Mercy Ultimate Concept - Angelic Protection

Angelic Protection

• Has a cast time during which she announces that “Heroes Never DIe!”, similar to Sound Barrier.

• If it is successfully cast, any teammate within the radius (probably LOS as well) will receive uninterrupted health regeneration of 60hps, including Mercy herself.

• Mercy’s staff will power up, the numbers in my mind go from 90hps to 120hps (1.5x-2x normal healing output), and damage boost will go from 1.3x damage to 1.5x or 1.6x damage. In total, Mercys hps could reach from 150hps to 180hps (stacking with the regen) on a single target, on her own in this Ult.

• Mercy will not fly, and she will not chain heal. She will still be somewhat vulnerable, but the effect will last even if she dies (also like Sound Barrier). 60hps on its own isn’t unbeatable, especially with Ultimates of your own.

• Teammates that have this effect applied to them will have a soft glow, reminiscent to that of being Resurrected. Upon casting, Mercy will glow just as she used to when casting Resurrect (but will not be invulnerable).

• Edit: The duration would be either 6 or 8 seconds. Sound Barrier and Transcendence are both 6 seconds, and Nano Boost and Coalescence are 8. What does the community think is more appropriate?

• (I’ll leave this point here, but I believe it’s the worst part and should be scrapped in concept. Burst healing would completely break this concept, essentially giving it a bit of Transcendence and Sound Barrier on top all else.) A wave of health could be sent out upon a successful cast as well, say, 250-300 health (This would be one of the first things to go / be lowered if this idea sounds too strong).

The goal if this Ultimate is to do what Valkyrie was intended to, but more properly. Mercy will not be unkillable, but she will be safer, and she’ll have more room to maneuver. The background 60hps does Valkyrie’s most basic and weakest job, and the powered up staff gives Mercy a chance to sustain or amplify a single target, while the rest of her team has a bit of protection. It differs from Nano Boost as there is no damage resistance, and Mercy herself has to be close to the danger and can be eliminated (unlike Nano Boosting a Genji and Ana being pretty safe in the back).

We have all seen that 60hps isn’t enough on its own to warrant an Ultimate; it’s (it meaning all the healing on all the teammates in question) so easily burnt through with an Ult or two from your own team. 150-180hps on a single target isn’t terrible for an Ultimate either, as Moira can do 140 on several allies while damaging enemies. And the damage boost would come at the cost that healing, and as these both would be so powerful, choosing which to use and on which teammate would be critical.

TL:DR; I think this is a decent concept worthy of discussion. I’d love to see what kind of criticism this sort of idea recieves, as well as what it seems to get right on paper.

4 Likes

Thats actually a really good idea. I used to be a mercy main, but since the meta I can’t play as her. this would probably fix that

2 Likes

Too much healing is a bad thing. I’d rather they rounded her out better offensively.

1 Like

Whatcha mean offensively? Do you mean an “Enabler” sort of Ultimate, like Nano Boost? Or something for her base kit?

1 Like

Bring back the pistol damage boost in valk.

Figure out a way to let her pistol withot weapon swapping. I’m fine with losing blue beam if that’s what it takes.

See that just sounds like a sound barrier rip off to me.

I don’t think letting Mercy shoot while healing is a great idea, even though Moira can. While it’s true that Moira has a higher hps and can more easily switch between damaging and healing, Moira also needs to damage in order to heal. Also, Moira has a solid 50 dps (both her grasp and her orb are 50hps), and Mercy has 100dps (potentially 200dps if you land criticals). Tbh, two things I’d reconsider about her base kit are damage boost (for some other functionality in the same slot) and Resurrect (I believe an ability to provide direct support like Biotic Orb, Biotic Grenade, or Amp it Up would be far better than what Resurrect tries to do).

Whilst I like the idea I don’t think we need another bulk heal/protect ult (trans,sound barrier,coal,rally)

I get why it seems like that, and it’s something I kept in mind while thinking it up. The main differences are that Sound Barrier provides extra health all at once to save the team from high incoming damage, while this concept would enable a single ally (which could be swapped at Mercy’s discretion) while putting a “healing aura” on the rest of the team.

Tbh, the burst healing upon cast is probably the worst part of the suggestion.

1 Like

Every other healer can. Lucio, Brigitte, Zen, Ana, Moira. All of them. Except Mercy. It’s part of what makes her such an unappealing and limited hero.

1 Like

I think a more proper way to go about that issue would be to replace Resurrect with an ability that provides some means of self defense, likely in the form of crowd control (similar to Brigitte’s stun, or Lucio’s boop) or a debuff (similar to Discord).

This is a fine idea that won’t happen but we can always dream. I don’t like the burst healing as it may be too powerful (Zen can heal 300 in one second. If Mercy can heal about the same immediatly while having better healing outside of ult, it seems a bit too much)

I really wish her ultimate would enhance her single target support more than anything else as she is designed this way.

Something I just thought about could be that mercy now heals herself as well when healing someone else during her ult, but they share the damage they take.

It means mercy could chain herself to someone that is charged by reinhardt, take the blow with them and heal back up with them. Just an idea, just a dream.

1 Like

What do you think that her Ultimate should do instead, then? It is meant to be a support Ultimate, after all. Something more along the lines of Nanoboost? I feel that this Ult is a bit of a hybird between bulk healing and enabling. The team’s protection is only 60hps, and you have to choose between heavy sustain or increased damage.

Mercy is fine on the Self Defense front. She has GA and her passive, as well as her Ult. It’s offensively where she flatlines.

I agree with the burst healing. I don’t think it should be removed from the list, as leaving it in there will show why it’s a bad idea (it being the burst healing, I hope my concept isn’t that bad :p), but I agree that that point was a horrible suggestion.

The regen of 60hps on Mercy would essentially be her healing herself. And I think that with a powered up staff, alongside a bit of background support as I described above, would kinda fit this hope you have.

And @Cheat2Win: I understand a bit where you’re coming from, but Mercy isn’t meant to be a hybrid support like pretty much every other. Some people like this about her, some people can’t stand it. Moira is the closest other Support we have to a sole Support, and even in comparison to her, an ability to either increase utility or provide cc or debuffs seems to be the right way to go about that.

I really like this pure support role in the game and i wish they’d release another healer who’d do that.

I wish it was a male pure healer but whatever x)

1 Like

Mercy is also the only hero that cannot burst heal.

Lucio can’t burst heal either and Zen only has burst heal with his ult.

Mercy has the highest sustainable heal

Res is sort of a burst heal lul. Bring back someone from 0 to full.

Lucio can’t either. He can drop the beat, but its temporary and has a long cast animation.

Zen sort of can, but it’s tied to his ult, so I don’t count it really.

Lucio can amp it up, which is his own form of burst healing. Zenyatta has burst with his ult, as you said, but also offers a debuff for all teammates.