Mercy was not "nerfed 10 times", let alone 15

So one of the biggest problems I’ve seen around here with recent Mercy complaints is the inconsistency in complaining about her number of nerfs. It’s 10 one day, then after adding 1 to the total it’s somehow 13, then recently I saw someone claim it’s now gone up to 15 for no apparent reason. So I decided to clear everything up and get us all on the same page.

A few things to remember:

1. I am not counting PTR changes, only the ones that made it to live. The simple reason being that it’s called the PTR for a reason, Blizzard is allowed to test and adjust as they see fit.
  2. Bug fixes do not count* as nerfs. I’m really tired of this misconception for the game in general. If something is bugged, it’s not supposed to be working that way in the first place. Making the game work as intended is not the same as nerfing a hero with the intent of bringing their power down. (*There is one possible exception, which I get to at the bottom)
  3. For obvious reasons, I’m only starting after the September 19th, 2017 patch.

October 17th, 2017

• Guardian Angel
    – Players can now glide past a targeted ally using the jump key
    – 1) Cooldown no longer resets when Resurrect is activated
  • Valkyrie
    – 2) No longer resets or reduces Resurrection’s cooldown
    – Now gives players a bonus resurrection charge

I just want to point out that Valk got the compensation buff here as well. It’s almost as if they were worried about Mercy from the beginning.

November 16th, 2017

• Caduceus Staff
    – Increased visual readability of Mercy’s healing and damage boosting beams
  • Resurrect
    – 3) Cast time increased from 0 seconds to 1.75 seconds
    – 3) Mercy’s movement speed is now reduced by 75% while casting
    – 3) Can now be interrupted when Mercy is knocked back, stunned, or hacked
  • Valkyrie
    – While active, Resurrect no longer has a cast time
    – While active, casting Resurrect does not reduce Mercy’s movement speed

I marked 3 bullets down under the same number. Why? Because it’s all the exact same change: adding a cast time to Res, with each point just describing how the new cast time works.
Those 3 bullets, plus Valk’s extra 2, could have accomplished the exact same with a simple

• Resurrect now has an interruptable 1.75 second cast time which slows Mercy by 75%. (This does not apply during Valkyrie, however)

3 details about 1 change =/= 3 changes

January 30th, 2018

• Valkyrie
    – 4) No longer makes Resurrect instant
    – 5) No longer grants a bonus Resurrect charge
    – 6) The speed bonus Guardian Angel receives when activating Valkyrie has been decreased by 50%
    – 7. Duration reduced from 20 seconds to 15 seconds

This one is pretty self explanatory. No overlap, no compensations, no room for debate. Every single bullet changed Valk in a unique way. I will say, though, that one of these nerfs was simply taking away a comp. buff that they put in before, so take that as you will.

August 9th, 2018

• Caduceus Staff
    – 8) Healing beam reduced from 60 healing per second to 50 healing per second

And there you have it. Mercy has had 8 negative, unique changes across 4 patches since the initial rework went live.

That said, if you really want to, I’d be willing to also include the recent bug fix of Mercy not being able to boost certain, unintended ults. This would bring our total up to 24!
(Just kidding. Of course it’s 9, still less than what I’ve ever seen a Mercy advocate say in the recent months).

Granted, after all this, I still expect people to try to argue the number, so please, let me know why other bugs should be included, or why the one cast time change should be counted 3 times instead of once, or why a specific PTR change that never made it to live should count. I’m honestly curious about how the number ended up getting so inflated as time went on, especially in the past month.

42 Likes

The specific number of nerfs is such a weird thing to even get hung up on anyway as if there is an upper limit to the amount of nerfs a hero should get if they’re consistently overperforming and warping the game around them. I don’t see what it’s supposed to add to any point that it’s made an accessory to and just seems like something that’s put there to be put there.

68 Likes

Bless you for this, I wanted to make this topic myself after watching the number of nerfs cited increase despite there having been no patches. But I was too lazy to dig it all up. Thanks!

16 Likes

I thought the nerfs were 24. How I’m supposed to exaggerating now?

10 Likes

You’re exactly right.

Is someone overperforming? Nerf. That one not enough and they’re still overperforming? Nerf again.
The total of nerfs is irrelevant, what’s important is the end goal of balancing.

What’s even funnier is when people complain about how “Blizzard never does multiple baby steps” with nerfs but then complain when Blizzard has to actually take multiple steps to nerf someone down to an appropriate level instead of trying to do it all at once.

This thread was more just so when people do feel like it’s an appropriate argument, they’ll at least be accurate about the number they’re talking about.

17 Likes

As well thought out as this was it wont change anything. The players who make these exaggerations are beyond reason. Logic and facts dont matter they have a perceived slight that will never be corrected and nothing can fix. It’s a waste of time trying to reason.

9 Likes

“I am not counting bug fixes as nerfs regardless of whether or not the reasoning was blatantly shoddy, the decision arbitrary, and the time of fix being over 2 years later after everyone complained about dragon-boosted ults for about a meta with no word from the development team except for that they were going to NERF dragon and that was the only change.”

Uh huh. Honestly, the fact that you did not include that makes me question your entire list and I would sooner guess she was nerfed at least ten times. I am too lazy to check; however, so I am sure I will just use “nearly a dozen” times in the future if I for some reason want to talk about how many nerfs she was subjected to.

13 Likes

“I’d rather not worry about the facts when making baseless exaggerations”

4 Likes

It’s funny you bring that specific change up.

I was aware going into this that that’d be the most debatable change, so I already outright said I get it if you want to include that.

6 Likes

It is not a fact. You are the one ignoring reality and apparently reading. THEY STATED THAT A NERF TO DRAGON WAS UPCOMING. Guess the only change, go ahead, I gave you a context overload, you can figure it out. That is correct, good sir. Only the “bug fix” changed dragon. It was otherwise untouched. There you have it, according to the developers themselves, they nerfed damage boost. That is logic.

And the fact that OP conveniently left that out makes me question the validity of everything else which any rational person would do. I can only verify the number of nerfs myself, at that point, and I am not about to do that because I could not possibly care less if you paid me. Okay, actually, for the right price, I could care.

8 Likes

Hey, regardless of whether anyone disagrees with you on Mercy’s end-state or not, thanks for compiling such a detailed and organized thread :smile:

I really do agree that what matters most is the end goal. If Mercy was still overperforming (regardless of the change it takes), what matters is that whatever change is implemented will stop that.

I also think it is interesting that people ask for baby steps when it comes to balance changes, but then a lot of Mercy mains are asking for a full revert and work from there. But that is not a baby step, that’s pretty significant.

Also, I haven’t seen you in a while. Nice to see you, Slyther. :wave:

9 Likes

And the fact that you decided to comment on my validity before even reading the entire post brings your own validity into question.

You didn’t even read the entire bullet that you’re talking about.

9 Likes

On the first day of Nerfsmas my true devs gave to me, a reworked overpowered Mer-cy…

2 Likes

Hey, friend. They addressed this in the post. Everything you are talking about.

They even said, if you want to count it as a nerf, then you can - the number is 9, which is still lower than the rest that people are stating.

It’s cool to have that opinion, but…ya know, they addressed it…and you keep going on as if they didn’t!

6 Likes

:wave: Greetings friend! :wave:

2 Likes

How do you know I did not read it? I did, fam, that is how I noticed that you did not include it. Saying, “I can include it” is very different from just doing it and your judgement is questionable. I am not sure why you are discerning this as some sort of discernible difference.

Beyond that, I could care less. I mostly just put it there to be a beacon of fact for everyone else to be aware because, again, you conveniently left those out of your post despite acknowledging that it would be more controversial.

I’m starting to think that maybe the world doesn’t need MoreHeroes after all…

7 Likes

Wow, if they are only 8, that changes everything and the rework was actually a great success. Mea culpa for criticising it.

4 Likes

Never nderstood this either
I thought four or five sets of nerfs one being deliberate sledgehammer with no regard for how Mercy felt to play afterwards was enough, no need to elongate the number.

1 Like

This is the second post I’ve seen about this… And the first one was enough, like why does this matter?? Also if its nine people were only one off sooo.

1 Like