📄 Lets (Try) To fix competitive play

Other threads

Lets try to fix the game (Hero balance)

Lets try to fix mercy

Tutorial

Custom Games

If you are not aware of these types of threads im doing, this is pretty much a series of threads attempt to give the devs feedback on how to “Fix” the game, this is all my take on it though

Now lets get started. Its clear to all of us that Competitive play is not in the best of spots right now, so, lets start on how to fix it

Placements

First of all, Placements currently have essentially no reason to exist, All they do is re-place you in the exact same spot you finished last time, and theres no logic to them either, I propose the following.

Have the placements follow something like this formula to re-place you, its just aproof on concept, Nothing complicated,

SR = X + 20 . y - 20 . Z

X would be the sr you finished at last season

Y would be quantity of wins,

Z would be quantity of loses,

Lets say for example, I finished at 2500 last season, i do my placements

i win 5 games, and lose 5,

SR = 2500 + 20x5 - 20x5 = 2500

i remain at my sr,

Lets say i win a lot

2500 + 20x10 - 20x0 = 2700 i would climb 200 sr for my wins

This new system would make placements more useful by having them remember where you ended up, inestead of placing you at random, allowing for climbing to be possible, Of course, this system would NOT work if the player has no previous competitive experience, So your guess is as good as mine

Role queue

Role queue is something very important to improve the Competitive experience, This is how MY idea for a system will work:

When entering Competitive, You have, like yeti hunt, The option to queue as DPS, Support or Tank role,

Once you click on, You are entered in the queue, The game matchmakes people in the standard 2 - 2 - 2 Composition, 2 tank 2 supp 2 dps,

Despite this However, Nobody is locked in their roles, and can freely pick what they want, To encourage not switching off instantly to another role, People who stay as the role they queued as and win will get extra SR (Not much) and Comp points?

Also, a new thing is adding on the reporting system, under “gameplay sabotage” explaining as following “Gameplay sabotage also counts for a player that queues up for a specific role just to get reduced queue times and does not play the role they queued as all throught the match, But as well, If the player were to request a switch roles with another player because they are underperforming, they cannot be reported due to gameplay sabotage, as this is an agreement in the team itself”

or something among those lines

Scoreboard

Prototype scoreboard made by me, this scoreboard would be shown after each round to the players

As you can see in this image, there are some varying colors

Red = lower than the average player of that rank, with that hero

Green = Higher than the average player of that rank, with that hero

Black = Equal with the average player of that rank with that hero

of course it wouldnt be exact numbers…and the numbers in the example are just examples, But analizying our example, we see

hey, there are a LOT of deaths here, and mercy isnt doing a lot of healing, then the team can archieve the conclusion that they dont have enough healing to sustain themselves, and as we look at mercys deaths, she has a lot too, So the team can arrive to the conclusion that our mercy is dying a lot, so something is going bad here, maybe roadhog needs to peel more for her

while i understand some people may use for toxicity, Just report those people and get them off our game, A scoreboard like this is very important, and sometimes can help the team in knowing what went wrong,

Comp Points

I belive comp points beeing tied to golden guns is a bad thing, As it encourages people to play for the guns and not for the competitiveness

therefore, i propose that we remove golden guns from the comp system, and we use comp points on something else, i dont quite got many ideas for this, but these are mine:

• Rank badges, Buy a rank badge and equip it on your hero to weild your rank on your favorite hero

• Rank-based player icons: Just to adversite your rank if you wish

• Rank based sprays

Those are just some ideas, it would be good for the people who want to show off their rank, but they are all purely cosmetical

Golden Guns

Golden guns would be re-made into another system of “Hero mastery” Hero mastery would essentially be a set of challenges that each award you x amount of points, once you adquire enough points, you get a golden gun, the challenges would be role specific, Game specific, and Hero specific, These would be for ALL modes except for custom games, Some ideas are:

Game specific challenges

• win 10 CTF matches
  • Finish in top 4 in deathmatch 10 times
  • Win 10 payload matches in less than 10 minutes, 3 times

Hero specific challenges

• Kill 100 people with dragonblade (total)
  • Kill 5 people by booping them off a cliff (lucio)
  • Resurrect 100 allies (mercy)

Role specific

• Block 100000 damage
  • Heal 100000
  • Get 1000 kills

etc etc, Those are just ideas

once you complete and X amount of them, You get the reward, other rewards could be added, and you could maybe swap the reward system for a shop system to spend your points in, You could also add daily challenges and event-based for more fun

New profile features

Some new profile features i would like to add so people can communicate eachother,

prefer roles

This would display the role you prefer to play in game, so your team can see

Prefered heroes

The heroes you prefer playing

Pretty sure im out of ideas, Thanks for reading if you reached this far,

3 Likes

I like several of these ideas, but I’m wondering why you keep capitalizing things after commas honestly lol!

I’ve really come around to role queue. I used to be… indifferent towards it, but now I really want it

1 Like

I dunno, its a tick i have to place commas everywhere and caps everywhere

1 Like

Interesting, I’ve been studying grammar and usage in school and seeing this really grinds my gears lol. It’s not a big deal of course :smiley:

I definitely want preferred roles and preferred characters shown.

I also agree with what you’re saying about golden guns and competitive points.

1 Like

Dude, stop. You’re making too much sense. So much sense that this will never happen because limited resources and lack of motivation.

1 Like

Challenges are meant to be hard, not long and boring. Killing 100 enemies with Dragonblade or rezzing 100 teammates as Mercy is not a challenge, it’s literally the same thing as playing 14 placements as a bronze player, the end result is a golden gun but the process is much slower.

Your missing the fact that his also is for ALL modes, Not JUST competitive,

Some challenges will be harder, Others will be easier, and plus, they are just ideas i came up with to convery an idea

The issue still stands, nothing with your point changed. A good challenge is very brief but very difficult… “Get a sextuple kill as Genji with no graviton surge”, this would be more fitting

Like i said, its Just some ideas i quickly came up with dont read into the examples too much, they could be easily changed by anything,