LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

The last game I bought partially because of itā€™s (potential) LGBT representation was Overwatch. And before that it was Dragon Age Inquisition. Itā€™sā€¦ been a while since anything good has come around, which is why Iā€™m bitter and angry.

1 Like

And DA:I was a HOT MESS too. God Iā€™m sorryā€¦ and OW has just been dangling things in front of us for ages.

I can see where your frustration comes from, and I do not deny that Iā€™m also pissed off and tired of being strung along, which is honestly what it feels like.

Bioware is on its way out so like, our one bit of (so-so writing) solace is gonna die in a few years. All we got to look forward to is the new Elder Scrolls game, since Bethesda has a lax ā€œanything goesā€ approach to romance. But their uhā€¦ romance is like ā€œHey I like youā€ ā€œCoolā€ and thatā€™s it lmfao. Soā€¦ yay?

as far as Im concerned, paladin danse is canon gay rep. farkas and vilkas tooā€¦

But he ugly :pensive:

ā€¦ everyone sleeps on Preston ;c

macready was ugly, danse was handsome. still romanced bothā€¦

Didnā€™t they confirm one of the other characters from Paladins is gay? Fernando, I think his name is. (Iā€™m not sure, I donā€™t play Paladins.)

MacCready I got a mod for to fix his teeth because they freaked me out hahaha

1 Like

no, paladin danse from fallout 4, idk anything about paladins the gameā€¦though that certainly would be interesting to hear.

Oh, my bad. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

ā€¦sameā€¦macready is awesome as a character, but his looks? i had to get mods for thatā€¦

i didnt care for fallout 4 and its romance system thoughā€¦if his story didnt end so poorly, iā€™d of preferred arcade ganon from new vegasā€¦

DA:I was okay for the first 300 hours, then I started seeing all the cracks in the foundation. Overwatch, like you said, has done nothing for years now.

Iā€™m looking ā€˜ā€™ forward ā€˜ā€™ to Greedfall and Cyberpunk, but then thereā€™s the whole disappointment factor to take into consideration as well (which is why I didnā€™t buy AC:O and ME:A was just a MESS). So everything has been disappointing lately. But, Greedfall is developed by Spiders, and while their games are so-so, at least they delivered a decent, even good gay romance.

Skyrim, while I appreciate the no gender locks, the world is still full of heteronormativity outside of it. I donā€™t remember any gay/bi TES characters, but granted Iā€™m not too familiar with the loreā€¦ at all, actually.

2 Likes

Arcadeeeeeeeee best boy right there!!

But yeah the romances are ā€¦ they donā€™t exist in Fallout. Bethesda canā€™t write like, romance like they think they can. None of the characters are allowed depth, and youā€™re not allowed to get past the initial ā€œI like youā€ phase for anyone so it feels empty.

1 Like

Yeah, unless youā€™re a diehard fan of AC already, Odyssey isnā€™t really something that gives all that much LGBT rep.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I absolutely love the fact that I can go around kissing every girl, but none of this is really developed or the focus of any story or character arc.

Ubisoft isnā€™t really the go-to dev for nuanced RPG storytelling and while I appreciate their effort to include this content (especially since for once we can call the historical accuracy to our side), itā€™s not exactly something to play if you only want LGBT rep. Itā€™s a nice addition to already LGBT fans who like the series and itā€™s great you can play the main character as gay as possible and they really didnā€™t shy away from some characters being open about their interests (which, again, makes sense considering the history of ancient Greece) so I commend them on that. I was worried the options would be hidden or played exclusively as jokes, but they are very diverse and each character has their own thing, as barebones as it is.

So all in all, itā€™s a good addition to LGBT rep, but itā€™s not something I would recommend to people looking for deep and important LGBT relationships with the focus on character arcs and development.

2 Likes

actually, i think some characters did have gender locks.

Well considering a lot of the NPCs you can marry are incredibly samey, it doesnā€™t really matter lol.

true. a lot of what i find for farkas is more speculation and headcanon than anything. still, best husband in the game.

I only know of a few like, families that exist in Elder Scrolls games.

But there are a few LGBT folks, likeā€¦

Vivec is intersex and genderfluid. Heā€™s also not straight - he had a male lover.

I think it was him or someone else that stabbed another god with like, a godā€™s detached uhā€¦ bits?? Thereā€™s drama with the gods in this world LOL

Boethiah has no set gender. Argonians donā€™t have a sex when they are born, and can change it at will by like, lickingā€¦ a tree I think? They can change whenever they want though. The Daedric ā€œprincesā€ are both male and female, and are sometimes depicted as both or neither.

A Khajiit book talks about being gay and encourages it. Thereā€™s a few dark elves and also at least one orc thatā€™s gay/lesbian in Oblivion.

The dragonborn expansion has a gay couple. Then thereā€™s like a bunch of LGBT folks in ESO.

1 Like

Well thatā€™s something. I just go around doing stuff in Skyrim or Oblivion and I rarely come across anything gay.

1 Like

A lot of it just kinda exists in the world and isnā€™t called out or put on display. Most of the lore you get by talking to NPCs or reading books. I horde and read all the books and talk to everyone because I hate doing main quests, but a lot of this I also just read about on the wiki or watched youtubers with too much time on their hands go over the background lore stuff since I like the Elder Scrolls world a lot.

But homosexuality isnā€™t remarked on in the world, and itā€™s not something weird.

Whereas in DA, thereā€™s a lot of different laws and things youā€™re expected - sometimes its ā€œokay if behind closed doorsā€ or ā€œyou can have a same sex lover if you are married to have childrenā€ or ā€œanything goesā€, which is fine if they actually like, kept that consistent between gamesā€¦ Fereldan is rather progressive when it comes to sexuality and whatnot but they still have a lot of issues that make no sense. Like, for a place that values Dogs so highlyā€¦ why is the B word an insult?

Small bits of worldbuilding are often overlooked and kinda make me go ā€œehhā€.

1 Like