Matchmaking? Small player pool?

You also forget that the weekly challenges were changed.
You have to play all 3 roles now instead kf just playing 2 (dps and tank for most), you have to get 250 assists (mostly done by supports) and the team kill challenge (more controlable by dps heroes) was removed and replaced by something that is more achieveable by supports.

While it’s true that less players might play overall, there is still the possibility that the percentage of support players was raised one way or another.

The lack of transparency has been an issue for 7 years. At one point, we knew they were allowing a roughly 1000 SR gap in ranked for people to group with. Could assume match making was that wide as well at the time.

It’s changed since OW1, though, so me, and I’m sure many others, are curious as to how far that gap has widened since the release of OW2.

This is what neglecting a game look like. Balancing each season or mid season(joke so far). Having Orisa, pocketed Hitscan/ Sojourn or anything with Mercy is getting old. Bad balance is leading to terrible matchmaking with people not wanting to play this game.

Then…

Umm the one you just… nvm

This must be the universe telling me to get off the forums lol

Cheers

3 Likes

Yeah, perhaps you should, since clearly you have nothing useful to say.

You just said the exact same t… :joy:

1 Like

Sorry. I am not a conspiracy theorist or member of the echo chamber. I have my own free will have some some experience with how these systems work, added with hours of game play.

When someone criticises the match maker, for something the match maker doesn’t even do… They should be told. Their misunderstanding is what causes them to tilt unnecessarily.

2 Likes

When you say this I’m assuming you are implying you coded or dabbled in something like this for a video game before outside of just playing overwatch like the rest of us? I like hearing the ins and out of game coding and design.

Clearly you don’t, because you just told the person saying this is nonsense that they “have nothing of value”.

What you want is people to agree and blame the match maker for things outside of the match makers remit.

2 Likes

so i stand by my previous demand–separate the queues into solo vs grouped. No other game I’ve played makes solo queue people play against stacks. If the response to this will be “well then queue timers go up” —they go up for who exactly? the stack? Then, stacking is an issue.

That’s before you reveled you knew things hand on. So I’m here willing to listen. I’ll even take back what I said lol

I see a lot of people being like “HOW U KNOW” to stuff like “its been like this for years” but a link to that isnt provided.
Jeff posted on the old forums a while ago, but … since its the old forum that old forum post is gone.
Thankfully, reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4p5a63/jeff_kaplan_has_addressed_matchmaking/

Edit: Also, while i dont necessarily agree with cuthbert/doland’s opinion on the matchmaker, he has compiled dev comments on the matchmaker in this thread, which mentions SR chasing MMR in the first quote

3 Likes

Next to the amazingly detailed explanations in that reddit post, I think one of the more salient points in that post was this:

So while it is possible for a mismatch to result in a stomp, not every stomp is a mismatch. If every time a team dominates another team it is viewed as “the matchmaker is broken”, the problem we have is with perception and expectations. Look across all pro sports. Even matches happen every night. Stomps happen every night. It’s a reality of any competitive game. Does that make being on the receiving end sting any less – probably not.

1 Like

Uhhh what is going on? You guys dumping links on my sake?

I still want to know what you mean by this. Do you code for games? No sarcasm, genuinely curious.

I just get really frustrated when i know theres a source for information but its not provided

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I feel ya.

No worries.

That‘s a very strange take and a even sadder generalization of the playerbase.

Same argument actually when politicians try to counter transparency and equally wrong.

Playing a comp game, it was obvious, I just stopped and told everyone to let them win.

I don’t even care any more.

No. The problem is the matchmaker… making games on average mmr… but not balancing by role.

So you get stomps. As the 3 roles are not even remotely equal in value.

1 Like

He’s not entirely wrong though. You merely need to look higher up this thread and already you can find plenty of examples.

But even without that there are reasons why you don’t directly get to see MMR.
Biggest one being that it allows them to adjust your SR without affecting the matchmaker. Which allows that start of season rank demotion, so that you can then see it go up most of the time throughout the season.