LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

Marceline x princess bubblegum from adventure time is canon; they kiss in the last episode.

1 Like

oh right, forgot about that show. never really watched it.

I was surprised when i heard about it because i thought that show ended years ago lol

1 Like

I think on the flipside too thereā€™s issue - as when we get games or media that has pretty decent rep for what the media is (example: Dream Daddy (yes yes I know)) then people tear that apart so viciously and scare the devs off from making anything else.

ā€œSee? No matter how inclusive you are, no matter if you make a game for LGBT folks, then this is what you get! Thereā€™s no point in adding this stuff as they are all ungrateful and will only complain.ā€

People tore that poor little game UP for stupid reasons - they were mad the pastor who cheated on his wife didnā€™t drop his family for you (likeā€¦ wtf), they were mad the guy with serious mental illness who needed time to heal didnā€™t just magically get better when yā€™all kissed, they were mad that there was some halloween stuff hidden in the files of the game instead of being deleted and they called that stuff abusive and disgusting and Iā€™m likeā€¦ it was removed for a reason - way easier to leave code in a game and hide it away from players than risk messing up the code by taking it out.

People were even mad that GG had a role voicing characters because years ago one of the members said something bad. Like. Yā€™all. This was a stupid but cute little game, like a solid 11 hours of play for fun with a cute cast. What was the point in destroying it so much when it could have just been something fun and we couldā€™ve left it at that??

And itā€™s when cute little things like this, that do earnestly try, get tossed directly into the trash because folks are just far too critical, itā€™s no wonder why we donā€™t get more LGBT content.

At that point I donā€™t even blame the devs. Iā€™m disappointed, but I canā€™t say ā€œignore the haters release this stuff anywayā€ when half the haters are the LGBT folks themselves! Ugh.

I want to be able to be more critical of what weā€™re given, and I feel like we can do that to a point. Because I think we can all agree that we want better rep when itā€™s there, not just more of it while being terrible, but at the same time when the inclusion of this stuff is added in a way that while it might not be perfect, but you can tell there was an effort made by the devs, then justā€¦ leave it alone. At least for a while. Poke at it later once itā€™s all settled and emotions arenā€™t running high.

Iā€™m not saying be grateful for scraps, but when thereā€™s an effort being made in a game or a show, acknowledge that with a level head, and then once youā€™ve had time to let it sit, come back and explain that while it was nice to see, perhaps it could have been done better by XYZ. This shows devs that weā€™re happy to get this content, and also how to improve upon it later on. Instead of just attacking things immediately and then complaining when we never get anything else.

1 Like

i honestly never cared for itā€¦i always considered that show more annoying than entertaining.

I think because itā€™s pretty heavily targeted at young children.

shows i watched at that age didnt scream as much.

Hey, I just noticed you guys have cleared 10k posts in the mega-thread!
Congratulations!! Itā€™s a big deal!
:champagne::balloon::tada: :rainbow:

8 Likes

This exactly.

Criticism is fine and very needed, but in a lot of cases, it goes beyond criticism and attacks genuine honest people for simple mistakes that were done out of inexperience or the lack of staff or any other reason. People attack before any context is revealed, they attack for petty reasons, they attack those who donā€™t deserve it at all.

Itā€™s definitely an issue with social media, with how everybody can have a loud voice and spread memes and opinions and be toxic easily and quickly. A lot of it also done by people who are themselves inexperienced (teens can be very passionate in a wrong way) and then thereā€™s also attacks directed back at people who largely donā€™t know any better.

Itā€™s a mess.

2 Likes

My problem with Dream Daddy was that it didnā€™t feel like any effort was made, honestly. That it was a quick joke made to make quick money. Whether that is true or not, I can only speculate.

But they did have an audience for the game, and it was pretty hot while it lasted, it was streamed by several popular streamers, but they didnā€™t capitalize on the hype. And I donā€™t really think that it was solely the fault of criticism by the LGBT community, that they didnā€™t go forward and strike while the iron was hot.

I donā€™t knowā€¦ I watched like, Angry Beavers, Rugrats, Rockoā€™s Modern Life, Ah Real Monsters, Hey Arnold, etc. and all of those had a good amount of yellingā€¦ but not as much like. Nonsense yelling I suppose. Alsoā€¦ all of those shows had wildly dirty jokesā€¦ :thinking:

indeed they did, but not high pitched pre-teen squealing. and those jokes were amazing.

I donā€™t know, I was honestly incredibly touched that I was allowed to play a trans guy in a silly little game like that. (and romance a trans guy!!) I didnā€™t take it too seriously because it was just that - a silly little game for a few hours of fun - but I genuinely liked the characters I got to know and was left wanting more content for the dads. I loved my daughter. I liked the stupid humor in the game. Likeā€¦ it wasnā€™t groundbreaking but it was a nice reprieve for a bit. And I appreciated that.

2 Likes

They did some things right, like letting you choose a lot of things about yourself and your history. But since I mostly groan at memes and stupid ā€˜ā€™ dad puns ā€˜ā€™ it really left me cold, and the underlying good things the game did deliver were muddled by the forceful attempt at making the game feel like inane youtube-bait, where they are basically trying to make you laugh at lol all this gay nonsense, haha, look at this gay stuff HAHAHA.

Then a lot of the ā€˜ā€™ daddies ā€˜ā€™ were pretty terribly written to me. The only ones that stood out was the pastor, the drunk and the jock. The rest were incredibly shallow. In a dating sim, the relationship aspect needs to be THE THING, THE THING that really amazes you and pulls you in. But with a lot of the options, this definitely didnā€™t happen.

I also did wish the couldā€™ve done a more positive ending with the pastor, because religious LGBT folk could use some more positive representation, and be able to form same sex relationships. They had a chance to do something that I wouldā€™ve really appreciated, but they didnā€™t sadly go through with it. Iā€™m not really religious myself, but I know some people who could really use something positive on the religious LGBT aspect in the media.

In the end, it was just a meme game with maybe some good intentions, but I think the good intentions just werenā€™t there enough, and so it just felt like a meme cashgrab for youtubers and streamers. Maybe the game was trying to make ā€˜ā€™ gay ā€˜ā€™ something marketable though, and I think they did pretty good with that. But making it marketable through memes, idk, I think thatā€™s a fair thing to criticize.

2 Likes

I guess thatā€™s fair.

I donā€™t really see how the pastor could have had a good ending. Boy was married. No matter what happened with him he still cheated on his wife and thatā€™s just a bad look all around. I can see maybe a ā€˜coming outā€™ sort of deal where he was living in denial but at the same time that again could only end in a bitter sweet sort of ending. I liked the ā€˜bad boyā€™ guy, and I liked that he said he needed time.

We didnā€™t get to spend more than maybe 2 hrs with each dad, which is why things felt pretty shallow, but again - I didnā€™t expect much more than that. If I went in expecting a fully fleshed out VN, and got that? Iā€™d be upset, but I was expecting a hokey little game to play over the weekend lol.

I wouldnā€™t even be mad if we got more stupid games like this.

Straight folks get all sorts of stupid stuff like this, but this was legit the first time I saw a game where you were a guy who romanced other guys that was lighthearted and also SFW.

Things could have been done better, but we got what we were promised - a game with bad dad jokes where you were a dad who romanced other dads.

I donā€™t really know why the answer to the pastorā€™s problem is to stay with his wife. But whatever.

If I need to get through several meme games before I can actually get something serious, like an action game with a gay main character, thenā€¦ oof. I donā€™t usually play games to be entertained in a hahaha way, but in a yes this game is fun to play way, which DD definitely wasnā€™t.

I like a mixture of games. I stick to the arcade or QP when I play OW. I have thousands of hrs on sims because I like to build and decorate houses. I like to play RTS games and see cities grow. I like to play browser games that allow me to breed and dress up dragons or something. I like to play games that make me think but are more casual like Night in the Woods. I like to play zombie games that freak me out but also allow me to build bases and craft stuff. So sometimes a silly game suits me just fine. Even if itā€™s not difficult or like, an actual game game. Yā€™know?

2 Likes

Also I donā€™t see why these things canā€™t happen at the same time. We can get silly little games while bigger, more in-depth games are being made. Thereā€™s nothing that forces you to play games you wonā€™t like.

Iā€™m not running out to play AC:Odyssey because thereā€™s lgbt rep shoved in there somewhere.

Oh this is something that pisses me off too.

Weā€™re so starved for content that when we do get something light and small like DD, to a lot of people it seems like an insult. Or like the one gay game slot we had for the year was wasted. Even though thereā€™s no reason to really see it that way, but in a lot of cases thatā€™s what happens.

I guess with DD, people wanted it to be this big breakthrough LGBT game and then when it wasnā€™t (because it never intended to be imho), people were disappointed. And I donā€™t blame them really, but the whole situation was really bad overall with the whole ripping the game apart as if it promised to turn the tides of LGBT gaming and also that the legit criticism was drowned out.

Meanwhile, with any straight content, thereā€™s barely any scrutiny. And if a game with straight content is bad, so what? Thereā€™s plenty more. Straight content just is. If itā€™s bad, you can shrug it off. If our content is bad or even has minor problems or it isnā€™t the next big thing, disappointment is bound to happen.

1 Like

I think this is honestly where a lot of the criticism for DD specifically came from.

If itā€™s not perfect, then weā€™re SOL because now weā€™re not allowed another LGBT centered game for another -checks watch- 5 years.

Kinda like with Tracerā€¦ We got one (1) lesbian, so now we have to wait three+ years before we can get another LGBT character or itā€™s seen as Too Much.

1 Like