Is #ReworkMercy Even Needed?

I only need slightly more healing or little burst healing option and I will be glad :slight_smile:

No rework needed, just some minor buffs.

2 Likes

Replace instant rez with 0,4 - 0,75 sec cast time and she would be perfect.

Add some more solo target healers, leave Ana alone and mercy wouldn’t be a must pick.

:slight_smile:

Grav dragon combo got nerfs, there is goats. Donno if duo sniper or solo healing mercy would be viable anymore.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s accurate; lots of people were unhappy with the rework even while Mercy was a must-pick, judging by several megathreads on the old forums. The major points of criticism existed when she dominated the meta so her being off-meta can hardly be the core of the issue.

I believe the idea mostly comes from:

• Her kit lacks potential to make skillful plays on her own.

Speaking of which…

Personally I wouldn’t use the term “carrying” if you have to rely on your teammates in any shape or form.
You’ve mentioned you’re in high Masters, that’s pretty good. On that rank most of your teammates should be able to hit their shots, prioritize targets correctly and play as a team in general, so you might take it as a given that the DPS you are boosting will more often that not get a kill, for example.

The thing is, the vast majority of players are playing in lower ranks, where that kind of experience is the exception rather than the rule. Your damage boost potential is void if the person you are boosting misses their shots. You can’t ressurect teammates who died 1v6ing the enemy team.
You can’t even get much value out of Guardian Angel if your teammates are spread out too much.

Mercy is supposed to be an entry level healer, but at the same time she is dead in the water if her team doesn’t play as a team, which happens to be a very common entry level issue. The way I see it that leaves her in a bad spot all things considered.

8 Likes

Impact/fun =/= balance my dude :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Why should it be unfair for low elo players? Its just being better = more value, not like if you’re bad at her you wouldnt get any value from rez, because you surely would

Wait, a mercy main without the opinion of the cult?
Burn them at the stake!

1 Like

Yes it is needed. The devs gave us an unwanted and unnecessary rework. Now we want one again because we arent happy with what happend to Mercy. If they can rework her for “unfun to play against” they can also rework her for “not fun to play as”. It is time they keep their made promises and make her more engaging and fun to play.

7 Likes

She’s literally the same hero she used to be.She even got an extra ability.The only thing that changes is her ult.
Now if some rework mercy fanatic comes and says “but that not true”.It is true.It’s a fact,she has the same M1 mechanic she used to have
Some people come to me and say “but she doesn’t have bunny hop”,but she got superjump.I guess that means she’s a complietly different hero.
Suck it up.

It’s mostly just an “I dont like Valk” movement imo. At least people are starting to move past Mass Rez so that’s good. Progress.

2 Likes

I hope none of this comes across as rude, I’ve loved Mercy for a long time, and I’ve seen the countless threads and videos and arguments about her. I just wanted to finally get some of my opinions out and have a discussion with someone because, honestly, I’m a bit sad about where this whole thing has landed us.

I don’t believe this is even close to the direction most people want Mercy to go to. I don’t see many people arguing to take her back to that ridiculously op, must-pick state. I think it comes from Mercy players wanting to be able to impact the game again. Wanting the core of their kit to feel powerful, not like a kitchen alarm. And wanting their character to be valued, fun, and, I repeat, impactful.

So… we ignore the character fantasy that the devs told us to expect from this character? Mercy was supposed to be the quintessential healer, known for her reliable and powerful single target healing. Let’s not forget that.

Huge Rez gave YOU, the MERCY PLAYER, a chance to turn the tide of a losing fight. Valkyrie gives your TEAMMATES a chance to win a fight. I would argue that this fight is already an even fight at that. Valkyrie’s effectiveness as an ultimate is almost entirely dependent on your teammates, not what you do. Sure, you can choose when to pop it, which is usually a simple task, but you do nothing other than swap between beams. Often times, you might not even switch beam targets or the beam type, depending on the situation. And Huge Rez with GOATS… if we’re talking about Mercy 1.0, imagine an Ana nade lands on that clumped team you’re talking about. Now Mercy isn’t healing for ult charge, MIGHT be getting some from damage boost, and has absolutely no midfight ability. Sounds like a pretty rough spot to be in to me.

I disagree here as well. Less situational awareness? Imagine rezzing 3 or 4 or even all 5 teammates having no awareness of the fact that they have, say, graviton surge. Now you’ve not only wasted your ult, but given the enemies more ult charge as well. AND lost time on top of that. Someone dying was not an instant reason to press q. I’m not sure what you even mean by that.

You’ll have to help me understand this part because I’m definitely not following what you mean. The only things you need to know are honestly “Is Valk available?” and “Are my teammates alive to benefit from it?” lol. It’s not going to counter an ult or drastically change how the teamfight is going or will continue.

Is this the same old “die on point” argument? We can talk about that if you want, but I want to be sure that’s what you’re saying first. And, I would argue very passionately that the typical “hide and rez” argument and generally more favorable tempo rezzes were a good way to distinguish between a good and a bad mercy. I would like to know this as well, after using valk, what might you and a “less skilled” mercy do differently that would distinguish one from another?

Balance isn’t really the main issue.

I could just as easily say “she was never unfun to play against and should be reverted”. We’re here to state our opinions and “argue” (respectfully<3) to come to some form of consensus or at least see each other’s points, not state an opinion assertively in an attempt to “negate” counterargument.

This actually sounds interesting, what did you have in mind?

Also interesting, like a… shotgun healer with a beam? XD

Uhhh they certainly could if they chose to. Everyone makes mistakes, I don’t think you should not try and fix it in an attempt to avoid admitting making it. Especially because I really want to believe that this rework started with the best of intentions anyway, I want to assume that people would be understanding of further changes/partial or total reverts. (Though people are cruel I guess).

I’ll end with this, because I really hate seeing people say this. You don’t get to make changes to a hero because of others (which non-mercy players were a large part of the reason she was changed) and then tell them to wait for you to fix it. I wouldn’t go to a store, ask for a lemon, be given a watermelon, and quietly go to the back of the line and wait for ages for it to be fixed. I don’t think it’s fair at all to call someone “entitled” or any of the other pretty rude things people call a lot of Mercy players for speaking out. (I know you’re not doing that here, but a lot of people add that in when they talk about “not enough time for Mercy changes again”)
Speaking for myself, and possibly others, old Mercy was a reason I fell in love with the game. The reason I was willing to spend money on the game. The reason I devoted hours and hours into the game. I don’t know if it’s exactly fair to yank that away without really caring how I (or in this case, many Mercy players) feel about it. And then to ignore our asking for, at the very least, further tweaks.
I know that got really ranty, I’m sure there’s typos, and I’m sure you disagree with a lot. I hope we can continue a civil discussion about this, because I’m really interested in having one. I hope I didn’t come across as rude or anything, I’ve just kind of grown tired of seeing Mercy like this :frowning:

8 Likes

excuse me what the seal?
i just got stunned omg
what’s unhealthy? people missing that? or it being removed?

To OP:

I do not think this movement is needed, and I will add that I have yet to see a movement I felt was needed

Maybe if someone started a #PleaseIdentifyAndBanAllFalseReporters and/or a #PleaseIdentifyAndBanAllToxicPlayers movement, I think i’d get behind those

1 Like

I think Lumi explained it best in his video. Her playstyle has changed where you can no longer be as passive as you once were; and therefore to get the potential from her you NEED to be aggressive and take risks with her.

(I just think to some the change to an aggressive play still doesn’t provide enough of a reward.)

2 Likes

This is basically what I was going for with my “Mercy is fine.” post, but I don’t like typing a lot. :rofl:

2 Likes

No. The pre-rework Mercy is the source of nostalgia and the target state that people who want Mercy reverted actually want want her reverted to.

No. As she is right now, Mercy may not be part of GOATS but she’s also not a terrible pick since her Valkyrie healing and ult charge buff. Statistically speaking, she looks pretty… okay, right now. There’s nothing incredibly special about her numbers. It’s not about Mercy’s power level, it’s about how much of her power is actually in the hands of her player.

It did, and that patch galvanized the community response level that we have right now.

The Mercy we have now is objectively less powerful than the Mercy we had before the healing beam nerf. The sum of the changes up to and including the healing beam nerf did not make her more viable than she was before. They are, as a whole, a nerf from her former state.

No. Mercy doesn’t heal enough because she can be played perfectly and her allies still die in a fraction of a second despite her best efforts. In many cases they die because they made serious mistakes in their own gameplay, but those are not Mercy’s mistakes and it’s really disheartening to be continually punished for someone else’s poor decisions… particularly when you know you could have compensated for them if only you had Ana or Moira level healing output. This would be less of an issue if Resurrect wasn’t so stupidly risky.

Mercy does have damage boost, and damage boost is good… but it’s only getting stuff done if your target ally does something with it. It isn’t power in Mercy’s hands, it’s power that Mercy can give to someone else. Again, as with Mercy’s limited healing output, Mercy is punished for her teammates’ poor gameplay more than any other healer. She ends up feeling helpless even when she’s doing everything right.

In general, yes. And that’s a balance problem.

It’s really not. Ana has higher potential impact than Mercy. Even though there are mechanics to keep Ana’s potential in check, even including the ability to block her healing with shields/DM and so on, the fact that Ana has so much higher potential means that Ana will be the default go-to pick any time she can survive with her low mobility. Recent anti-dive hero additions like Brigitte, despite Brigitte’s nerfs, can help ensure that Ana stays alive longer than ever before. Either Mercy needs decisively stronger healing again instead of having to compete with Ana’s superior utility AND healing, or Mercy needs significant changes to other parts of her kit like Resurrect to improve her utility.

Or, perhaps, it could be that Lucio’s aura is the optimal healing source between them for a tightly-clustered team they happen to be playing with. Lucio’s passive aura even without amp blows Mercy’s pitiful 50 hp/sec out of the water when you consider the total healing it can do per second to all affected targets.

It’s true that Lucio should be getting a lot of value out of speed instead of just camping healing aura all day, but likewise Mercy should be getting value from damage boost where possible. Both healers should still heal when healing is needed, and in many team comps Lucio has the superior healing ability.

Definitely not. While DPS-Moira types give dealing damage with Moira a bad name, Moira’s optimal gameplay involves helping your allies confirm kills as much as it involves healing them. Moira’s consistent 50 hp/sec purple beam is consistently more valuable and easier to use optimally than Mercy’s 30% damage boost. The damage Moira deals per-game is orders of magnitude greater than the damage that Mercy contributes with both her blue beam and pistol combined.

Moira definitely does not have a less impactful ult. Coalescence enables Moira to not only heal her team faster than Mercy can heal with Valkyrie, but also deal damage to enemies at the same time in an amount that is greater than what a 30% damage boost affords to non-Bastion heroes. While Coalescence doesn’t let Moira fly, in terms of raw output and by extension impact on the outcome of a fight, Coalescence is plainly the better ultimate.

YES. When used to resurrect 1-2 allies in the middle of a fight, Resurrect as an ultimate was far superior to Valkyrie because you could use it to swing a fight in your favor after both teams lost heroes. Valkyrie lacks the impact necessary to swing the momentum of a fight. You can only use it to press an advantage that your team already has.

Why would you ever use Valkyrie after a team fight is already over? For that matter, why would you waste a Resurrect ultimate when a fight is already decided?

No, for the ultimate Resurrect, it was not a clear signal. It was an opportunity, but it was never a given that a Mercy who had Resurrect charged should use it because an ally is dead, even in cases where there were multiple downed allies.

Resurrecting at the wrong time was a good way to feed the enemy team thousands of hitpoints worth of free ult charge and further delay your own team’s regrouping. There was a massive difference between good and bad Mercy players in the usage of mass res, and a big part of that was split-second timing to ensure both a successful Resurrect of all dead teammates and Mercy’s own survival.

While it’s true that you can tell a good Mercy from a bad Mercy by watching their Valkyrie timing, the reward that Mercy gets for good Valkyrie timing doesn’t even come close to the reward that Mercy used to get for a good Resurrect ult, and because of that the difference between the effectiveness of a good Mercy and a bad Mercy with her current kit is much smaller than the difference was with her old pre-rework kit.

Mercy with Resurrect as her ultimate was a much higher skill ceiling hero.

If you resurrect now and get POTG, it’s because your resurrected ally did something impactful. It’s really their play, not yours. You just enabled it. It’s fair to give the Mercy credit for being the enabler, but she has no significant individual power of her own. That’s why Valkyrie Mercy is bad and old Mercy was better.

Yes, actually, it was… but that’s not because of pressing-Q-and-done, it’s because of everything that used to lead up to that moment. So many people try to condense the Resurrect ultimate into the actual moment of activation and criticize it for lack of depth, but what you fail to see is the complexity in all other aspects of Mercy’s gameplay that existed simply because she had the Resurrect ultimate as an option.

Most ultimates in the game require simply pressing Q once to use them, but unlike Resurrect they are not criticized for being overly simple because people tend to understand that a lot of other stuff goes into the decision to ult even after all the work required to create the opportunity. Mercy’s Resurrect was no different, and it deserves credit for that extra complexity.

All that said, and as much as I want Resurrect back where it belongs, it’s not the only solution. I responded to you not because I want to argue about Resurrect vs Valkyrie (even though that’s most of the contents of this post), but because I don’t think you fully understand what the actual problem is.

It’s all about individual impact. Mass res Mercy had it. Valkyrie Mercy has a lot less, and that’s the problem.

8 Likes

Nice article. It shows that the movement has gotten traction and keeps going forward. It’s just that blizzard refusing to acknowledge it. Maybe if it grows larger someday they will.

Yes. In my opinion the stupid slowdown on res needs to go, I don’t care what it takes. I don’t care if they don’t revert mercy or maybe just remove res altogether, but that slowdown is the thing that made me come to this forum in the first place.

1 Like

I found it highly unpleasant and jarring that the writer portrayed two of the most caustic, passive aggressive, and hate-filled individuals I know of in the OW player community as being much nicer individuals than they actually are

That said, the article started off with him taking it as a given (which it isnt) that Mercy needs changes, so the bias in the anti-Mercy direction was evident from very early in the piece, so I suppose this was to be expected

Along the same lines, the article failed for the most part to address the fact that many pro-Mercy folks are fine with Mercy as she is

The one thing I agree with was the title of the article, which highlights the fact that the anti-Mercy folks cannot agree on what change(s) they want to make them happy

Overall, a very disappointing and very biased piece

i totally agree. I am doing a survey to gathering data like this right now. data are not enough to statistically prove anything but there’s a trend that proportionally most rant comes from plat. there’re actually more ppl in masters and GM+ wants Mercy to stay where she is. there’s only about 20% people think a rework will help Mercy.

Well, what makes you think you’re neutral and not biased in your opinion? Everyone is biased to their cause, especially people that have something to do with the thing that is debated. You have your agenda to stop the movement, and they have their agenda to push the movement. The reporter just reports it. His bias lies in creating an interesting article that made people interested in it. It’s a given that everyone have their own bias.

But you cant refute that the movement is getting the traction it needed, because people outside there are starting to notice it.

4 Likes