LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread 🏳️‍🌈

im tired of everything being “SJW” just because of lgbt…but when the people speaking for “us” have ulterior motives, it feels helpless to try to distance yourself.

Well, the thing is, it’s not the people speaking for us that is the only problem, but the people who condemn all of us based on something they saw on Twitter.

3 Likes

very true. guilt by association and variations of that. like when stan lee died and people called him a racist homophobe…

1 Like

“SJW” gets thrown around so much it doesn’t really mean anything to me anymore. It’s just another generic online insult.

4 Likes

probably why it got replaced by “NPC”. people kept throwing sjw around.

1 Like

Apparently if you are LGBT and want to see yourself in some form of media, no matter how you approach it, suddenly you’re a SJW and nothing you say has any meaning. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Pretty much. It doesn’t help that some people can’t catch up so they still try to appeal to some SJW concept from 5 years ago.

It’s really interesting how things changed in the last decade. How the concept of inclusion and diversity changed and how it’s still rapidly changing day by day and companies are really slow with catching up.

3 Likes

Yeah x_x It’s really upsetting that people think they can just throw this slur around and call it a day.

1 Like

and just angering more people. the only people theyre trying to appease anymore seems to be a minority of a minority. fem freq and associates.

In most cases they even fail to appease those. Some companies are truly completely tone deaf.

1 Like

It’s kind of a vicious circle that if we don’t celebrate the little, most inane ‘’ victories ‘’, that honestly are the absolute least content creators could do, there’s the possibility of content creators not even doing the least they could do.

I don’t want to celebrate a five second screentime gay side character in a cartoon because that’s NOTHING. But if I don’t… would they ever proceed to a full-fledged gay character who appears in several episodes for longer times?

2 Likes

like with voltron confirming shiro is gay. thats pretty big considering his role in the series is the “G.I. joe type”.

Here’s hoping they actually do something more with Shiro being gay. Because from what I’ve heard, how the whole thing was handled wasn’t too great.

1 Like

IIRC they killed off his ex-boyfriend in the same episode he was introduced, so uh… yikes.

1 Like

true, i hope so too. i know they said from the start he and his ex were broken up and were very stern on that…but it wouldve been nice if they didnt kill his ex and given shiro -some- closure on the subject. he’s the most abused character in the show…

He didn’t even get any time on screen to mourn his ex at all. He stared at a list of names, went “yep” and turned around and the episode continued on.

2 Likes

it’s probably too late for them to “fix” anything they had planned on the subject as well…so it makes this last season worrisome…

At least we got bubbline amirite

i honestly dont know who that is.

And this is also where the divide between LGBT and non-LGBT people happens.

We see this and we ask why couldn’t we have had more. Why wasn’t there depth or exploration of this content? Why does it feel like it was shoved in just to tick a box? We deserve more than that.

Non-LGBT people see this and just complain about a useless gay character being shoved in and it makes them resent any LGBT representation because to them it’s all useless.

And in a way, they’re not even wrong. Both groups can agree that the portrayal was useless since nothing was done with it, except we want more and these other people take it as proof that all LGBT content is useless therefore none should ever exist.

2 Likes