Jesse McCree named after a sexual harasser at blizzard

Thoughts on this?

I can’t say I’m surprised, just dissappointed

23 Likes

So, how many of this threads are we going to have?

35 Likes

Honestly it’s a very cowboy name, I don’t care what it was inspired by

66 Likes

“Jesse McCree? Thats a terrible name for a cowboy!”

14 Likes

No, but he was inspiration behind game Cree…and they already removed all references in WOW to that other guy Afrasiabi…
And not that long ago there was case with another big character in wow, as his voice actor got accused of sexual harrasment and even tho he was innocent, they completely removed his voice lines from all expansions, dungeon, raid and cinematics and replaced them with another voice actor.
I can see them going for Cree now…

4 Likes

“My name’s NOT Joel’” is what I think. If they care enough to rename him, he already has a different name they can use. Other than that, I don’t like that his name now, obviously. But it’s also such a generic cowboy name that I don’t really care that much if they keep it either, tbh. But I would also wouldn’t oppose just renaming him his possible pen name “Joel Morricone”. Already Sombra and Jesse’s interaction can lead to that if they really want it too.

8 Likes

Inspiration for the name, the personality no.

Mccree if anything would be the polar opposite of him.

5 Likes

AFAIK Joel McCree is a reference to a western movie but i may be mistaken

1 Like

its reference to Joel Mccrea, who did a lot of movies including westerns

12 Likes

Yeah, I edited it but Joel Morricone is a suspected pen name of his. Sombra hints that it is him in game. Joel Morricone - Overwatch Wiki

3 Likes

I know…as I said, they already replaced name of that other guy in WOW…just saying.

1 Like

I’d understand it if they changed his name.

It’s weird to honor somebody who is a known sexual abuser in game.

But I’d be fine with it no matter what Blizzards decision is.

5 Likes

Wasn’t really to honor him though. It was just a genuinely good cowboy name.

2 Likes

Lets try and give him a new name

John McCree?

Joel McCarthy?

Doesn’t roll off the tongue like Jesse Mccree does.

I say just leave it, nobody is gonna call him by his new name realistically.

Sounds like an author of a book series more than a cowboy.

2 Likes

I mean McCree still stands so it would only change lore-wise

Thats not what … that name doesnt mean the hero … why does it matter when literally nobody knew th …

… dude am I the only one tired of these “rollbacks” when they are asked and made for no reason at all ? Just C H I L L man, its not like he is called Epstein or something.

2 Likes

Just say screw it and call him Chicken McNugget then.

Only way people will remember him by his new name is if its so weird or crazy that its actually a joke.

4 Likes

exactly, I’ve seen so many jesses and mccrees in cowboy stories and stuff

1 Like