[Mei-gathread] Does Mei feels balanced and underpowered at the same time?

Junkrat spam, Pharah spam… hm… also Sombra

Sombra is perfect for this job.

1 Like

I feel like Mei should still get that ice skater ability. I think it would help her role to stall out a little better. When Mei dies, the team loses a good staller so having her travel back to point on her own I feel like it would make her a little more useful.

Also good for chasing down that annoying dive enemy if you’re feeling ballsy lol

I would love to see Mei’s primary fire boosted a bit more.

1 Like

I still think they should allow Discord and Damage Boost (from Mercy and Nano) to help Mei freeze targets faster, this would allow her to better synergize with the other supports instead of just Lucio and his Speed Boost (which funnily enough is also something that counters her)

3 Likes

I never thought this, sound damn good

2 Likes

Ah cool! New thread! But… is there a way to go back and read the old thread? or is it gone? All my old posts linked to this account aren’t showing up on my profile either…

1 Like

Well, we can report Mei bugs on PTR by following the formula proposed here:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/ptr-bug-report-forum-guidelines/38

So, we will do for every Mei bug separate posts: one for the cryofreeze bugs (favor the shooter). one for the blizzard ones (ultimate disappearing, but this could be done for all projectile ultimates that disappears), ecc

Old thread if you want it: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759356748

3 Likes

I just made a bug report about Mei’s Cry-Freeze.
Let’s hope they will see it and fix it.

6 Likes

Cool. Looks like they won’t be keeping up the archives of the old forum forever, so I went ahead and archived the entirety of the old Mei-ga thread just in case.

1 Like

Update:

They are aware of the Cryo-Freeze bug and are working on a fix.

10 Likes

Thanks a lot, new milestone incoming. What about the projectile ultimates bugs? Well, i probably will do a video about it if i can, but i will extend the problem with heroes with the same issue (Tracer and probably Zarya)

2 Likes

The problem is that those are not bugs.
These are intentional changes.

The issue is the Favor-the-shooter mechanism in Overwatch. This allows enemies with stun abilities to stop projectile ultimates after the cast time.

What Blizzard could try is either lower the cast time (and keep the cast animation), make it no longer cancelable or give it a favor-the-defender treatment.

Also, Zarya’s ultimate doesn’t has a cast time. The reason for this is because she doesn’t has a cast animation for it. She literally shoots it like a secondary fire. Because of this can It not be interrupted with stunning or killing her.

3 Likes

This is what i intended, because Mei loses the ultimate very often because of the cast time even if the drone is in the air, this could be solved reducing the cast time (as it used to be in the past)
BTW great job again for the bug report

2 Likes

I did some testing with Mei’s ultimate.

• It takes 0.5 seconds to grab the robot. (cast time)
    In this time can she be stunned/killed and lose the ultimate.
  • It takes 1 seconds to throw it. (throw animation)
    It seems always around 1 second and it doesn’t matter how far you throw it.
    It can be deflected and eaten during this time.
  • It takes a total of 1.5 seconds to have it active. (cast animation)
  • It stays active for 5 seconds.

The reason why Mei lose her ultimate after the cast time, is because of the Favor-the-shooter mechanism in Overwatch.
It doesn’t matter if this 0.5 seconds has passed, because the animation may not have ended on the screen of the enemy with a higher ping.
Because of this is her cast time not exactly 0.5 seconds anymore.

I can see only 3 ways how they can fix this.

1. Decrease the cast time of 0.5 seconds.
  2. Make Mei not lose her ultimate if she is stunned.
  3. Give it a Favor-the-defender treatment just like certain abilities have in Overwatch.
5 Likes

I can’t believe this is finally happening… aaaaaaaaa

4 Likes

I think once Snowball is at Mei’s hand it shouldn’t be canceled. I’m kind of fine if she loses it in the first 0.5s if blizzard is intended to be a cast time ult, but after that I think Snowball should always drop to the ground.

Also thanks like really a lot for letting Geoff acknowledge the cryo problem <3

The problem is the latency and the Favor-the-shooter mechanism.

Mei is supposed to lose her ultimate if she is stunned, but only in the first 0.5 seconds. After that has the robot left her hand.
But thanks to latency and favor-the-shooter mechanism is it possible to stun and cancel Mei’s ultimate after the 0.5 seconds. You might as well raise this to 0.7 or 0.8 seconds.

This is why you often see your already thrown ultimate dissappear when you get stunned.

The fix to this could be:

1. Lower the cast time (to 0.3 seconds) and keep the cast animation.
  2. Make projectile ultimates work like transformation ultimates and let the player keep the ult charge if the player is stunned.
  3. Make it favor-the-defender just like defensive and teleporting abilities so it has always a higher priority than the attacking enemy.

I for one think they should make projectile ultimates work like transformation ultimates.
The third option would be great for ultimates that needs to be used in team fights like Lucio’s and Reinhardt’s ultimate.

I never expected to get an answer to this. And definitely not from Geoff.

I’m glad they acknowledged it and are working on a fix.

(Thanks Geoff.)

5 Likes

[quote=“Bloggerman-2672, post:58, topic:243”]
The fix to this could be:

Lower the cast time (to 0.3 seconds) and keep the cast animation.
Make projectile ultimates work like transformation ultimates and let the player keep the ult charge if the player is stunned.
Make it favor-the-defender just like defensive and teleporting abilities so it has always a higher priority than the attacking enemy.

I for one think they should make projectile ultimates work like transformation ultimates.

The third option would be great for ultimates that needs to be used in team fights like Lucio’s and Reinhardt’s ultimate.
[/quote]I think the best option would be remove cast time ultimates (as for abilities I’m not too sure) from favor-the-shooter, it would be systematically better without implementing unnecessary buffs.

btw, what do you mean by “work like transformation ults”? I thought those ultimates will also drain the charge bar once Q is pressed.

1 Like

Well, the ultimates rework wanted to remove this behavior, so the way of how projectile ultimates works should change and work exactly as a grenade: you throw it and it gets activated and doesn’t disappear if you die or get stunned

1 Like