Is Microsoft's takeover a good thing?

My point is, consoles are very limited to what you can play on them or have shortcomings so ppl aren’t too picky due the limited choice. Games are also very expensive (which is also a limiting factor) unlike PC where the prices drops by 75% after a year or 2.

And you cherry picked parts of what I said and sweat your brains out on it to make a weak point. Not a better display. :joy:

Everything Micro$oft touches ends up dying, so no this is a bad thing through and through. The only purpose of this acquisition was to get rid of the evil greedy goblin Kotick. The price later on for getting rid of him is going to be very bad in a few years.

They got Bethesda and it released Crapfield. Think about it

1 Like

its an irrelevant thing, MS has a good server network for them to use and thats about it, they just leave companies alone otherwise.

The only thing that will change are things bobby actually meddled with, pet projects, thats it.

We will still get balance and balance philosophy, that feels like they watched a couple OWL games, but never play, but think they are experts non the less.

We will still spend 40 hour a week walking, respawning or waiting for a match.

We will still get pay to win dlc heroes (maybe minus the pay part)

We will still get maps that 99% of do nothing cause there are only 5 good spots, with trash decoration all over that just gets in the way.

bobby, as awful as he is, isn’t the one doing these things AND microsoft only really knows how to throw money at things… they never actually learned to fix these problems, it’s why they keep trying to spend their problems away.

Kotick isn’t the reason Brig ran rampant for years.

Kotick isn’t the reason Mauga is busted as hell either.

Kotick being gone won’t change diddly for this franchise.

2 Likes

They didn’t own either of these properties when their respective games were made. Starfield technically released under Microsoft but even that was already under heavy development by the time the acquisition was made. So we really don’t know what Microsoft will or wont do to these studios.

Add this one to the list above.

This one is literally a dead franchise.

From what I’ve heard, MS pretty much gives their dev studios complete creative freedom to do whatever they want. While I’m sure Bobby was part of the issue, I’d imagine the problems are at least several layers deep in the management chain at this point.

2 Likes

Their Age 2 remasters and the corresponding DLCs are actually doing very well. There have been multiple expansions for it in the last few years.

1 Like

The only one of those I have experience with is Minecraft, but my experience with it is extremely good. To this day, we get yearly major content updates for free and everything. Bedrock Edition has extra premium content in the marketplace (maps, minigames, skins, etc.), but it doesn’t feel unfair or anything (and also it’s neat because the majority of it is made by the community, and the people who make the content make money off of it). Meanwhile, other than Realms (official private servers), Java Edition has no in-game purchases whatsoever

You can still make and distribute your own Bedrock addons for free, too. The Marketplace isn’t the only place to distribute them

1 Like

It’s too late to fix anything with this game. It’s forever a charge money to play game with PVE and battle passes.

Now that Kotick is out, it’s gonna take time to see if “Indie company” is gonna get off their lazy keisters and fix the game they ruined in less than 4 years.

Good for the game. Bigger budgets, less pressure.

Bad for the gaming industry as Microsoft slowly gobbles up more and more studios and gets a bigger monopoly.

1 Like

I find that Microsoft’s other live games are significantly better monetized than Overwatch. Halo allows you to earn all your premium credits back by completing the premium battle pass. And battle passes don’t expire, so you can select if you want to progress the current battle pass or an older one. Plus it actually has 100 tiers (unlike any Blizzard game).

As for Forza, keep in mind its a pay-to-play game. They make the bulk of their money from the game’s sale, not microtransactions. I play Forza Horizon 5 and you can unlock 90% of all cars with the standard edition. There are a few paid DLCs for new maps and more cars. The map expansions are worth it imo, but the bonus car packs kinda suck since they should’ve been included with the ultimate edition. But at least there’s no super-broken meta cars in the packs, so you don’t need them to be competitive.

I am hopeful that Overwatch’s montization scheme will improve with the Microsoft takeover. OW2’s monetization was initially so bad I quit playing altogether. It’s still not good now, and I won’t buy anything until it is. Hell, if they even put half the premium credits in the battle pass I’d probably buy it. But with less tiers and a much higher yearly cost than all other games, I don’t bother.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter when they were made. What does matter is MS is not going Bobby Kotick with the franchise. They’re being left intact. They are not in fact, not ruining the IPs. That’s the point.

Age of Empires is very much alive.

1 Like

The last new entry to the series was a 2016 IOS game.

And yes it does matter when Microsoft acquired those franchises. We’ve yet to see what theyre going to do with them. Nobody is debating if they bought companies that made good games. Its about how they’ll manage those IPs.

They’ve had at least 5 Age of Empires Games since 2016.

2 Likes

Yeah, because it’s not like being a popular esport could EVER increase your player base!

if anything microsoft will just make things worse

It can. But “Marketing” that makes your “Sales” worse, is objectively “Bad Marketing”.