Kaplan on diversity and inclusivity - a MUST watch/read

Jeff Kaplan, 23:52:

26:33:

The whole thing is worth a watch and arguably more relevant than ever amidst current discussions. You even get to hear him swear at 16:35.

19 Likes

This is actually a great quote.

5 Likes

I see some contradicting here:

They are both pretty much the same thing.

And even if diversity wasn’t the goal, at the end of the day it turned to be the case anyway. Even the new VAs that they are acquiring are native speakers for the countries that they have to represent.

4 Likes

By that I think it means the goal was to be inclusive to all types, but not just diversity for diversity’s sake. If it is diverse then by golly that’s great, but that was not the goal.

13 Likes

I miss Jeff

Inclusiveness is a mindset and diversity is an outcome for those looking for distinction.

Hiring 5 foreigners to fill a quota gets you diversity but changing your hiring policies so they don’t unfairly exclude minorities is inclusive.

5 Likes

This part stands out to me. People have been asking for the rainbow icon to be renamed “Pride”. I would agree with what some other people have said that you don’t need it to be named a certain thing for it to represent that thing or movement for you.

That’s a very misleading quote you have chosen as your headline title, I think.

The major theme of the game was inclusiveness, and their ultimate goal was inclusion and open-mindedness. The natural end result is diversity. That’s how he framed it. He wants the diversity to be meaningful rather than having tokens

Pride is about inclusion.

15 Likes

Reading it back I can see why it might be seen as misleading but it was originally a response to another poster. It’s a paraphrasing of this: “I think it’s really interesting that people think that diversity was the goal of the Overwatch team when it was not.” those were the actual words.

1 Like

Sure but if you’re gonna make it it’s own thread, it should really then be a fair representation of what Kaplan said without the missing context.

That quote when taken out of context makes it seem like he’s saying something he isn’t.

4 Likes

I don’t understand how you can talk about missing context when I have included the entire context right in the post.

1 Like

If you were to say

Venus, go kill yourself over the side of that bridge there so we can respawn together. Then we’ll make our next push once you get yourself backup

And then I were to make my title “Venus go kill yourself” - Hulk

Then it wouldn’t really matter if I included the whole exchange in my opening post. It would still be a misleading title.

The main point of Kaplan’s speech was about how inclusion was the primary goal of the Overwatch team. He was making a subtle point about the difference between inclusion and diversity, not making diversity seem like it wasn’t that important to their design process.

If you were to only see the title, you’d be mislead into thinking that is not the case.

5 Likes

Yeah and I included all of that in the post

Don’t be someone who only reads the headline…

But the title makes it seem like his speech is about something it isn’t.

3 Likes

If you read into it like that then sure but then if you read the actual post you will understand the full context so what’s the issue.

Because Clickbait headlines that make people seem to have made fhe opposite point of what they actually said is no bueno.

Kaplan is a real person so I think he deserves a title that more accurately reflects the essence of what he meant. Just my opinion.

3 Likes

I don’t think the title does do that. It simply says that diversity was not the goal which is exactly what he says. And later in the post Jeff agrees that diversity is a beautiful end result.

This whole post is a tribute to Jeff Kaplan and his thought process in the design so I don’t believe I have disrespected anything.

Something can be what they said, but when pulled out of context still not represent what they said.

Again, the Venus go kill yourself example I made is another example.

His “dare to see the world for what it could be” line is more representative of what he was trying to say. Diversity wasn’t the goal alone makes it sound like it wasn’t that important to the design process. Which is the opposite of what he meant.

1 Like

I could change the title to dare to see the world for what it could be then? Although even that could be misrepresented and taken out of context.

Yeah that would be better, imo

Edit

Here’s the exact quote. I think it’s something they as part of Winston’s backstory even iirc

“Never accept the world as it appears to be but dare to see it for what it could be”

1 Like

I’ve modified it now.

Even this could be interpreted as a radicalising statement lol