Mei is the worst hero in the whole game

She’s not terrible just pickrate wise, but in every other aspect as well.
Let’s be honest, when you go up against a Mei, are you having fun?
Because i’m sure as hell not having fun.
I feel like Blizzard had a certain mindset when making this hero, they were thinking “alright, lets make the most annoying character in video game existence.”
That really is what it feels like. Especially when Mei can annoy the hell out of you no matter what team you’re on. Her Ice Wall, being the reason.
People STILL use Mei to trap their own team in the spawn, and other areas.
The wall is one of the worst things about her. Sure, its used for mobility, but was that the original intention of that ability? It can act as a shield to block pretty much anything, but what good is a shield in this game if your team can’t shoot through it? It is literally her most broken, and infuriating ability. Sure, you can break it, but you’ll be lucky to get that much damage in before it breaks on its own. Its also annoying when she uses the wall to trap you in the ceiling, hanging you like a pinata at a childrens birthday party as the enemy team can shoot at you, while you can’t shoot…or do pretty much anything back to them.
Mei’s ice wall is a fundamentally broken ability that only causes more problems than its worth. It is another tool for griefing alongside the old teleporter.
Her Cryo-Freeze is just plain cheap. A Free Oppurtunity to escape death, to make that little 1v1 with the enemy way more unfair. Although, what would it be if it didn’t heal her? Still what it is, temporary invincibility. Like a mini-zenyatta ult on cooldown. It just sucks when you’re about to kill a Mei, only for her to Freeze herself and turn everything around with no effort.
And her ultimate, where do i even start?
Just like D.va’s ult, she has to throw it, preferably into the enemy team. But her ultimate is WAY better than D.va’s, mainly because it can go through shields, and even WALLS!
Not to mention that the radius is just HUGE! It IS possible to escape, if you’re a high mobility hero like Genji or Tracer. But if you’re any other character, pray that your support has a ult to make you endure it, or you can kiss your life goodbye. When you do get frozen, you are frozen for a VERY long time.
About FIVE seconds, with the slowdown added right before that. The one thing you shouldn’t do in any FPS game is stand still. Imagine being forced to do that for 5 seconds against your will. That’s what Mei’s ultimate is.
And lastly, her weapon. When it hits someone, they get slowed down until they are eventually frozen. Just like Mei’s ult, except you get frozen for TWO seconds. She also has a icicle shot that effectively makes her sniper #5. Because it does a huge amount of damage, and it doesn’t have damage dropoff. (I may be wrong about that, but still, the damage.)
So in conclusion, her weapon is strong, her abilities sound overpowered, and her ultimate sounds deadly, why is she the worst character in the game?
Because she is off meta. Yeah, blame the meta for not bringing her into most team comps. But honestly, i should be thankful for that, as a person who mostly plays tanks, the characters that are the weakest against her.
Not only is Mei one of the most annoying heroes in the game, but she is one of the most powerful off meta heroes. Her abilites can basically grant her a free kill, almost every single time. The only reason why her pickrate is low is because she does have counters. Pharah, Sombra, Orisa, and other Snipers can make quick work of her, but chances are those characters are gonna get countered by the OTHER dps on their team before they can kill Mei.
Mei is not difficult to play, by any means. That’s the problem. Her kit is too simple, too useful. She can cheat death and make the enemy team cry for mercy. (No, not her, mass rez is gone anyways.)
Do not believe any of the star-rated difficulties the game says about its characters. She is NOT 3 Stars in difficulty! She is a weapon of misery and destruction, and she needs a complete rework. Make her take more effort to play, but not make her entirely useless. When i die to her, i shouldn’t be WAITING for it to happen, it just makes it all the more infuriating. She just feels artificially difficult to play against.
Long Story Short, Rework Mei.
Make her FUN to play against, or at least not annoying.
Make her ice wall into something that doesn’t annoy BOTH teams.
Make it so that she can’t cheat death as easily as she could.
It just makes me all the more sad when i realize both christmas events are centered around her. I’d rather have coal, thanks.

13 Likes

Nerf Mei thread? Now we’re really reaching.

Edit: I know this is more asking for a rework but making mei less annoying without weakening her sounds tough

1 Like

Not necessarily a NERF, but more or less a change. A rework if major changes are needed. She just isn’t fun to play against, and one of her abilities can easily get her reported for gameplay sabotage.

3 Likes

I’m very surprised to find this thread in the current climate, Mei has been the subject of displeasure since the launch of this game, but I never thought I’d discover that players still have a hard time with her. I believe when you claim that Mei is the worst hero in Overwatch, you actually meant she is the most easy to grief with. I find it funny how you believe cryo freeze grants Mei a cheat death card while in my experience, when you’re using cryo freeze, that’s down time and it severely impacts your performance, and it usually means your healer aren’t performing well enough, and if ults are popping off left and right, what good is a cryo freeze when all your teammates are dead and you’re nothing but a fish in a barrel.

14 Likes

Yes…

I AM having fun. I LOVE going up against Mei’s :slight_smile:

I like playing as her, with her or against her. She is a unique and interesting hero.

Those people can die in a fire, and, more importantly, Blizzard should be able to detect them and ban them. They are giving a good hero a bad name.

You put it BEHIND their tanks. They are now split from their team, and can’t retreat. You have turned a 6v6 fight into a 2v6 fight heavily in your advantage.

It has a lot of escape potential, and is more survivable than D’va ult. People survive it more than D’vas ult, which should give you an idea about its actual danger level.

It is kinda a bad ult, but it is useful for zoning people out, and it does last a reasonable amount of time.

She has never been meta. And a quick look at her damage per game will tell you why, she has the lowest of ALL DPS, and it is also lower than all the tanks.

Ana / Mercy are the only ones lower than her damage per game.

Her is a DPS who’s strengths are NOT around damage - which is why she is interesting.

Then play as her. See how far you get. She is fun on a stick, and you will be giggling like a mad thing while you play.

But, she isn’t strong.

11 Likes

I’m not meant to be happy if I get frozen, seeing her happy chubby face as she introduce an ice cream inside my brain. But the Mei player is meant to have fun here.

Wall does have a few problems, even accidental ones where Mei will try to use her wall to do good, but will instead trap an ally that’ll die because of that, or accidently protect the enemy from an ult… there are problems for sure with this, but well.

My main problem with this is that even if they updated the visual, it’s still visually confusing in term of height range, it freezes you even when above what looks like safe. Her gun kind of freezes you from a farer range than what it shows too.

She’s clearly really good and deadly, but I’d consider you lucky to fight people who realized it, because there ain’t that many.

1 Like

Mei is not that strong, so I find it funny when they try to pull off a Mei when I am winning as Mei(its the case 8 times out of 10). Same with Sombra. I cannot be the only one that has seen this happening, more so nowadays.

Darling, dont use them like they are Genji (yes, the usual suspects are Genji mains), specially Mei.

I know Mei v Mei and Sombra v Sombra is a nice matchup, don’t get me wrong, but they don’t fight like the characters are supposed to. What is the point of picking Mei if you are not fighting as a Mei should???

lmao someone got spawncamped by a mei

3 Likes

I will admit to doing this, but only to toxic people who start talking down on the team. It’s sort of my passive aggressive way of dealing with them before I can report them.

Mei unfun nerf yada yada Brig unfun nerf yada yada Moira unfun yada yada

I was saying to my mate how under utilised she is. We had a great Mei on our team the other day and I mean was just u believably good. Perfect walls, perfect stalls, perfect ult, perfect flanks, freezes. why is she not played? She just is so powerful in the right hands. But I guess not every hero can be top tier…

I think it’s the sym problem. Just teams not working with you… because these uneepicked heros can work oh so well

looks like someone was impaled

The TC strat was to use a text wall. Not as effective as an ice wall I’m afraid. Could you break it down for us. STOP BLOCKING SPAWN!

I don’t have fun going against a lot of heroes. Lucio, Ana, Widow, etc. But that doesn’t mean there’s a problem with them.

That’s a community issue, not a Mei issue.

Blocking damage, blocking chokes, separating players, moving players. Those are the main uses of it that we know of right now.

One ice wall column has 500hp. If you get half your team to shoot at it then it’ll dissipate fast.

I see this rarely. That’s more of a bug than intentional design, I’m sure.

The community being dumb and misusing it doesn’t make it “fundamentally broken”.

Same could be said for Translocator, Wraith, Recall, etc. Mei isn’t the only hero with a get-out-of-jail card… And unlike the latter 2 it’s more affected by latency.

Nerfing heroes out of annoyance over trying to reach balance has always been a bad idea.

A lot of things suck in this game. That’s just the nature of it. Doesn’t mean it needs changing. It sucks when I get hacked or sniped but that doesn’t mean they should be gutted.

Blizzard was trash before it could go through shields.

It can’t go through walls… Idk what you’re talking about.

If you position poorly and leave yourself no escape, and/or Mei sets it up properly, maybe with a well placed wall to support it, then yeah, she deserves some payoff for that. You gonna complain about an ult being able to zone/kill people?

It’s reliant on LoS. If you’re out of Snowball’s (the machine) LoS then you won’t be frozen. Just like D.Va bomb. And finally, trading a support ult for an offensive ult isn’t uncommon. And unlike stuff like Grav, Dblade, etc. you don’t always have to use a support ult to counter it. You can just position smart.

Why are you not complaining about Grav instantly pulling people in and keeping them there for almost as long? And don’t say because Grav charges slowly. You can get Grav in 1-2 fights if you’re charged enough, and it’s not hard to get charge nowadays.

Your first mistake is calling Overwatch an FPS like it can be compared to other FPS games. It’s a MOBA played in first person. It’s going to have elements to it that are considered unorthodox in other shooter games.

Its range is as long as how much I’ve climbed this season (not a lot).

Yes, it doesn’t have drop off. But it’s a projectile. No projectile has drop off. That’s the compensation for having a travel time.

And you say you didn’t even know that. How are you supposed to have any shred of credibility when you couldn’t even be arsed to take 10 seconds to fact check the hero you’re complaining about.? Lol.

A lot of heroes aren’t. Most of Overwatch is easy. Because low skill floor, high skill cap.

1 Like

Leave Mei alone, she’s balanced but she still suffers from bugs that makes her pretty vulnerable and unreliable.

Fun is subjective, for example i hate getting sniped, trapped and getting exploded compared to getting frozen and headshotted.
If you’re out of position or engage alone, you deserve to get punished. If you play tanks, expect to see a Mei in a game, because that’s her role to counter tanks

That’s her most difficult part of her kit: a good wall can change and influecne the game, a bad one will harm your team. Experienced Mei-ns know it’s useless to wall the exit of the enemy spawn

It has some bugs (sometimes it spawns in different places instead of desired ones) and it relies mainly on map geometry to work.

But there is a problem: Mei in cryofreeze is immobile, so she can be surrounded easily and killed. Also the cryofreeze still suffers the favor the shooter issue: if you get stunned or shooted in the same time cryofreeze activates, it won’t and most of the times you will die

So, her ultimate it’s LoS: this means it the area of effect can be cutted and even small objects can cut the LoS, making it useless. Also it’s preposterously easy to escape, because any hero with enought mobility or escape abilities would survive. Also an issue got reintroduced as stealth nerf: now she can lose again her ultimate, when instead it should active even if you get stunned or killed.

Again, it’s damn easy escape her freeze: just use escape abilities, stun her or kill her before she kill you.

Totally untrue. It’s a projectile with cast time, and from long distances you really struggle to place an headshot with an icicle. Also it does up to 150 damage with an headshot (less than 170, 250 and 300 damage respectively from Ashe, Hanzo and WidowMaker), and it even has a lower fire ratio compared to McCree (1.2 shots per second vs 2 shots per second), so she’s not OP as you think. I explained the need of falloff removal in this thread:

Thank also her issues and bugs, and all her counters. Another reason why she’s not popular it’s because she needs great team coordination, projectile aim and gamesense: these two things distinguish a good Mei-n from a bad one.

Again, this is totally subjective: i absolutely hate Spamrat, Roadhog, Hanzo and other heroes.

Classical quote of someone who didn’t played Mei enought to have a rational idea about her, go read this thread i made, and you will discover how many things you need to know and practice to play her effectively: Tips to play Mei

You won’t use freeze+headshot combo, with random cryofreeze and wall all the time.

Behave yourself, i’m done with these crybabies who pretend off-meta heroes are OP only because they’ve got stomped by someone who has more experience than them

3 Likes

Basically this.
(Well said Str1kernaut)

Mei in her current state is balanced. She has a low pickrate because:

She doesn’t.
Like I said, Mei is balanced.

We shouldn’t rework (or buff/nerf) heroes because of someone’s feelings.
(There are players who have different feelings than yours after all.)

It isn’t.
If you’re talking about the event brawls, then what about LucioBall?

Leave her alone. There are much bigger problems than being trapped in spawn for what 4 seconds?
Get a grip -__-

Mei has never been “fun” to play against. Being slowed / frozen sucks.

But she is in a good place right now because she serves a niche roll and does it really well. She a-Mei-zing when used defensively on some maps.

I’ve been seeing it a lot lately. If I’m on a roll with Sombra, getting successful hacks and plenty of elims, then often someone will switch to Sombra. But by then I’ve already got my first EMP ready and they will be behind on ults all game.

They will try to hack me, but I can out shoot most of them in a 1 on 1 duel so it doesn’t help much. Symmetra is a bigger problem as she can create no-hack zones with her turrets, as can Torb.

if mei got reworked into an actual overwatch hero this game would be p much 10/10, thats a huge kink in the outer visual of the game, the fact that theres such a huge thorn in the side