It's been 1200 days since Mercy was reworked

Confused as to why you think they don’t belong here.
This thread is for remembrance of an extremely impactful ultimate/rework, Valkyrie, and its iterations leading up to now.

And eventually she did become trash.

It’s a bit amusing, that devs absolutely refuse to touch main issue with Valkyrie. Whole rework seems to me like an excuse to absolutely destroy Mercy.

3 Likes

Oh, here we go again with the “hide and rez” fable. I never observed this. Never seen it as a widespread problem on the forums or on reddit. Never heard the devs talk about it until after the Mercy changes.

You can see Mercy in video the OP posted - there is no hiding. she was healing, and that was the norm. And, frankly, even if Mercy was hiding: man-up and do some counterplay. The same children scream about “git gut” when Hanzo decapitates you with an arrow from Tokyo to Cleveland, now are too fragile to look for the ostensible hiding Mercy. When I play against Sombra, I look for her translocator, I don’t whine about "Oh, god, she is OP, I have to look “into every room” to find her silent, unmovable translocator. Boo hoo. That’s the game.

IMO, the Mercy changes were just a cover for OWL. Resurrections in a FPS make for a unique game but also a boring esport: "Reaper comes in with the ultimate for the quad kill! Wait a minute! Here comes Mercy with her ultimate. ". The implicit assumption is support ultimates can never be as impactful as non-support ultimates. Back then, The anti Mercy people/DPS people would literally use the verbiage of Mercy “reversing” or “deleting” their ultimate; meanwhile, in reality, DVA and Genji say hi.

As a Mercy main pre-2018, what I found happening more often was that the other team kills the Mercy first. As she runs to her dying teammates, she uses her ultimate to resurrect her team. It was paradoxically the team’s initial focus on Mercy that often led to Mass Resurrections in the first place. If the respawn timer had been longer sooner, the Mercy changes may not have been necessary (though, to be clear, they were never necessary).

10 Likes

True. All remaining support ults(with possible exception of Nanoboost) are designed in a way, that countering them often is only a matter of 1 enemy with correct ult or correct ability to ruin everything. Or even simple brute force approach, as they often fail to withstand massive damage.

Even if there is hiding, it has a reason - Mercy completely lacks burst healing outside of her resurrect. I am unsure, why people expect Mercy to stay, once her healing stops being sufficient, if she has to survive until last stage of fight to use her ult.

Most supports back off and take cover, if they are preparing to use their ult, but it’s not right moment for it yet. Since you have to live, until your ult is active, and not die before or in the process of casting it.

2 Likes

She still needs another minor rework, but at least we’ll never get the garbage that was Mass Rez back.

Mercy and Widow go together like peanut butter and jam.

Especially blueberry jam

2 Likes

I hate your clip. Thank you for posting it.

1 Like

I played mostly Mercy in GM during that time period and I experienced the hide and rez problem all the time. I refused to do it because I wanted to be with my team trying to keep them alive and I’d get yelled at for not running off and hiding when my rez was up (which it was almost every fight). It was a widely-accepted strategy. I never want to hear “Die on the point! Die on the point!” ever again.

Also, having every engagement revolve around Mercy for both teams was exhausting. Even if she was only on one team, she dictated the whole flow of the match. You had to make sure you found her before you ulted, but then make sure you didn’t kill her too early or she’d get back from spawn in time to pull off the rez. It was a silly time for Mercy and, therefore, the world.

2 Likes

Remember when there was a way to punish rampant ult spam?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

5 Likes

No, it was great time, when all your mobility actually mattered.

Valkyrie is just silly joke. Sure, you can fly, your GA/beam range is increased by a lot…but hunting you is no longer a priority, making all that mobility just additional reason to target someone more valuable.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by that. Mercy had less mobility back then and less need for it at the same time.

2 Likes

It was enough, since you actually had something, that would make enemies target you, despite your quite fast GA movement.

What happened to Mercy, is like if Genji was given ult, that gives him infinite air jumps, ability to climb wall no matter how high said wall is, but only his standard damage. Since he no longer can slice whole team in half, no one would fear his ult anymore.

3 Likes

Mercy is still public enemy #1 in my games. The threat of even a single rez is enough to ensure that even if you aren’t worried about the rest of her kit or her ult. She’s still the highest-value kill; She’s just not an absolutely required kill that the whole match revolves around anymore.

2 Likes

Not at all, since you only have to target whoever she has to revive. Zero threat, considering how fast it is for one player to die, which, unlike Mercy, usually doesn’t have such mobility to get out. If you add usual resurrect restrictions, often Mercy just won’t dare resurrecting them, as it would be suicide.

2 Likes

Honey just because YOU didn’t “observe” something doesn’t mean it wasn’t real. That’s not how life works. I did observe this, I actively PARTOOK in it, many top Mercy players on Twitch and Youtube did as well, there are Mercy hide-and-rez “best map spot!” tutorials that still exist to this day. EeveeA literally said she mained Mercy back then because she had vision problems where she’d have trouble seeing for brief periods of time during a game but could rely on being able to stand behind a corner and then fly ult and rez her team if they died while she wasn’t healing. Yuno and Vale and Animetic all hid and rezzed in their streams and videos too. And clearly many other players including the Devs observed it too because they spoke about it in the video that discusses her rework :).

There was virtually none. An instant cast ult that instantly revives people doesn’t have counterplay.

It’d have counterplay if it had a cast time and slow/root like current Rez does. It did not.

E rez had basically no counterplay except it’s short range back when it was instant. Mass Rez ult had 3x the range.

Killing Mercy before she can ult isn’t counterplay, as that applies to all heroes. Killing her teammates again after she ults isn’t counterplay either, as her rez still worked and forced you to waste more time/resources/ults on killing them.

You can talk and talk on and on all you want and act all high and mighty but at the end of the day it got removed three years ago for good reason and is never coming back. Sorry to burst your bubble. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Everytime I do it just tilts the rework-Mercy brigade on here who can’t admit that many Mercy players DID rely on hide-and-rez and out-of-spawn rezzes.

When will they realize no one will take them seriously if they continue to deny that hide and rez was a thing. Accept it happened and offer solutions to how it could have been fixed with changes, like plenty of other Mercy players on here do who want mass rez back so even though I disagree with them I at least respect that they can admit it was an issue that occurred and come up with ways it could have been prevented.

4 Likes

I thought that was kinda fun learned tech, but yeah turned out to be way too OP.

1 Like

Basically, it made a circle - when Mercy wasn’t hiding, it was too OP, so back to the hiding we go, for single resurrects this time.

1 Like

Before I go in: don’t put words in my words in mouth, I never said it wasn’t real, I said it was not a “widespread problem on the forums or on reddit”. Thank you.

Oh, one more thing, you state the “. . . [d]evs observed it too because they spoke about it in the video that discusses her rework”. Here, you’re basically admitting this nerf was sprung on the community. There was no warning from the developers that this was a problem, only crying from the child-influencers in an ostensible elite circle of players. Can you recall one post/video/notice where the developers discussed the “hide and rez” fable with the community prior to her nerf? For example, we know the developers are looking into Symmetra because they’ve made that intention in posts and in videos. If there is a Symmetra rework tomorrow, no one will be surprised. Please provide the notice the developers gave the community regarding the “hide and rez” fable prior to the nerf. Don’t worry, we’ll wait for you.

Now, I had to Google all of the people in your post because I don’t keep up with Twitch, OWL, Pokemon, or Lil’ Pump. From what I can see, these are all children. For example, one of the people you mentioned, Eeveea is currently 23 years old. Meaning in 2018, she would’ve been approximately 20 - 21 years old. This is going to sound mean, but I honestly do not care what some child [who likely a dependent on someone’s tax return] thinks about the game. This isn’t a dig at young people, I think ya’ll great, but your non-expert opinion weighs as much as Kim Kardashian’s opinion on particle physics.

Unlike the lot of you, I don’t allow a 20-year-old child-influencer to dictate to me when to piss or sneeze or what to do or think. It’s disappointing that instead of looking at respawn times, Blizzard bowed down to a bunch of children to gut Mercy but, again, they need to play to their demographics.

3 Likes