Mercy 1.30 | Good Progress! But Misses The Mark

DISCLAIMER: I would like to preface this by saying that this is my opinion. You are entitled to agree / disagree with it, but let’s keep it positive. Remember, this is an opinion. An opinion that may differ from your own. Thanks!

So I hear about Mercy getting some patch notes in the PTR, and upon looking at it, the following changes are to be expected with her:

And for those who are wondering, yes, this is actually another Revert! Wow! What is this now? The third time Mercy has been reverted? Who would’ve thought that they would actually revert Mercy. I mean… I thought for sure I was told that “A Revert Will Never Happen”. But I digress. :blush:

“No Reverts Eh?”

Jokes aside, yes, Mercy has received a revert of sorts in Valkyrie, from 50hps to 60hps. I also think that her Ult cost was reverted as well at 15%, but I’m not exactly sure about that (someone correct me if I’m wrong there). But regardless, ladies and gents, a Revert is a revert nonetheless… and it shows that the team aren’t afraid to bring back preexisting parts of Mercy’s kit. To that, I say. Good progress by the staff and the team! I think this is a step in the right direction with testing out various reverts on her kit. Do keep it up!~

However, while I feel that this is definitely a change that will certainly help her current state, I can’t help but feel that this is still bittersweet. And of course, the reason being that… the elephant is still in the room.

Resurrect is still on E instead of her Ultimate, and it’s still on a 30 second cool down.

“But… Why tho?”

I have read various threads on this, hundreds of posts, and feedback regarding Mercy’s state since the rework, and I will have to agree with them here. The issue with Mercy isn’t that she’s not meta (In fact, a lot of Mercy players DON’T care if she was made into a niche pick) the issue is that she is still going to be unengaging, unimpactful, and unrewarding to play. So while I am happy that this means that Valkyrie should be strong enough to at least sustain damage from a Winston, I’m not sure if it addresses her core issue. Flying in the skybox with Valkyrie and being essentially a glorified spectator cam, just isn’t engaging to play by a lot of people, me included.

“As if that wasn’t already obvious by now right?”

I’ve said this in the past, and I will repeat it once again. As long as Mercy has Ressurect on E. They will continue to struggle with this tightrope of balance and Mercy being engaging / Impactful to play. And people will still find her unengaging and unimpactful. While a revert of Valkyrie is great, with a single slowly cast rez on a 30 second cooldown, I predict that this revert will unfortunately still not be enough to justify her as a choice over the utility given other supports, and that many people will still find her boring to play - and rightfully so. I also feel that this once again puts her at risk at becoming a Must pick in the competitive scene (since if there’s one thing Mercy with Valkyrie does well, it’s rising in pick rates in competitive), which will cause even more hatred against the hero yet again… Bringing us all back to square one with this Rework.

I believe the solution to this problem is simple.

1. Revert her Ultimate to Mass Res again.

2. Give Mas Res on Q LOS, 30% Damage reduction instead of invincibility, and a 1.25s cast time, which is lined up with the duration of her “Heroes Never Die” voice-line. Optional: Give her Res charges that she can build up individually through healing, then use exclusively during her Ult.

3. Scrap Valkyrie in Place of a skill based preemptive save ability like Pacify or Halo or Nerf it’s duration and make it her E move.

4. Or you know… They can always just check out Titanium’s Thread which explains in detail what would help her kit. :blush:

Regardless, I believe that this will solve her problems with potentially being a must-pick again, while still keeping her fun, engaging, rewarding, and impactful to play. But while I think this misses the mark, I do commend them for realizing that Mercy isn’t in a great state right now, and are still willing to make changes and reverts to her kit. Ultimately, we will have to see how this all pans out in the coming months. Until then. :blush:

“This was a Huge Success (r)”

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

22 Likes

As simple as I can put it…

Agreed. Some good points.

2 Likes

I really like the idea of ress charges!

Like, you can use your ult charge to res 1, or you can heal the tank a bit more to res 2. On and on.

2 Likes

Great posts as always! :100: :+1:

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

:shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

Spreading positively and ice cream, one Mercy at a time.
2 Likes

I hate Valkyrie as a ult but nonetheless this is a good boost.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Exactly so. Something that would make the rezzes earnable instead of just given every 30 seconds is something I feel would really help her kit, while still being engaging enough to be directly dependent on our skills as Mercy players (better mercies will be able to get more rez charges through their healing for example). :blush:

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed the read! :smile:

I feel the same way, I think nevertheless, this will help Valkyrie. I do respect those that love Valk and understand how they are super happy right now (as they should be!) But I also understand how others would be disappointed in the change. My biggest hope is that regardless, this doesn’t turn Mercy back into being a must pick… I guess we’ll have to see how this all pans out. :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls

2 Likes

Honestly, I just do not understand what is wrong with 60 HPS. I wish they addressed that in the developer update… Or the change notes where they explain why they changed certain things. But overall, it is an improvement. So I cannot complain too much.

1 Like

Great post OP :slight_smile: It’s a pitty they went with a valk change since the rest of the dev update was so good. They could have made it perfect by reverting Mercy.

I do note it got put out only like a month after the prev update which is great so maybe they’re talking a new policy of more frequent communication? I hope so! A tonne of people have been asking for it so it’s great to see they talk more.

I hope next month they announce a revert! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

I agree. And even though technically this is a (partial) Revert, it is mainly a revert to her Valkyrie healing. I’m hopeful that next month we will see another revert of sorts in the Rez department. I still want to make it clear that I personally don’t think that these changes are a bad thing, but yeah… it just could have been a bit better. There’s still a lot of issues with her that haven’t been addressed I think, but I dunno, we’ll see how this pans out. :slight_smile:

I don’t believe that the 60hps is the problem. I think the issue is that a lot of people feel that a partial revert (which is still a buff to her healing currently) to her 60hps she’s had in the past, won’t be enough to make her more impactful, rewarding, or engaging. I guess we’ll have to wait and see if that’s actually true.

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls