Jeff talks about changes to Brigitte

“Jeff Kaplan revealed on an Overwatch Creator discord that the team is debating changes to the way armor from Brigitte’s Repair Packs works. That sounds like a possible Experimental Card.”

"One of the suggestions came from OWL talent Jake, who suggested to scale the armor based on the hero’s base HP."

https://imgur.com/a/bMU4xHT

Disclaimer: As of right now, I don’t have a direct screenshot of Jeff saying this, but this information was shared by Omnic Post (a popular Overwatch news page on Instagram)

Jeff said this only one month ago:

What do you think they will do? This is, of course, if they decide on changing it.

11 Likes

I think I could easily see them making armor behave like it already behaves for Beam weapons.

Armor

• Blocks 20% of damage received

With the key detail, that they could have it apply to all of the damage dealt, even if there’s only 1 point of armor.

Widow FullCharge Headshot. -->
D.va with 200 armor, and 400hp =
240 damage

Widow FullCharge Headshot. -->
D.va with 1 armor, and 400hp =
240 damage

Which would flip Armor from being anti-Dive, to being anti-Poke.

1 Like

I feel like this would be a very good change. Burst heroes like McCree, Ashe and Widowmaker are very oppressive to play against when played well. Buffing armour pack’s damage reduction will help tanks feel more tanky.

Dva definitely needs something like this to help her out. She gets shredded so quickly, as does every tank that doesn’t have a shield.

13 Likes

Yup, all the top tiers are filled with snipers, or sniperish heroes, and Hanzo just got more ranged burst damage on his StormArrow.

Would make sense that they would steer things back to counter that.

2 Likes

(This is more than just an image of brig btw)

I always wondered why they didn’t make armor just a flat percentage decrease in damage.

7 Likes

I’m assuming they were worried about tanks becoming “too tanky”, which is why we have this complicated armour system.

1 Like

Additionally, Tracer/Winston/Dva/Hammond type damage would benefit from a flat percentage decrease.

Which would push the game towards Dive.

Which is a crowd favorite with high tiers, pros, and audiences.

But also could be the answer to how you avoid DoubleBarrier, without making SingleBarrier too weak.

Since it should be obvious that the counter to DoubleBarrier needs to be close range damage.

They will never do scaling. Don’t ask me why, but the only “scaling” I recall seeing so far is with IF maintaining 20% health, and that barely qualifies. My guess is they will do the usual fiddling with the knobs on numbers approach. Players gone wild love to consider radical changes to characters, never thinking about the possibility of unintended effects in ways they never considered. Would not surprise me in the least if they just shift the armor / healing ratio on packs, or extend out the c/d time.

People have forgotten how tired of DIve they got before…

2 Likes

They weren’t so much tired of Dive, as zero meta diversity.

I would argue it’s pretty easily better than GOATs or DoubleBarrier or Reaper/Mei almost-GOATs.

I expect one change will be them quietly removing her Police skin.

1 Like

Armor blocking 20% of damage is how it currently works for Beam weapons.

So it’s not that strange.

Especially considering how complicated armor math is currently.

Personally i no longer care, they can ruin whatever they want…ball and brig were last i liked playing, brig will be ruined , and ball will remain, until they ruin him some other patch and i can freely leave the game. its meh at this point, blizzard made it easy to quit.

4 Likes

My dream armor changes is basically this + making armor block headshots.

It would make armored heroes truly tanky - which is fitting, seeing as how (with the exception of torbjorn) every armored hero in the game is either a tank or a tank hybrid.

It would help a lot with the problem of tanks feeling fragile these days, and give a true counter to “sniper-stomping” in the form of Brig’s armor packs.

uhhhhh u have it backward here

they aint gonna buff armor

they trying to nerf brig armor pack, or atleast adjust it

jake said brig armor on tracer are OP, make her unkillable, and jeff said he kinda agree with that statement

maybe it will give armor based on health, so 10% of total HP

so armor on tracer probably only get 15 armor (since she only had 150 HP), and armor on rein will still get 50 armor ( rein 500 HP)

1 Like

More messing around with balanced supports instead of fixing real problems.

The elephant in the room is the entire Tank roster.

9 Likes

If they decide to rework and thus weaken armor, they should definitely give Brig either more inspire self healing or more shield hp.

Instead of turning others into sustain Monsters, she should be able to sustain herself first.

Overall a power redistribution doesn’t sound bad, but flat out nerfs should be out of the question.

We don’t need to kill every good support that isn’t Lucio or Ana.

6 Likes

Well, I did just make a thread on this.
If you don’t mind replying to it.

The headshot changes might be too much. But just know that even with a fully charged Hanzo arrow vs a 200hp Soldier with 1 extra point of armor. It would leave him with 1hp.

✅ Armor = 20% Resistance, & Discord changes

1 Like

It’s more of a change to armor.

A flat 20% damage reduction actually makes armor worse against shotguns and rapidfire, where current armor acts like a 50% damage reduction.

I kinda like the armor change idea of yours, but I feel like 20% might be too less (not sure tho).

I would not mind dive becomjng strongee bur at the same time armor should not be almost worthless against it.

30-35% sounds better to me, would need testing tho and would maybe need adjustments on the tank health bars.