Kaplan on diversity and inclusivity - a MUST watch/read

Yeah. I like the one you chose more. Thanks for hearing me out. :slight_smile:

Yes it’s technically is about literally everything. But just like a majority of the people know that the rainbow icon called a rainbow is very much associated with the LGBTQ+ and basically used for that purpose (few people actually want to represent rainbow), The majority of the people know that the LGBTQ+ movements is basically only concerned with LGBT, everything else is just thrown in there for completion sake. At least for right now. Who knows if one day LGBTQ+ movements will ever actual do something for straight people and/or whatever is represented by the “+”. But for right now, realistically everything else is a technicality & arguing points for the movement.

Basically this. You can’t be invlusive of people you don’t represent.

I think that’s largely the point that Jeff challenges. You don’t have to represent everyone, you just have to make the game’s world one where everyone feels welcome and all walks of life become a possibility - and letting the fan base make of that universe what they will.

Which is why I think if you want the rainbow icon to represent Pride there is nothing stopping that from being the reality for the fan base. Whether the developers call it that or not doesn’t really matter.

• https://apnews.com/article/040c5ea003ef42918156decb427e4161
  • https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/3/20/14960924/overwatch-diversity-jeff-kaplan-interview-blizzard
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-mh2hJDaGQ

“Inclusivity” does not mean seeking out and forcing diversity as part of design; it means welcoming all regardless of their backgrounds, creeds, genders, relationships, etc.

“The world could always use more heroes;” where they come from - and what they look like, sound like, believe, etc. - doesn’t preclude them from being part of Overwatch. If someone wants to join and they have something to contribute then let them join.

Considering the generally-negative light in which many people speak about “forced diversity” (which is clearly what he is addressing here), dismissing the intentions of the developers just so you can hand-wave and say “it’s all the same in the end” comes off as a bad faith take on the subject.

For example, a gaming group/clan/community that promotes the inclusion of female gamers as a rule is likely to naturally acquire and retain female gamers over time, because the expectations for the atmosphere and decorum for the group have been established at the outset.

Another group, 100% dudes with no expectations of inclusivity as a group, would probably react in a much more negative manner if someone forced them to include a couple of female gamers for no other reasons than diversity. I think we’ve seen enough right here on this forum to know how those dudes would react, and we know the type of atmosphere it would create.

Intent matters.

3 Likes

Precisely and with Overwatch I think we’ve crossed the threshold where that is already the reality. I don’t think we need a hero from every single LGBTQ+ identity distinction to have a game that is welcoming to those identities. Some individuals seem to continually demand representation of their specific identity - but “representation” in that sense was never the primary goal of the Overwatch team and I dislike how they pretend it is.

good guy Jeff :sob: :sob:

1 Like

Great quote, good takes, and a good game designer.

Man I miss Papa Jeff.

I agree on this point and I think I was overly broad in my response. Obviously, like you quoted, its impractical (if not impossible) to represent every kind of person.

But because representation is so fleeting, in things like Overwatch, they’ve unintentionally set up an expectation that, at the very least, most of the broad groups will be represented.

You don’t have to represent every single germanic country, but you should probably get at least one. Same with sexuality and gender identity. Representing every one is kind of unreasonable, but you should probably have at least one gay character.

I think this is a different issue. I personally don’t care what the icon is called, I appreciate it nonetheless, but this ties into a thing with explicit support.

A lot of the frustration here is that people feel like blizzard is just trying to make money/build goodwill without risking any problems with Russia and China. I think it’s less about what the icon represents and more about how genuine blizzard is being.

1 Like

For me, the game has NEVER felt Inclusive.

There are METAS in this game. If it was inclusive. All heroes would be good under ALL situations and circumstances.

An excessive focus on inclusion can also be bad. Notably the direction that they seem to be going to appeal to the more supercasual player base. The move away from the focus on teamwork. Teamwork excludes a large chunk of the player base because it takes effort.

Changing the entire game‘s workings in the name of inclusion is not a good thing in my opinion. Metas will always exist. Having all heroes be good under all conditions is an unrealistic goal. it also leads to hero homogenization.

I just want them to make good games with interesting and unique heroes. If this means that they are diverse then that’s great as well but I would never want that to be the focus. It’s never been about representation for me either. I play games to play as someone else, not for the game to give me more of me.

The rainbow icon is a good addition. People have been asking for it for a long time. What I wouldn’t think of as good is if blizzard made a massive deal about it. It doesn’t affect the quality of the gameplay at all. Nor is it some kind of artistic accomplishment. So why should a big deal be made about it?

This may be a hint of why the icon was labelled “rainbow” and not “pride”. “Diversity and Open-mindedness”

But, mostly it’s for marketing.

Possibly yeah but this is an interesting read as well:

https://apnews.com/article/040c5ea003ef42918156decb427e4161