Lets move this to the other thread

Would this involve removing his oneshot?

So what? 75 damage arrows?

Yes it would. Hanzo would no longer be able to 1 shot, but he is adequately compensated. He may go down a little, but not Hog tier bad

So you’re thinking something more like this?

HANZO

StormBow (Primary Fire), StormArrows

• Damage reduced down from 125 to 75.
  • Maximum projectile speed increased from 110m/s to 150m/s.
  • Bow pull charge speed increased by 25%.

Where the bow pull speed, also affects the effective fire-rate.

Something like that. I am not sure about the numbers. Just as long as Hanzo can still crit and 2 tap targets.

Well sure, let’s go with that. Ironically Samito was saying something similar. And he used t to be a Hanzo main.

It also doesn’t require any animation reworks, so yeah more likely.

Yep I am in agreement.

It’s not about how long it takes. That’s just not the right change.

I wasn’t suggesting the projectile speed as compensation for the nerf. I was suggesting it as part of the fix. He feels spammy. Make his shots more accurate to reduce the spam feel. Increase charge time if needed.

What direction would the right sort of change be?

And if it’s “Map Changes” then that’s basically the same as saying nothing.

Well threw that into a patch notes post.

[OW2] Weekend PatchNotes I'm in the mood for:

Lowkey that is smart… But I also seen that gameplay where the player is being sneaky with Hanzo in a psudo rollout-style or being at off-angles, sometimes even in short ranges where the enemy did not see the hanzo so the Hanzo gets rewards if the player lands each headshot in 1 shot each silently.

If Hanzo was buffed/nerfed to that direction, then I reckon that can be a desired result as the style reflects the Hanzo’s OW climactic as a Archer able to enter off-angles and keep a low profile…

I think map changes are the only good solution. Outside of that, maybe a charge nerf. Or add sway if she holds an angle too long maybe? But anything that actually takes away her one shot is wrong. She’s the only character that should have a one shot. And it should not have falloff.

I hate Widowmaker, but that’s the fantasy of her. It’s core to her identity.

The map changes literally aren’t going to happen before PVE launches, much less any time soon. Assuming they even work, considering the current ones they’ve done have done basically nothing.

And a charge rate change wouldn’t really do much in terms of making the Widow dead more, or increasing the positioning options against a Widow.

And if map changes would increase your positioning options, and damage dropoff should increase positioning options. Then why not go with the one that could put in tomorrow afternoon and is 100% certain to work, instead of 6 months from now where it probably wouldn’t even work.

Because first, I’m not actually 100% certain it would work. It has to feel good for Widow players too, and this wouldn’t. Second, it violates the fantasy of the hero which is a core tenant that balance changes aren’t supposed to do.

What percentage of Widow players do you think are consistently landing shots more than 2x objective lengths away?

There’s only a handful of maps that would offer sightlines that long.

And you would be okay blocking those sightlines at those ranges, but not cutting the damage at those ranges?

Also incidentally, both CoD and BattleField have big damage dropoff at range for Sniper Rifles. Apex Sniper basically can’t headshot instakill with the Kraber.

Meanwhile CS/Valorant/Halo have a lot of ways to bypass and negate the Snipe.

Depends on the map. On Havana, all of them.

But that’s the thing, you’d be fine with a map redesign that blocks that entirely, but not a hero design method that only partially blocks it?

Who said anything about blocking it entirely? I said provide more natural cover. We all know that some players won’t use it and they’ll be Widow fodder. But at least there’ll be more options for smart players.

Which sounds a lot like it would barely make any difference for the vast majority of players.

It would be fair. And players really need to learn to use cover. It’s a basic shooter mechanic. Overwatch 1 spoiled people with shields which are mobile cover.

I’d argue that Overwatch has less enjoyable Sniper Counterplay than pretty much every other modern FPS game in existence.

The “that’s just how FPS games are” really really isn’t true there.

HotTake: Snipers are strangling Playerbase Growth