Mercy is the perfect support

Hey guys! I am a support/tank flex player but I mostly play Mercy. I’ve mained her since the 5-man rez era.

And just to start things off, I’d like to say that Mercy DOES take skill, but it is the MINIMUM amount of skill from all the heroes (except possibly Briggite). It’s pure game sense without any mechanical skill but she still needs it.

But that doesn’t matter since the way Mercy is played is very different than any other character in the game. Mercy is the only character in the game whose SOLE PURPOSE is to help her teammates.. She’s the only character in the game that is useless without her team and yet she is one of the best characters in the game. All the other supports can do useful stuff by themselves. Some examples on the top of my head are:

• Ana can deny enemy ults using her sleep dart
  • Brigitte can carry games by herself
    • P.S. I really like this character as well and I hope the devs fix her properly.
  • Lucio can boop the whole enemy team off the map or stall the point forever in overtime
  • Moira can kill enemies, even behind cover with her damage orb
  • Zenyatta can kill the whole enemy team by himself. Especially if your name is Jjonak :stuck_out_tongue:

All aspects of Mercy’s kit can’t be used without any of her teammates around. Heck even escaping the enemy requires at least one teammate in line-of-sight. Except maybe, the pistol. But that won’t carry games unless the enemy team is really playing badly.

Mercy players are not there to defeat the enemy. They are there to support their team. And that is why I believe that Mercy is the perfect support. So unless they make her literally unplayable, I’ll keep having fun playing as her.

P.S. I fully agree with all the nerfs that have been given to Mercy after her rework. I also felt OP playing as her during that period. Any broken hero should get fixed *cough*Brigitte*cough*

So for all the Mercy haters, please stop giving Mercy players crap. A lot of us actually enjoy being an actual “support” for you. Not just because we have bad mechanical skill *cough*Idohavebadmechanicalskillimworkingonit*cough*. Other Mercy mains actually have good mechanical skill, like Animetic.

EDIT: A few days have passed since I made this post and I've been reading more topics about Mercy in the forums. Right now my view about attacking the "whining" Mercy players which I have changed. Though I still stand about everything else that I've said above in my post. I, and maybe a lot of others, still regard Mercy as the perfect support and enjoy playing as her.

Mercy HAS have her impact greatly reduced after the rework and all the nerfs. No one can really deny that statement. Even I experience more instances where I can’t save my teammates no matter what I do.

So now, just take this post as as love letter to Mercy and all players who still main her, despite her nerfs.

Original Post:
And for all Mercy players whining that she’s boring to play, maybe she is just not for you. She is a 1-star difficulty hero but has a huge impact to the game. The only changes that could happen to her without any nerfs is that she gets harder to play, which I’m okay with as long as she keeps her essence that I described above.

Addendum, post #74 below

9 Likes

I agree with everything you said, except this last little part. I, personally, still find her Core gameplay fun to play, which is like you said, the zooming and zipping about, Healing everyone. What I find boring though, is Rez, which takes you out of the fight and plants you in one single spot for two seconds, and Valkryie, which just… kinda does all the Healing/Escape for you. It just takes the most fun out of her kit. That, and Valkryie just doesn’t feel… Impactful. Especially with such High Damage heroes now, like Doomfist, Hanzo, who can just chew right through the healing or just forget the healing completely. That, along with the recent Healing Nerf that makes her main job even harder to do… ;~;

20 Likes

Except she WAS for us when we purchased the game, until the rework and that’s what’s unfair.

25 Likes

Yep, although healing in itself is fun, flying everywhere is what makes it most enjoyable to do.

For the rez, I fine with it. It actually takes proper planning to determine if I should keep healing a key teammate or to rez someone else. Although I agree that it does feel sluggish, the instant rez after the rework was very OP.

For Valkyrie, I don’t really mind the free flying, I actually enjoy it and it’s not really that useful without teammates around. She can’t fly fast enough without another teammate in line-of-sight. Even to stall the point she needs a dead teammate to anchor GA to to properly stall. Otherwise she’s just as easy to kill, maybe even easier as she can’t fall to the ground as fast to escape a McCree or soldier ult by herself. For the chain healing, it works both ways for me. I have a lot of games where everyone is just at critical health for some reason. And the chain healing makes me feel really good when everyone comes out alive. On the other hand, I do feel really sad that Valk can’t save the team from a big team fight. I feel useless just flying over the grave of my teammates.

Care to explain how I somehow enjoyed old Mercy over reworked Mercy then? Since her difficulty rating hasn’t changed.

6 Likes

That feel when her strength of strong single target healing gets nerfed after her strength of resurrecting allies getting nerfed too.

12 Likes

They killed Mercy by making her kit as janky as possible to play.
She’s supposed to be a high flying mobile healer who dashes in and out of the fray to avoid trouble; Which she does for the most part until you look at what the rework added.
Not only do her new abilities slow down her gameplay but also make her less interactive than pre-rework, Valk is a crappy ult compared to other support ults but it makes your job 3x easier which is no fun and Rez is a literal chore. Only good thing that came out of the rework was her GA boost because it emphasizes her mobile gameplay rather than being Valk and sitting out of the fight floating like a drone.

13 Likes

No Lucio is, you can have 5 DPS and he’ll still support your team and say you’re going to do great.

5 Likes

Everyone has to enjoy the game, not just us. And that’s where the problem started to happen. We were having fun playing as Mercy but other people were not having fun when the old Mercy was around so they had to change her. What they did after that is what tore the community apart. Personally, I’m just happy that they kept her essence of being a pure support.

But I’m not saying we should just suck up if we don’t like these changes. I would be happier if Mercy became more fun to play, I have a few thoughts on how she could be better as well. My issue is that other “Mercy mains” pulled out their pitchforks and just complain to bring the old Mercy back. Or to stop the nerfs. They changed Mercy for a reason. That’s why if we want everyone to like her, we should start from just being happy that she exists, hence my post. Then we should understand both sides of the problem and work our “complaints” and “suggestions” from there.

Apparently, going DPS Mercy is now more viable than support Mercy. So no, She is not the perfect support.

4 Likes

the problem with the reasoning of “people found her unfun” is this whole argument of fun is subjective.

its ok to tell a mercy who says mercy isn’t fun that fun is subjective, but when the rework happened fun was one of the leading arguments used against her.

10 Likes

Ya and a lot of people don’t have fun against Brig, Junkrat, Pharah, -insert hero here that someone doesn’t like-. Why was only Mercy reworked to become dull then? Why is it fair that we have to suffer with a boring hero as long as some whiny people are happy? Seems like a double standard and a very vile one at that.

There will never be a time when everyone likes something, it just won’t happen.

6 Likes

So now our fun is ruined over the expense of people complaining about an ultimate being unfun… Is it just me or is every other ultimate in the game unfun to play against when pulled off successfully? Also, am I just supposed to ignore that the rework made her even more unfun to play against?

By nerfing her healing output… Okay.

Everyone tends to complain about something. As of now, the most popular Mercy change is this:

No pitchforks or reverts to be seen.

Indeed. Stop the nerfs and rework the hero again. I don’t see a problem with that.

TL;DR

Just suck it up…
Weird you said this then:

Somebody has already done that.

Will take you atleast an hour to read.

8 Likes

Everything in this statement is true.

1 Like

because old mercy was way too powerful and impactful and current mercy is balanced and isn’t as strong?

Is that why she was F-tier in pro tournaments? Because she was powerful and impactful? Loool, calm yourself.

3 Likes

because she WAS the best support hero, clear as glass. It wasn’t fair for people that wanted to play other supports, including mercy mains themselves

https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-11-24-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-season-2-review

https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-02-22-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-season-3-review

http://www.omnicmeta.com/2017/02/pc-competitive-ladder-season-3-report.html

No. (20 characters)

5 Likes

idk why you tellin me to calm down, im very calm.

also, can we not use the OWL as valid arguments? like, ever, regardless of the topic. the OWL is completely different than the rest of the playerbase.

Reread what you just wrote please.

2 Likes