New year, new Bastion. šŸ¤–

As amazing as that idea is, i would like to focus on fixing the main kit first.

(I did once consider giving this ability to Flashbang, making it ā€œBlindā€ scopes that catch the flash in itā€™s view. Butā€¦ thatā€™s a bit specific)

I feel like this thread has been met with a civil, and considerate beginning.
Thank you, all.

I think that would be a great step towards changing his kit for the better and making it unique to other characters.

1 Like

Honestly if we are to add anything onto his kit, i would love to see it involve Ganymede.

Such as maybe an early warning system, or even an enemy tracker. Having Ganymede follow a selected enemy, letting Bastion know where they are for a time.
(Red outlined, perhaps for the entire team and only effecting the one enemy, as well as being useful as a ā€œFocus this targetā€ Ability)

OK, so have Ganymede hit the enemies with a hammer so theyā€™re seeing stars lol. Seriously though, something like a flashbang would be a first for overwatch and if it means that it makes Bastion into a more well rounded character than I think this would be great bc I really do believe that he needs a rework.

1 Like

Yes i do agree, but i donā€™t see a correlation or a reason for Bastion to be able to blind his enemies.

If weā€™re talking strictly additional abilities, i would personally suggest this:
ā€œGanymedeā€™s assistanceā€

• One enemy is selected when in view by the player, who becomes red as Ganymede follows them for a short time, a duration meter showing how long this effect will last on both playerā€™s screens, similar to a resource meter. As well as a ā€œTrackedā€ pop-up similar to Sombraā€™s stealth alert when visible.
  • When tracked the entire team can see the enemy.
  • When tracked the enemy can hear Ganymede chirping.

This would allow Bastion to track potential threats such as flankers and enemies he wishes for the team to focus, as well as providing team assistance.

Heā€™s a sentry and being able to blind his opponents would give his team a huge advantage especially since weā€™re talking about tanks being able to create space should he be moved over to that role. Having Ganymede track opponents would defeat the purpose of him becoming a tank as it would seemingly be at odds with this role.

1 Like

Why would a tracking ability be at odds with the role?
In general iā€™m not forcing this idea, but i would like to say that the main problem is still his main kit.

I donā€™t want a ā€œReworkā€ which removes the hero, obviously.
I do believe that the OP is the way to go, but i am still seeking feedback.

Missed this earlier, so sorry Friend.
(Happy new years! ^,^)

Yes, please Blizzardā€¦ i believe this is the way to turn this hero into what it should have been all along, as a real Tank.

I would like to bring something upā€¦ because i feel like itā€™s very specific and a way to counter this version of Bastion, if you must.

Genjiā€™s deflect would shred the shield if you shot it, making this even more dangerous for the Bastion to be caught out.

1 Like

Nah, Genjiā€™s deflect isnā€™t really that much of an issue if youā€™re alert. If you shoot into Genjiā€™s deflect and your shield gets destroyed then thatā€™s terrible play on your part. Focus other targets while his deflect is up or go to sentry mode and blind his teammates.

1 Like

Exactly.

(And there are frames of it that deflect before you can stop shooting at times)

Which means if you jump in front of a Bastion, and either him or his team shoots the Genji, itā€™s even more of a counter.

My point was, this is a more punishing encounter if the Genji uses it properly and catches out the Bastion.

Do we really need to rework him? I get that he isnā€™t played in comp much, especially the upper tiers, but might it be okay if he remains an easy tier champion for beginners and people who want to dps but canā€™t aim and donā€™t know how to position? Maybe itā€™s okay for there to be easy heroes that the pros donā€™t play.

I canā€™t think of any way to rework Bastion that doesnā€™t fundamentally change him as a character or make him even more frustrating to play against. Heā€™s already hard to kill when behind a shield or two, which he usually is. Buffing him is just going to make him a must pick

1 Like

Firstly, have you read my OP? :3

And secondlyā€¦ itā€™s arguable, butā€¦ heā€™s honestly not hard to fight in the slightest.
Any mid-range player can take out a Bastion without a second thought.

And yes, i do believe we need to rework him.

He is unplayable in real matches where the outcome matters.

For such absolutely huge buffs, a pretty negligible ammo nerf and an Ironclad removal unfortunately wonā€™t be enough to compensate by a long shotā€¦

Either more compensation nerfs must be included due to Bastionā€™s current terribly - designed state, or even better in my opinion, another method of a soft (or even total rework) will have to be followedā€¦

These arenā€™t as substantial as you may think, and i believe that in practice it would be rather balanced.

But as i said in the OP, this is all debatable.

Would you like to propose a rework that keeps Sentry Mode as a primary fire option?

Because thatā€™s who the character is, who the hero is.
Bastion is a large gun on legs, that uses that gun to attack.

If that is changed, Bastion is no more.

Fair enough.

How about this:

1. Each of Bastionā€™s transformation animations last for a 25% less time duration.
  2. Bastionā€™s Recon mode DPS increased from 10 - 20 to 16 - 26 .
  3. 50 shield HP added to Bastion, but only when he is in Recon mode.
  4. Bastionā€™s Sentry mode DPS when he is firing through shields is decreased by 40%.

All of these changes are going to reward players who make risky plays, who flank and who are not staying completely stationery for whole matches. His overall survivability is also going to change, along with the effectiveness of his primary fire in order to compensate for this large shift in his playstyle, which will render playing Bastion behind a shield as a most of the times non - viable solution, which therefore eliminates any problems in that spectrum and the overall frustration if playing against said comps.

1 Like

Why make teamwork less viable?

Why nerf teamwork?

Letā€™s not make Bastion a Reinhardt sized flankerā€¦ that should be a playstyle for risky players, but not his ONLY playstyle.

This does nothing?

Nothing.

Recon mode is mostly fine, itā€™s Sentry thatā€™s underpowered as it is, and too risky to use.

Getting up should be faster than it is, but setting up should be a window to counter him, because once heā€™s set up, he should be harder to counter than he is in Recon.

Because when a team running Bastion is able to have even basic coordination between them (mind you, if they communicate and especially actively the situation becomes a lot worse), then the team countering the Bastion will need to devote great amounts of active communication/coordination in order to fight against this naturally disadvantageous situation, because for the grand majority of the gameā€™s player base (AKA low/mid - ranked players), active communication/coordination between teams is pretty much non - existentā€¦

Therefore, what comes up is a fundamental design problem that simply has to be fixed if Bastion is going to be reworked in any way in the futureā€¦

Ehh, of course it does??

Ehh, yeah, when the Bastion is all by itself without any support and shields in an open space, yeah he is underpowered.

But calling that an extremely rare exception and an isolated out - of - context playstyle would be an understatement and especially so far in the gameā€™s lifespan.

Well, if thatā€™s how his design was intended to be, then it a complete failure from that aspect as wellā€¦ Because with the amount of support Bastion receives in the grand majority of games, a few seconds arenā€™t enough to even touch the Bastion most of the timesā€¦

Which is already trueā€¦

1 Like

This literally boils down to ā€œWhen the enemy have coordination, the other team should be able to counter it by game designā€ Which i detest.

This would add a teeny tiny about of health, only in recon, that would be chipped off every few seconds anyways.

Iā€™m starting to think that being frustrating to play against is something people are going to have to learn to handle.

1 Like

What youā€™re describing here would be true if both the team running and the one trying to counter the Bastion comp both required the same amounts of active (or not) communication/coordination between the team members in order to achieve their goals, I which case I would 100% agree with youā€¦

But clearly whatā€™s has actually been happening in the game with Bastion isnā€™t even close to the above situation as I have already explained and therefore thatā€™s why it constitutes a fundamental design problem, above everything elseā€¦

1. Itā€™s armor weā€™re talking aboutā€¦
  2. If you want 75 added armor, thatā€™s fine with meā€¦ This change especially is designed to help Bastion when heā€™s in Recon mode, along with overall compensate for the major nerf I included in my proposed balance changes.