If you want better teammates - earn them

Yeah sure, go play fortnite dude.

Just a tip mate: That situation you just posted, is the exception now.

Most of the time, theres like 4 different SRs in the team so yeah, if your Masters DPS is telling you to do something, as high plat/low diamond tank, you should listen to that because he is NOT on your same SR.

Look the Role SR of the dude that is ā€œblamingā€ (if you see it that way, because many times its not) you and think about things. Some people just get triggered instantly and listen to no reason when the actual criticism is 100% legit.

Just saying.

It is so funny that my post on here got ā€œflagged as inappropriateā€ I understand we donā€™t like to accept things about how we play games but itā€™s always going to be the truth. Keep defending unhealthy things for this game and you guys just wonā€™t climb or get better at the game. Things that play the game for you are still bad and unhealthy. You cannot silence the truth, sorry.

Suggesting things to do doesnā€™t fall under this.

What youā€™ve described seems like normal Overwatch to me - someone makes the calls and normally itā€™s best if we listen to the highest rank player.

Iā€™m referring to the person that is silent all game apart from passive aggressively spamming thanks when their team mates dies then writing ā€œtrashā€ at the end of the match.

I donā€™t think it is, and no - I donā€™t flame anyone because I donā€™t see the purpose in doing that. I ask them if I can do something to support them better, or suggest that they stick with us, etc. if I do end up speaking to them, but itā€™s never accusatory and I try to remove any condescending implications.

Flaming someone doesnā€™t do anything. I donā€™t understand why people do it. It does not magically make someone perform better lol

1 Like

Well the second question is the point of this post and we agree on that.

We disagree on the first point but I know a lot of people feel that way. Iā€™ve never met anyone that has said they should be lower than the rank they are in curiously.

Those people are also proā€™s not just the common joe blow.

On paper sure it should work like that all 6 of us relying on each other and working as a team but just like driving a car I canā€™t rely on people to follow the rules and possibly cause an accident so my mindset for that is the rest of the drivers are idiots and I have to avoid them as much as possible.

2 Likes

I agree but there are also several other factors as well like what heroā€™s everyone is using, history of fps games theyā€™ve played etc etc

I believe what they mean is that you have to maximize your performance to climb into ranks where you can actually rely on your team to be more consistent.

It is my belief that the more you have to rely on your team to make plays the closer to your true rank you are. If you are confident that you should be higher ranked then you just have to accept that some games will be bad because of the wide variety of skillsets in the lower rank. You have to commit yourself to perform well no matter who you are matched with. And yes I am well aware that this can be tough if you let other people move you off center.

Develop an internal locust of control and your performance will improve.

1 Like

Itā€™s exactly this. If you feel like you donā€™t have control over your games itā€™s because you probably donā€™t and you shouldnā€™t. It just means you are in the correct rank. If you are in the incorrect rank, having control of your games becomes much easier (think about a smurf) and why unranked ā†’ GM is possible with anywhere from 80-100% win rates.

4 Likes

Because youā€™re an OWL pro player and teams arenā€™t mandatory for you until GM. For the rest of us though? You get lucky.

1 Like

Yes of course, and to add if a player feels they have little control over their matches that is when they need to work on something in their own gameplay, and not get bogged down by the occasional poor teammate or enemy smurf.

1 Like

What do you mean? The one-trick Roadhog complaining nobody is killing Pharmecy is the down and gritty blood of Overwatch.

3 Likes

Ehhā€¦ A single player on a team playing poorly can severely hamper your ability to win the game.

I donā€™t flame teammates but Iā€™ve been flamed for saying things like:

• ā€œ[Player/team] can we take space, we donā€™t need 3 on cart right now, leave [ranged support/dps] on cartā€

• ā€œHey man, that [enemy player/hero pick] is countering you, could you swap?ā€

• ā€œ[Healer], can you pocket [teammate], theyā€™re doing well but could use a pocket against [enemy]ā€

• ā€œGuys, we need to peel for our backlineā€

So, what is your definition of ā€œflamingā€? I feel a lot of people think theyā€™re being flamed when being told their actions are sub-optimum given the context of the current match. When in reality, the more aware, possibly ā€œbetterā€, player is simply trying to fix a win condition the enemy team could easily take advantage of.

Iā€™m assuming this post is directed at the ranked ladder experience. In all honesty, in this context, you should always be expecting your teammates try to be better than their rank - as you do of yourself - because if not, then you canā€™t win and you canā€™t climb.

2 Likes

My definition of flaming is simply calling someone trash with no attempt to constructively improve their game.

I think we all know. Iā€™m not talking about the dude that says we need something to deal with the Pharah. Iā€™m talking about the guy that is silent whole game while Pharah is destroying the team then says ā€œDPS/Tank/Support are trashā€ once defeat comes on their screen

No. It matters greatly.

By and large. The DPS players in ANY game will have higher mechanical skill and game sense in comparison to the tank and support players if they are at their appropriate rank placement.

This ends up creating an extremely toxic environment of having players with higher game sense stuck in games with players of lower game sense, depending on them to do their jobsā€¦ if which those players generally donā€™t even know what their job is.

Basicallyā€¦DPS players are sorted mostly by mechanical skill. They can over time (by playing the other rolesā€¦ research etc.) Improve their game sense above their DPS SR level but be stuck there due to mechanical skill limitation. Which is fine.

Except, their teammates who only play tank or supportā€¦ are there with themā€¦ in their gamesā€¦ with LOWER game senseā€¦ but they are only there due to the distribution curve and lack of competition in their respective roles.

Iā€™m not sure how BLIZZ can fix this. I think the best fix is to HIGHLY encourage players to play all roles fairly equally. Otherwise you end up with the crapfest we have now in ranked.

2 Likes

Itā€™s self regulating. A personā€™s tank SR is measured against all other people playing tank. A personā€™s DPS SR is measured across all over people playing DPS. So if one person is mechanically gifted but has potato game sense, maybe their DPS SR exceeds their tank SR or vice versa.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why you use smurfs and other tricks. If your hero is reliant on others, thatā€™s your only options.

You forgot to add that they gtfo as soon as they press send too. lol

1 Like