LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

The fact that even ME:A didnā€™t have male aliens for dudes (at start). Like, come oooon!

2 Likes

Couldā€™ve been an interesting story to explore tbh. Not that I would trust them to handle it amazingly well, but seriously, how do the Krogans handle the situation of the genophage and the fact that some peopleā€™s sexuality simply wonā€™t align with a dying race? Are gay krogans shunned and discriminated? Even forced to not live that lifestyle?

Itā€™s a topic thatā€™s a bit heavy perhaps and would require extremely careful approach, but in hindsight, I wouldā€™ve loved if they delved deeper into some of the cultural implications of the genophage and these issues in general.

1 Like

they neglected gay male players in general with that gameā€¦no other romance options had the problems gay players had.

exactly my point. considering they didnt take too kindly to male krogans focusing on asari, who knows what their treatment of differing sexualities was supposed to be.

1 Like

itā€™s almost like gil was supposed to be kroganā€¦

I love that people whoā€™ve bought Hanzoā€™s statue take close-up pictures of his pecs haha.

3 Likes

Yeah, ME:A was terrible for gay men. Just terrible. EVERYTHING was a mess, nothing was right.

I was really active in the Unofficial Bioware forums few months before ME:A launched, me and a bunch of other people were really hoping for gay aliens, and as things started to look grim for us, a lot of terrible, embarrassing photoshopping was done by yours truly.

https://i.imgur.com/IJNxzdE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gRSby4N.png
https://i.imgur.com/GN7S92N.png

These didnā€™t really age well but the essence of frustration, I think you can feel it.

2 Likes

i saw actually. when the game came out, i found myself following the forums and twitter for news. and felt like a certain gay youtuber was being a bit lenient.

:joy::joy:

This is great. Meme quality is high.

Sadly, thatā€™s what we tend to get, yeah. Iā€™m incredibly confused about aliens being fine with human women, but not with human men. It tells me that some people working over there have some deeply rooted insecurities.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that one. The one who thought a bug with being able to do both of the gay romances at the same time was a interesting, cool feature, and that the content that we did get was good and enough, that making Jaal bi wasnā€™t needed and was even not the right way to go about it.

1 Like

I mean especially with the Angara. The game even made it clear that yes, male-male relationships in the Angaran community are a thing and nothing abnormal.

2 Likes

indeed. fortunately, they did listen to feedbackā€¦before closing shop on anything new for the game itself.

I always feel bad about attacking writers and artists directly because I know they have orders from above. And we just donā€™t know who decides these things, but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s some higher up because writers and artists do seem to really care about these characters and the fans. Itā€™s the same with Overwatch really. I do believe the writing staff wants more lore and more everything, but there are probably orders coming from the top about directing efforts elsewhere. And maybe even the whole perception that a gay male character will push players away.

yeah, but with devs like bioware promoting themselves based on their diversity and romance options in game, it isnt a call from the higher ups that seems the most likely culprit. especially when EA does use lgbt matters as a shield.

1 Like

Yep, thatā€™s why Iā€™m always conflicted. I donā€™t know where should we direct our disappointment.

If itā€™s the publishers and the higher ups, then we have to simply show them that thereā€™s money in this content which means spending money on a product we might disagree with in hopes of things being better later.

If itā€™s the writers and artists and devs, we have to approach differently. In this case, we canā€™t just mindlessly spend money without giving them criticism and demanding that they hire actual LGBT writers and other staff.

Itā€™s confusing and difficult to deal with.

1 Like

honestly, diversity of thought seems more necessary when it comes to games like that. had that been the diversity they promoted, there probably wouldnt of been so many of the issues we complain about.

1 Like

Uh, this is just false though. The trailers had Scott getting intimate with the female crewmates, and people had to whine and whine for them to release a trailer with Sara. When the game was previewed, they showcased the bit with Peebee getting on top of Scott and they talked about how you can push her off and the people showcasing that gameplay were like ā€˜ā€™ hehee why would you want to push Peebee off :wink: ā€˜ā€™

I donā€™t remember anyone except the voice actors on Twitter get excited about ā€˜ā€™ diversity ā€˜ā€™ in the game.

Of course then thereā€™s the case of that one guy that got fired, but as far as I know, he didnā€™t really work closely with the game. And if he did, he did a horrible job at making the game ā€˜ā€™ diverse. ā€˜ā€™ It was easily the worst game in terms of quality LGBT content for instance. The sole lesbian and the sole gay crewmate werenā€™t even playable/on the field, and they werenā€™t integral to the story. Heck, Gil was completely invisible through 95% of the game.

interviews and twitter mostly. they promoted sarah being ā€œPOCā€ in their first preview and how she would be the canon playthrough. this was a while before the game itself came out. my memory of the discussion at the time is definitely fuzzy, but something like that would be hard to forget.

i mentioned him because they defended him before he was fired and he praised them for their promotion and ā€œdiversityā€. to clarify though, i dont think he was a big influence on the game, but he did take a lot of spotlight.

Well, in the end the games downfall was anything except ā€˜ā€™ being too SJW ā€˜ā€™ and thatā€™s all that matters in this discussion. Same thing with DA:I, the biggest core flaws of these games always have to do with gameplay and then writing (and Iā€™m not talking about the 20 minutes of optional gay content or 10 seconds of hey Iā€™m gay/trans dialogue said by an NPC)

1 Like