I have very little faith in OW2

I enjoy PvP very much but I am very exited about PvE as well. I love games like Diablo, Warframe, L4D, etc. PvE games can be very fun if done well. I’m also very exited about the story campaign, I want to see the world of OW developed.

2 Likes

I have accepted that OW 2 if s not going to be the OW that I used to play.

I’m ok with that cause I honestly won’t have interest in the sequel until it goes F2P. And even then my attention will be on Diablo 2 re-master and Diablo 4 to satisfy PvE needs.

I mean cutting off 1 tank and making the rest brawlers sounds pretty much like drastic changes for me.

But i get where u come from, my faith is also not really there, doubt they are gonna able to properly balance the game for a real competitive environment. But for a nice fast-paced arcadey shooter? They gonna make that happen for sure.

OW has a famously passionate fanbase, far more than the vast majority of video games. That’s not even controversial, everyone knows that.

The fact that you think this means they make game design decisions is hilarious. It’s like when a little kid says they want to grow up to be a dinosaur. You have no idea how embarrassingly naïve this is.

Yeah, exactly. They don’t care about the product. So they aren’t making demands on how that product should be designed and balanced. Activision just needs to justify (some of) their decisions to shareholders (mainly monetization), to show they are financially viable. Beyond that, shareholders don’t care about the game, at all. The debate over 5v5 or 6v6 does not register with them whatsoever. They aren’t grilling Blizzard about how Moira or McCree are balanced. That is not an area of interest to them whatsoever.

Whatever issue you have with OW that makes you mad when you play, that you blame for everyone leaving the game – no one cares. That’s not the level they operate on. They aren’t calling up Blizzard saying, “Hey everyone online hates Brig, you need to address this!” They aren’t telling Blizzard to make OW 5v5 to match other popular games. That’s not how any of this works.

Weird way of phrasing this, since that’s actually their chief concern. Maybe their only concern. They do not care about how the game plays, whatsoever.

1 Like

Luckily the success of OW2 won’t depend on whether or not you or anybody here has faith in them.

The reason i have little faith in OW2 is that they could have gone for 7vs7 too.
But that idea was never mentioned nor persuited. It is all about downsizing.
The only upsizing will probably be in newer not yet illegal “surprise mechanics”.

The issue is that testing 7v7 would require a significant amount of resources for something that might not even be worth it.

1 Like

I was one of the people saying that 5v5 was probably going to be good and that we should wait and see.

But their absolute refusal to do anything about McCree reminded me of how terrible Blizzard is at balancing and now I’m skeptical about OW2 too.

I’m sad. I used to love this game.

4 Likes

I think their biggest issue is the fundamental design change OW2 will bring while still trying to somewhat maintain OW1. Think about it, you’re making a new game where people for whatever reason a doing fundamental design changes on a 5 year old established game. They are gutting abilities and trying to find replacements for them to work in this completely different environment.

Meanwhile, OW1 is still raking in money from OWL sponsors, you have an angry playerbase who have had little to no content for the past year and a half being fueled purely by skins and balance changes that plays completely different to how your sequel is you are making at the same time.
They are needing to balance heroes in OW1 for the way OW1 is played while simultaneously trying to balance OW2 and how they play in that environment. Can you imagine one day working on a hero like Mei for OW1, attempting to ensure she is still playable while the previous day you just removed her primary ability and fundamentally changed the hero for your other game and having to think how each of these changes affect each of the 32 heroes other abilities that have been changed between the two games we don’t know about ONTOP of the new heroes being added?

Having the mentally re-adjust constantly to do the balancing for these two games while in the back of your head thinking “why should I care about OW1 balance, it’s all being removed when the sequel hits anyway”.

This is why I think the balance has been such a mess and why it will not be any better with OW2. If anything, it will probably be much, much worse. Heck the one of the biggest changes they showed was them dumbing a hero down and that was something they were proud of. I can only imagine the sledgehammering of heroes in the sequel so we can have call of duty with healing.

3 Likes

Nobody who says OW is becoming CoD should be taken seriously whatsoever. We have a hamster in a ball mech swinging around the map. We have a flying robot that clones other characters. We have a literal fighting game character.

OW2 is in no danger of becoming just another FPS. That’s not happening. Zero percent chance. It’s beyond absurd to suggest this is even a possibility.

1 Like

believe it or not, there are many of us that think the balance is best its ever been.

Since OW2 is all about PvE, it’s likely gonna succeed in what’s meant to do, but PvP is going down hard so far.

1 Like

Because they want even tighter teamwork, even less room for error, and even more toxicity as byproduct.

Overwatch 2 may become bigger “friendship breaker” game, than Mario Kart.

1 Like

I only see OW2 as PvE and I’m barely playing PvP when it comes out. The PvP changes don’t make a difference to me personally so I’ll just have fun customising heroes in PvE.

Nah, they looked at 7v7 but determined it to be prohibitively expensive.

1 Like

You realise that you dont need to be hyped at all because … its FREE content for OW1 users right? Like generally the “hype” is created to boost sales and bring new people to the game.
This has already been done partially. Like they really dont need to create any and even so, the PvE stuff that has been shown on Blizzcon, still got people hyped.

Sure we all remember Cyberpunk was a massive flop and lately many companies have “failed” to live to the hype, but I see no intention whatsoever to create a “bubble of hype” around OW2 to boost sales of the PvE part.

Like not at all.
And like I said, if you just like the PvP, theres ZERO need for that. Its FREE content.

They’re making a lot of changes to the core of Overwatch, so whether it’s free or not is irrelevant so to speak, it’s still a “new game”, and that in my opinion is nothing to get hyped over due to Blizzard being Blizzard.

Yes, it is, unfortunately. Management do not concern themselves with balance - they got stats on which heroes bring most viewers.