Let's Revisit the Absurdity of "Hide and Rez"

And those 2 dozen or so tend to be those who agree with the OP. I’d like to see people who disagree but encourage discussion. But I don’t see that.

2 Likes

Isn’t that what Megadodo is literally doing?

At the very least there’s a lot of back and forth

Ahhh not really… he tends to make a bunch of claims but never back them up with relevant information. Most of the back and forth with him is basically him making “factual” statements (that are often not really relevant), then contradicting everything someone says without really explaining why. It’s basically as if I were to respond to everything you said with, “Wrong,” “I don’t agree,” “That’s not my opinion” with various facts about Mercy’s preference in pizza toppings and Gucci fashion. It’s not really advancing conversation; rather, it’s actually stone-walling it

2 Likes

Well… I don’t. Okay?

This is literally xavvy and titanium in a nutshell as well.

1 Like

Factually, the statement I originally replied to was (gist, not a quote) along the lines of that an ability cant be improved without making it a ultimate.

I continue to disagree with said statement

Personally, I found the statement as stated to be more along the lines of a demand than advice

As I said, such a distinction need not be made within the confines of a public forum.

All can read, all can (with valid login) reply

I didnt (and still dont) feel it was best “kept to myself”

as such, i didn’t

This statement appears (to me) to imply that I believe that everything I state is fact

Clarification: I state facts, and I state opinions, and I am very careful to ensure that verbiage exists in each such statement to ensure that it is clear to the reader what is stated as fact and what is stated as opinion

Factually, the statements you are replying to is not semantics - rather facts

Factually, I prefer not to discuss semantics but I find that many posters, particularly those in the anti-Mercy faction, like to bring up semantics and/or verbiage, which in turn results in replies from me (like this one) that are concerned with semantics and/or verbiage

Factually, I am unaware of any ‘fault’ in this discussion that can reasonably be attributed to me

Factually, I am not aware of any incompetence on my part in this discussion

Factually, I have read the entire discussion

Titanium,

Bravo on another well written thread.

Unlike the other thread, I read all of this one. People seem to be hung up on a vast array of old talking points which fail to recognize reality.

1. Hide and Rez was all too commonplace.

In a game where getting even two or three people to play in accordance with your request, no matter how subtle, somehow five people just fell in line and “died on the point” as prescribed by the Mercy player. The reality, people don’t listen now, and they didn’t listen then. Any video evidence of “Hide and Rez” being a major issue and run rampant in Overwatch is purely anecdotal. The statistics you listed clearly overwrite this claim.

1. Blizzard “fixed” the problem.

Except, its a problem they themselves created. Getting a 4-5 man resurrect before the January 2017 invulnerability change was only possible if you were playing against a team that was clearly not paying attention to you. At this stage in the game it was better for a Mercy player to take a 1-2 person rez for her own survivability. In the long run, as you get better at playing as Mercy, resurrect unlike every other ultimate in the game was less and less powerful. When Blizzard made Mercy invulnerable while resurrecting, it was this point where Mercy became “broken”. Invulnerability was also not requested by the Mercy player base at large. Valkyrie, and the entire rework, was an attempt for Blizzard to “fix” the problem they created by adding another unwanted change no one asked for. Blizzard always knows best, except when they don’t.

I could hit on more but most of the other points lack any substance, not that the other two have much.

At this point in the game I see a few things unfolding.

It is my opinion that the largest majority of players, those who play damage dealers, have convinced Blizzard to ruin Overwatch as Blizzard has done with all their other IP’s. It is for the exact same reason. “Only Damage Dealers are fun to play so you need to take power away from tanks and healers”. I was hoping Overwatch would somehow be immune to this philosophy, but I think I was mistaken. “Mass rez ruined my PotG 5 man kill, Blizzard fix it or my keyboard will stop working due to all these tears falling off my face”. Supports, and now with the next PTR going live soon tanks, will have lost or are losing a great amount of power from their kits. It has been happening slowly, but I think this next PTR going live will really hit hard. I had assumed that there were plenty of Damage Dealer specific shooters that exist so why would Blizzard need to be the same.

Only time will tell I suppose, but lets hope Blizzard comes to their senses. I won’t hold my breath, but for your sake I have some hope.

6 Likes

Look through the COC…

Factually, the statement made earlier was “Factually, if you post a thread trying to discuss Mercy you will get endless shade from people wanting you to not discuss it and will derail that discussion. This is not in the spirit of what a discussion forum is for, yet not seeing any complaints about that.”

Here, in this more recent statement, it is acknowledged that several people did complain

But theres a chance… and thats all we need

Wow, this thread blew up over the course of a day.

It’s funny because now when you rez it’s a requirement to hide.

4 Likes

Agreed,
If you think about the amount a DPS buffs in the last year its insane. When GOATs dies, it will be seen how powerful DPS have become.

1 Like

Perfect.

And yet somehow people will still cling to the delusion that somehow Mercys were able to get people to do this all of the time in every game.

1 Like

Why revisit…hasn’t everything been discussed on this subject in MULTIPLE threads already?

2 Likes

Are you going to as well then? Are you going to say people mocking, derailing, and false flagging this thread are in the wrong?

Factually, I have been able to successfully rez many times without hiding, sometimes even during midfight; and as such I dont see it as a requirement

I am not saying any of those things

I am saying instead that there was a statement earlier that (gist, not a quote) no one was complaining about x, and there was a statement later by the same person who made the original statement that (gist, not a quote) several people were in fact complaining about x in this very thread

Here’s the quote ^

Sorry but I did not say: “an ability cannot be improved without making it an ultimate”. I said that Resurrect as an ability cannot be “improved” to fix the issues regarding “Hide n Res” (as Resurrect being an ability makes the three issues I’ve highlighted previously twice as bad). Because of this, I’m advocating for the second best thing (as them removing Resurrect from the game is a far-fetched dream); Resurrect as an ultimate. “Hide n Res” would still be an issue but it won’t be as annoying, rewarding and effective as “Hide n Res” with CD Res.

“Said” statement is a strawman made by you.

Think again. I, as the one who said the statement, am telling you now that it was meant to be perceived as advice as that is the intention for me writing it.

Though, it is an understandable mistake.

As I’ve said, if you type in an opinion that’s meant for everyone in a reply that’s specifically meant for me, you’re going to have to make it clear as to which part of the reply is for me and which part of the reply is you addressing everyone.

That’s fine. Just don’t put it in a reply that’s specifically addressed to me.

Definitely not. One look at the context would tell you that. That and, try to read further on…

I’m referring to:

“but in fact, anyone with internet access can read this discussion, and anyone with a login can reply. As such, it is not solely a conversation confined to the maker of a statement and the person they make it to. This is a public forum. I emphasize the word public.”

They’re not mutually exclusive.

Semantics is one of best forms of facts… Just saying.

For starting this pointless discussion. You, for some random reason decided to state a random opinion and that lead to a back-and-fourth argument over the rights of forum users. You are at fault here. Whether you accept it or not however is up to you. Though I’ll remind you that denying it won’t mean much to me since facts will remain facts. :man_shrugging:t2:

Failure to make it clear which parts of a reply addressed to “Jimin” were actually intended for him and the parts which were intended for the rest of the user base viewing this thread.

Then refute the explanation. Here it is again:

Referring to Titanium’s thread supposedly being hidden due to it being flagged for “trolling”.