In response to Jeff’s post:
How about 2/1/1 instead (2 DPS, 1 Tank, 1 Support)? If 7v7 is technically challenging and too chaotic because there is too much going on, why not do the reverse? There is already a lot of precedence for this:
- Story modes usually are composed of 4 players, typically 2/1/1.
- Some of the arcade competitive modes are 4v4.
- Other shooters are composed of 3 or 4 player squads.
The biggest problems with 3/2/1 are:
- DPS synergies will be much more obnoxious. Mei/Reaper/Pharah anyone? How about Widow/Hanzo/Ashe?
- Higher chance of a DPS’s hero being taken. Queue times are better, but I don’t get the play the hero I wanted because someone else took it…
- Off tanks needs to be insanely buffed just to compete as a main tank. In their current state, they are unplayable. Not just Roadhog, but D.va and Zarya especially. In fact, I feel that Roadhog in his current state would be in a better position than the other two. A huge red flag should be considering moving Roadhog to the DPS role. Or any tank for that matter.
- Shield changes would have to be reverted and even buffed.
- More pressure on playing tank - IMO to the point I would quit the game. Can you imagine what would happen if Reinhardt messed up his charge and died?
Right now you have a huge DPS queue problem. I get it. But the biggest reason for this problem is the tank role is less desirable to play. Adding a 3rd DPS player while removing the co-tank position is a BAD idea when there are 5 players to protect and 6 enemies to contend with without help.
2/1/1 is similar to 3/2/1 in that the co-tank role is gone. However, it has several benefits:
- DPS queue times are even better - the same as 4/1/1 would be.
- The tank only has to protect 3 people. In 2/2/2, it was kind of 3 or 4. Each tank protected half, and had the others back.
- The tank only has to deal with 4 enemies.
- The same benefits apply to the healer role.
- Tanks don’t need as insane buffs.
- Heal stacking is no longer a thing.
- The game is better balanced across all modes.
- Less cognitive load for everyone.
- Less CPU resources needed (buff the FPS on the Switch?)
- Higher likelihood of queuing with your friends in fairer matches.
- OWL teams don’t have to shake up their rosters too much. They don’t need a third DPS player and only have to play 1 of their tanks.
The downside is you still have to balance the characters in this mode. But you’d have to do that with 3/2/1 as well anyway. But IMO, the balancing would be more healthy. Lastly, you may have to reduce the size of 2CP maps, especially Paris. The payload maps are probably fine.