Jeff, what about 2/1/1 (4v4) instead?

Well who would be the other 2 members of Blackwatch?

We only knew of Reyes, Genji and McCree before Moira was released.

Plus bots would be so much easier to kill with 6 people, look at VS AI, it’s so easy even on the hardest difficulty.

Because it would take to many bots to beat people that way? Might be engine problem of number of models that it can run at the same time or somethign to stay on the same limits as a base game have who knows.

He didn’t say it would happen, his post explicitly finished by saying they didn’t feel it was a good fit for the game although there were both positives and negatives to the stack arrangement.

I largely agree that it would be a poor fit for the game and I’m glad they’ve decided against pursuing it further.

1 Like

1/2/1 is too radical. 1/2/2 would work much better - most benefits of 1/2/1 without the downsides.

1 Like

3/2/1 also kills tank synergy. I’m talking about 3/2/1 vs 2/1/1. Jeff is talking about doing 3/2/1 instead. In your mind, which would be better, 3/2/1 or 2/1/1?

3/2/1 would also require a complete overhaul of tanks. In fact, they would need insane buffs just to stay alive. In 2/1/1 they would not need as many changes because the total DPS would be lower having 2 DPS instead of 3.

The game already feels that way with 2/2/2. It’s nearly impossible as a support in solo queue.

You would need Ana. And only Ana. Besides, you can always tone down those abilities.

How do you know? This is an assumption. Every other shooter out there have 3 to 4 player squads. The biggest reason for this team work with more than 4 people is difficult. Too many people to keep track of.

the 1-3-2 might sound daunting for a tank.

how am i gonna protect my team against 3 dps by myself?
the truth is, you dont, and that’s the freeing aspect of it.

you are now unchained by the very fact that you can’t, and now you will have to adapt a more “be where you are needed”
mindset which can mean that it’s not allways gonna be to block damage.

it can mean a lot of new possibilities and action for you to take to be able to accomplish that goal atleast somewhat, and your new role is going to make you have to play completely differently.

very much so how the barrier nerf pushed tanks to be more active, this will now make tanks more free from meta compositions and being bound by the other tank players choice aswell as being someones personal bodyguard.

And the amount of DPS is based on the fact that the game was originally supposed to be played in a 1-4-1 enviroment.

keyword

Non, i like it how it is right now.

They still would, as the total dmg stays the same and barriers go down.
Besides, unlike the other form, some tanks would just be straight up useless.

Okay…

No, you would need an ana that can hit her sleep dart, otherwise Genji will most likely kill half the team, winning the fight.

Because it wont fix the problem with dd q time.

It might look like you will get more games as a dd, but it will also lead to a lot of tanks and supports, who dont like the system to either swap or stop playing…

I would suggest 1/3/1, the same composition as a World of WarCraft dungeon group. Yes that would mean no more sustain, but that’s the point of a FPS game, players are SUPPOSED to die. The tank and healer would only be a ‘supplement’, they would no longer be standalone.

How to kill a game in one change…

honestly i’m kind of fine with 1-3-2, one support for the tank and 1 support for the dps and the supports can help each other when they get targeted.

the 1-3-1 only works in wow because the tank is the only character expected to take constant damage.

I’m pretty sure they stated it was in fact not well designed for 1-4-1 and it actually felt horrible to play like that while it was being practiced by the devs…

this is a point that always keeps getting brought up out of context

I gave you 2 options. There isn’t a “neither” option. This means your mind isn’t open. If you cannot consider alternatives to “how it is right now” your mind is closed.

Not nearly as much as they would with 3/2/1. And DPS synergies would be insane.

I think you missed my point. In 2/1/1 Ana is the only healer. This makes blade harder to pull off. If it is still too much, tone it down.

With either 3/2/1 or 2/1/1 Genji is indirectly buffed because of a less overall enemy health pool to wither down with his chip damage.

But again, either of these options would likely need DPS to be toned down a bit.

This is an assumption. Jeff said 3/2/1 would have better DPS queue times than 2/2/2 and that 4/1/1 would be even better but playing a single support felt horrible. Mathematically 2/1/1 has the same benefit as 4/1/1 for queue times. Even more so because you have fewer players to match up and more players to choose from.

A single support would feel horrible in 4-1-1 because:

• You have 5 other people to heal.
  • You have 4 DPS focusing your down, and perhaps 1 tank (dive tanks).

With 2/1/1 you only have to heal 3 other people. You only have to deal with 2 DPS, as you do in 2/2/2.

The cognitive load of the game in 2/1/1 would be far less than 2/2/2, 3/2/1, or 4/1/1. And we’ve done it already in Arcade ande in Story modes. The difference is you’d still have role queue.

How about 1MainTank,2DPSorOffTank,2Heal

honestly i wouldn’t be opposed to having 1-3-2.
imagine this, now you don’t have to roll your eyes when your tank buddy picks roadhog and you are limited to playing orisa only.

or hey my tank buddy picked zarya, i now pick reinhardt or else i will never hear the end of it.

or “we need a shield” news flash, that shield isn’t gonna last long enough to just sit behind safely for the entire game and is now only a personal barrier for the tank so they can accomplish what they need to do to survive themselves.

that’s why i’m kind of rather curious about this composition change.
and also i wonder how they would re-balance the tanks too.

The flak?
So, after i thought about both i came to the conclusion that no changes are needed…
Sounds better?

Nice, but i dont care about dd synergie here, i want to keep the tank and support one.

They would, just look at RH.
Besides, i can already see the forum crying over only having a RH as a tank while reporting the RH player ingame.
Sounds fun.^^

How is it harder to pull of pressing 2 Qs after each other? Ana needs no extra input for Nano Blade besides her Q.

So, we cut the healer class down to only one healer… Nice^2.

It would need dds to be tonde down a lot. Like slegehammer nerfs to most heros just to not make Tanks and supports feel like trash.

You are forgetting all the players that would stop playing the game or swap rolles.
Something you cant predict.

So the solution to weak barriers is throwing more dmg at them… sounds nice^3

A healthier DPS environment benefits the game overall. Role lock may have happened because of DPS, but it was done to cater to Supports and Tanks. Now the DPS role needs compensation.

For my friend circle at least, changing to 2/1/1 would immediately end Overwatch being our main chill together game. We frequently end up with 5 or 6 players, and it already feels bad enough when we occasionally end up with a 7th and someone has to sit out.

I know most people probably don’t play in big stacks like that, but for those who do a small team size would really suck.