Jeff, what about 2/1/1 (4v4) instead?

What do you do when you play other games with 3 or 4 man squads? What about people who only have a few friends?

We don’t.

/20 characters

listen the main priority of the tank becomes less about protecting their team because they simply can’t, and as such they are not as tightly bound by their team to fullfil certain responsibilities because fact is, it’s impossible to protect an entire team with only 1 tank.

and as such the priority for the tank becomes much bigger and wider and you’ll have so many more options in how you want to engage a fight and the responsibility of “not playing correctly” will dissipate as there will be so many ways to play tanks, it completely legitimizes flankhardt, and i for one like playing a bit of flankhardt.

and thus, your team is not at an extreme disadvantage when you lose the tank because the team didn’t hinge as hard on your ability to play the tank to be able to win the game, now it would be more in line with the rest of the roles.

because the tank duo synergy was really what shaped a lot of matches, but you can pretty much scrap that and throw it out the window with only 1 tank being played.

Ana has to build the ultimate. Fewer people means less heal, less damage, and less ultimate charge. Again, if the combo is too strong it can be nerfed.

I’m trying to have a conversation about 3/2/1 vs 2/1/1. All of your arguments have been about 2/2/2. If you cannot put 2/2/2 out of your mind, then we are having two different conversations.

The game was originally supposed to be 3-4 DPS (hence the disproportionate amount of them).
So it’s the opposite, the abuse of meta heroes and comps gradually over time, favouring tank and healer heavy compositions, is what caused the game to stray from what it was supposed to be.

DPS have long seen tanks and healers dominate the metas while sitting back and praying they dont get completely removed from the game. To the point the intended 3-4 DPS was reduced to seeing absolutely zero in the meta.

This game has pandered to the loud minority for way too long. And is it continued, the game got significantly worse over time.

Any comp with one healer or tank is a nightmare for that role and will cause more people to go to DPS or stop playing, as a person that only plays tank or healer being forced to solo eithervof those role i am giving up on Overwatch

2-2-2 was put literally to kill tank and support dominance. Dps would never been viable and played in pro setting without 2-2-2 unless you wanted to completely smash healers and tanks with a nerf hammer.

I disagree. I would love to be a single tank in 5v5 environment with 2 healers focusing on me.

Compared to 2/2/2, it’s less damage, less CC and more healing for every tank player.

3/2/1 could work with a radical change in game balance.

Most of the off tanks would need to become DPS. Off tanks could become DPS who also have the ability to peel and do some minor tanking to protect from flankers. Like Hog could still hook a flanker to save a support but he wouldn’t have his face tanking ability.

Anyone remaining a Tank would need more ability to protect the team.

The high damage DPS heroes would need some slight nerfs all around so we don’t end up with a meta of 3 burst dps heroes obliterating every other comp immediately.

Ya so all the CC enemy heros will be focusing on you, ya so much fun dieing all the time

Fewer players per team means less CC, not more.

how about to add a bunch of new supports and tanks instead so these roles get actually interessing…
smh

No, it wasn’t.
Even during Beta you would get the “Not enough Tanks/Healers” notification if you only picked one.

1 Like

Role queue is a failed experiment. It didn’t fix anything. Why are we still suggesting tweaks to something that obviously does not work ?

And yet it was the initial intent.
This a literal statement that was made by the devs.
What the meta ended up being is irellevant to what their intended meta was.

Tanks and healers offered too much to make 3-4 DPS viable and so the meta was miles off what they had hoped.

I was replying to the guy that wanted 6v6 but 1 tank, i have mostly only played tank and support sunce game launched 1 tank or 1 healer happened almost all the time before role que after 2 seasons on it i just gave and now refused to solo tank or heal, pre RQ if i was Solo i would switch to 4 or 5 DPS, solo tanking or support is a nightmare and takes all the fun from the game, turns it into a chore cause you are stuck doing the job of two people

The dps don’t need compensation. Yes dps needs fixing but the solution is not making more people join the most crowded category. Especially when the overcrowded role leads to not very pleasurable experiences for all involved including people who want to try the less crowded roles. Make other roles appealing and fixing dps in comparison to there other dps to be more open to options is how you fix que times.

Before role lock if you were interested in a non-dps character you would be like sure I give this reinhardt guy a try only to have to go a healer instead because no one else would heal. Attempts to branch out end up with sour experiences because you don’t get the proper support from your team to do so.

This is the first time I am ever hearing this.
Also it makes absolutely no sense to make the majority of the Tank roster Off-Tanks if the “intended” META is 4/1/1 :woman_shrugging:

How exactly do you do that though? You could say “add more tanks and healers” – but as soon as they do that it breaks the game. Tanking and healing abilities get stacked and combined in insane ways. But with 2/2/2 if you don’t make more heroes for the non-DPS roles they are less appealing because there is less choice.

Also you have to consider not everyone is just a “tank player”, “support player” or “dps player”. I like to play DPS too, which make up most of the hero roster. But I can count how many times I’ve played DPS role in comp on one hand since role queue came out. I won’t wait that long. If I want to play DPS heroes I play arcade these days.

So they absolutely have to increase the number of DPS slots (or reduce the other two). Because if they don’t, DPS queue times will stay at 15 minutes+ and only get worse over time. Hell - this is how long “quick play” times are for DPS these days. There is nothing “quick” about that. That is a huge problem for the game. More than half the hero roster is unavailable to them unless they are willing to wait.

At the same time you shouldn’t discount the other two roles to favor DPS either. 3/2/1 destroys the tank role, the least desirable role to play in the game right now, even with 2/2/2. No one will want to play tank. When my team experimented with 3/2/1 before role lock the only viable tank was Wrecking Ball. Dragons won a stage with that comp.

So the only viable option I see is 2/1/1. PvE is based on 2/1/1. Several Arcade modes are 4v4. Other games use 4 man squads. It would bring balance across the entire game, not just the competitive mode. It’s less cognitive load, and more approachable for new players.

2/1/1 opens up the DPS queue times more than 3/2/1 does. Match making is better as well as you have fewer players to compare. Less CPU requirements with fewer players. Less network issues.

They don’t have to reduce anything other than the number of dps being more than tanks and supports combined. Add a new hero to either cateogry and you get a small amount of dps to be willing to play that hero. Repeat that process enough times and dps que times become more leveled out without changing the 2-2-2 structure