đź“Š Make Role Queue optional?

Optional Role Queue could be implemented with either separate or combined modes (image credit: GreyFalcon).

5 Likes

A further segmentation of the players would likely lead to longer waiting times.
This could result in more players quitting the game, which could further increase waiting times.

I don’t think Blizzard can afford any experiments in this regard right now.

22 Likes

Depends on who goes where…enough dps leave RQ and the times would go down even if you lose people…but of course the number of tanks and heals leaving for the other also factors in…we wouldn’t know til it actually happened

And if enough people were to leave…it kind of begs the question of why have it forced if people don’t find it that important

3 Likes

Role Q already is optional for Quickplay.

When it comes to competitive:
They are not going to make 2 separate competitive modes.
It would split the player base, increase Q times and lower the matchmaking quality.

Having Role Q and non Role Q teams in the same mode is also not going to work out since you can’t balance around both of them at the same time and it would invalidate separate Role SR.

8 Likes

Wouldn’t work.

This would not only further divide the community but also make queue times even longer for ALL roles if there are people choosing the option to play a different form of competitive.

I don’t think there is much to do about it anymore. Bliz made role queue and it’s here to stay :frowning:

They’re already willing to split the player base…it’s what QP is at the moment

And you can absolutely have separate SRs…and you can still balance for 1 particular thing…it’s what we have for every other competitive mode in the game…the game isn’t balanced for any of them…that’s not what makes them competitive

2 Likes

You know, you can just go play quick play classic, so you can have your 5 dps and 1 support or tank .

It’s like people forget how terrible Overwatch was before role queue. It wasn’t uncommon to have 5 dps and no tanks.

8 Likes

The biggest exaggeration in games history…you could play 20 games of 222 and if you got ONE 5 dps game “why are ALL my games 5 dps!!!”

Not to mention my QPC experience is that just about every game is either 222 or 132…It’s not even the case when it doesn’t matter

7 Likes

And you can easily tell how badly it affects the matchmaking because they try to keep the Q times low.

So, who is getting the advantage when they face each other:
Role Q or non Role Q players?

Are we really comparing Arcade Modes with competitive now? :roll_eyes:

You can still balance the game for 222…make that clear up front…if you’re choosing to play classic you know that going in…and if my experience over almost 4 years is any indication…people will sill play 222 most of the time anyway

And no I’m dispelling the fallacy that is - balance is what makes comp “comp”…we’ve never had that…even in the era of balancing FOR 222…every other thread is about game inbalance

2 Likes

You still do, but now it’s several players trying to DPS as tanks and supports, and you also have 5+ minute wait times on the actual DPS queue.

Why would anyone who plays tank or support even touch comp classic? Unless the narrative of all DPS is untrue the comp classic would just be a DPS release valve and the folks who want current comp are not affected.

And if more people flock to comp classic then something is wrong with new comp that classic fixes.

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea. Tanks and healers will stick to role queue since no one wants to solo heal or solo tank. Half of dps players will stick to role queue. The other half will play “unlocked” queue.

Dps queue times will now be shorter in role queue.

I dunno about the biggest, but it’s definitely the case. Most games had reasonably balanced teams organically. Role-Lock wasn’t an issue until GOATS swept OWL and made for bad viewing.

unfortunately, there are a multiple differences between qp and qp classic even after achievements was (thankfully) added to classic qp in a recent release

see above, plus there is no such option for those who wish to play competitively

I understand and accept that this is how you personally feel about role-less queue, but there are many many players - myself included - who prefer role-less queue over 222. For me, 222 has made the game far less fun to play

Speaking only for myself, and I am a support main who occasionally plays tank - I vastly prefer role-less queue over 222.

I should add that I see other tank and support players in qp classic in almost every single match to the point that I only have 4+ dps in about 1 in 12 matches, so it would seem other tanks and supports enjoy role-less queue as well.

If role-less competitive existed, this is where I would spend the bulk of my playing time

2 Likes

Once again, the 2/2/2 role - queue supporters outnumber the haters 3:1, even in a place as historically negative against the systems as these Forums…

I’m truly wondering by now for how much longer these kinds of posts can keep popping up… Breaking news, 2**/2/2 role - lock isn’t going anywhere and it isn’t becoming optional** (for obvious reasons of course), not in Overwatch 1, not in Overwatch 2 and the sooner you all realize it, the better.

The majority of the player base is in favor of the system according to literally every single source of evidence about this game out there. The devs have poured most probably tens of thousands of dollars into the system, along with one entire year of development, so it would be outright stupid removing or turning the system to optional.

Now that’s out of the way for the 30th time, can we please let this subject rest, because it has gotten beyond tiring already??

Sigh…

222’s here either you people like it or not. There will be no such things like this what you’re suggesting here.

For Overwarch 2? Perhaps.

I know of several invalid sources of data - mostly but not exclusively polls conducted by players on reddit and/or these forums - but I dont know of any valid sources of data that support the claim of a majority

1 Like