1 Like

What games are you guys watching because majority of OWL has been a sombra tracer fest with hanzo sprinkled in for brawl/sniper comps. People have been playing genji tracer or genji sombra dive in a “widow map” like junkertown as well and have destroyed teams opting for widow there.

1 Like

sombra is literally the second most picked hero in the opening weekend matches what lol

sombra has been broken for years, emp has always been too strong and hack has always been too good for being on a short cd

I dont mean NOW.

I mean historically, Widow being the top dog goes hand in hand with Blizz meta enforcing hard and nerfing or outright every single thing that might counter her (and Ashe, during double Shields).

Am i going insane or are people on this thread just circlejerking things they havent wayched because im 99% sure unless there has been a drastic change today (i didnt watch todays OWL) widow has been passed on by teams even in sniper maps and frequently got destroyed by genji dive or sombra tracer dive???

1 Like

I remember watching a video of some high tier gameplay a while back. It was one of those analytical videos, and I do think this was back when Sombra wasn’t too good. One team swapped to Sombra, and the guy talking said something like “They lost explicitly because the other team swapped to Sombra, and no one knew how to counter her”.

I remember watching that video, but I could be wrong or misremembering facts.

sombra has been broken since ow2 release

perma invis + hack while invis is strong and emp is one of the best ults in the game

People on this forum DO Circle Jerk often. I hate to admit it, but I’m not immune to the jerkery myself, so I don’t always call people out for it unless I see people putting their own feelings over the good of the game.

However, I dislike it when people ignore a point someone’s making, and then misrepresent a single sentence out of a whole post to accuse a person of being bad faith. That’s just wrong.

This might have been an OW1 match I’m talking about. And to find out I’d just have to go back a few months and watch some OWL games, so I just might.

Tell me what support kills Widow instantly before she kills you. If you say Zenyatta you can get off this ride.

1 Like

Can you stop being melodramatic?
Were in that sentence is it lol just kill widow.

It’s about looking why the so called counters aren’t working in a number of maps.

You said where is support widow that one shots people.

It is zenyatta.

He isn’t great against widow or better than widow , but what you asked for is there

It will be funny if zen is the only one shot left.

Can make some people mald.

Well, how much constructive criticism on Sniper design would you like?

Also the sarcasm wasn’t aimed at you, I’m just getting a bit cranky that from my view I’ve been talking about this issue since before the OW2 PVP beta was even announced.

It’s just that we’ve finally gotta to the point where there’s few enough “hair on fire” problems that they can finally get around to it.

Heck, I was concerned about Sniper issues since before anybody else was talking about 5v5.

All the way back to immediately after the 1-3-2 test was concluded.

1 Like

Barriers still makes widow feel like trash, be cause her damage/dps is garbage if she isnt landing crits

So reaper+lucio is used as a combo similar to pharah+mercy. Lucio has to pocket the reaper in and out for him to have a similar effect as tracer but for larger health heroes/tanks. Its not dependable in the current metas which is why you see tracer picked over that combination (can do the same thing but with less risk and investment). Widow is being pointed out because the map design amplifies her strengths and negates her weaknesses to a noticable level compared to just about every other hero. When junkrat had a similar effect in closed spaces with his mines as widow currently does, they jumped on nerfing the mine damage as an example of a similar situation in ow2.

Barriers? Dive? Literally the walls?

You can’t see her, she can’t see you.

Symmetra has a very high winrate with her own niche maps, she is fine.
People just point out widowmaker more because she’s more meta and she counters high sustain supports.

First, Symmetra’s impact is at the start of the match and her being swapped right after the initial TP is extremely common.

Second, Symmetra’s impact in said ‘‘strong maps’’ is much less pronounced than that of Widow’s case, its nowhere near as pronounced, and her bad maps are terrible while Widow doesnt have terrible maps, just ‘‘not overpowered’’ maps.

Third, Symmetra’s impact on that couple of maps is exclusively due to team TP. If your team doesnt take the TP, build around it or build around Sym, Sym goes directly to F Tier. Such is not the case with Widow in any map or even most comps.

Finally, NO ONE wants Sym to be a team TP slave that has little skill expression and agency because of this… gimmick. People hate how mandatory she feels just for team TP, and Sym players from metal to GM HATE that her kit is gimped nerfed due to it maybe potentially breaking a map.

They are extremely different cases.

1 Like