Is Microsoft's takeover a good thing?

Yes we all know Kotick is an a****** and it is good that he is gone. But replacing one person isn’t going to change the company.
My question is more towards people who play Microsoft games, particularly those with live services. Do you they have the same predatory monetisation or is it more fair than the what we currently have at Overwatch?
Particularly games like Halo Infinite, Grounded, Age of Empires IV, Forza and Minecraft series.

6 Likes

It’s true. Microsoft ruins pretty much anything it gets its hands on. Not in a disney way, but close enough.

The real question is, though, how do you ruin something that’s already been ruined? Do you ruin it further or ruin it differently?

Frankly, microsoft’s particular brand of ruining things is one of the least objectionable in my experience.

3 Likes

No, the opposite. Have you seen how theyve handled their studios since… forever?

At leas it can’t get worse, right?

Microsoft just leaves their studios on their own. If they are competent you end up with Minecarft, if they are not, there is Halo Infinite.

Try to take a guess how OW will end up.

16 Likes

We’ll see what happens. I’m assuming it’ll be about the same.

1 Like

Yeah. They give them creative freedom, decent budgets, and top tier working conditions.

Well, Halo Infinite is the only BattlePass I know of that doesn’t expire.

6 Likes

Yes and No.

Halo Infinite launch strong, but didn’t have enough content and was missing a lot of features, and didn’t have their monetization figured out.

But the last 8 months they’ve been hard focused on fixing that, and now it’s one of the most popular games on Xbox.

These accounts would tell you all about it
https://twitter.com/mr_rebs_
https://twitter.com/MintBlitz
https://twitter.com/theforgefalcons

If anything, the resurgence of Halo Infinite is a good strategy approach for Overwatch 2.

2 Likes

Problem with Microsoft is they will want to try to look like the good guys… Until they get their dominance and then all of those consumer friendly practices will go out of the window!

They massively reduced Bing rewards for example…

Look forward to game pass price getting even more expensive…

Then they’re going to start putting ads inside of the game…

And if that Matt Booty guy has any sway things won’t go well for the consumer since he was the guy trying to push the bosses to keep stuff off rival cloud platforms…

:pouting_cat:

1 Like

What have they ruined the only thing i have heard about was red fall but that was mostly the devs not having a proper design doc

2 Likes

It is Halo. Ofc it will be popular on xbox even if it is the biggest trash ever made.

I hear about microsoft ruining other franchises with which I’m not involved, but I can say firsthand they tried really hard to make the Halo franchise awful. 4, 5, Infinite, quite not good.

Even if MS was a good company, which I don’t really think it is. Mostly the same people are in charge of OW, the same teams are working on it. The only difference is now OW is one of many games owned by MS and not one of the 3 or 4 Blizzard actively worked on.

Simply put it’s far more likely to get canceled now that it’s just an easy loss to cut.

But apparently halo infinite is doing very good and been fixed

1 Like

You should know better than that.

The email was referring to how GFN wanted companies to keep their products on GFN after the free beta period, without any contract or financial compensation.

So yeah “No Fing way” is very appropriate for that scenario.

Not really, it was rank 50 or so before, and now it’s in the top 10.

But for real, if this is some console war junk, I’ve been on the front lines of that on Twitter for the last 6 months or so. So I can spot a fake talking point a mile away.

1 Like

Being popular on xbox isn’t really a high bar to reach when even OW2 is considered popular there.

ppl really need to touch more PC to see what a good game actually looks like.

Why would they need financial compensation?

GFN is just renting a rig in the cloud - why should they have control over on which hardware or where gamers choose to play?

Also the email said just what I referenced - that he wanted to keep the games off GFN as they were the biggest competitor…

I have a copy of that email saved on my computer somewhere before they took it down heh… need to dig it up…

Unless it’s still available somewhere on the Internet?

Here is what the Verge said about it:

The FTC was also quick to show how Microsoft used to block its first-party games from rival cloud streaming services, a strategy described by Booty as creating “a moat that nobody else can attack.” In a 2021 email from Booty, his frustrations over Nvidia putting Xbox PC games on its GeForce Now streaming service without Microsoft’s permission boiled over. “We are not putting our first-party IP on competing streaming or subscription services. No effing way,” said Booty. (Yes, the original email says “effing,” not something stronger.)

In a March 2021 email exchange with Xbox chief Phil Spencer, Booty recommended that Bethesda’s games also be pulled from Nvidia’s GeForce Now service shortly after Microsoft’s acquisition of Bethesda. “We have pulled all Xbox Game Studios titles from GeForce Now so as to not compete with xCloud,” said Booty. “I would recommend that in the absence of any other plans that we do the same for Bethesda titles.” Microsoft signed a deal with Nvidia recently to bring its Xbox PC games to GeForce Now and try and appease regulators like the FTC.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I am kinda confused; I can’t understand when Microsoft will take over 100% of Blizzard Actovision. I mean, they won everything, but when will the transition be completed 100%?

Have you seen Minecraft Bedrock Edition? They’re gonna monetize custom community modes lol

1 Like

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5462/~/microsoft-%28xbox-game-studios%2C-bethesda%2C-and-activision-blizzard-games-on