I have to be honest

After the dev AMA, I’m honestly considering moving to paladins full time. So much of what I’ve just heard is just… wrong.

For one, making damage “more lethal” and making everyone have carry potential… That’s what paladins does, but its designed around that, so it works. Overwatch is not designed around that. To be blunt, if they did this I would probably just go to paladins, because it would be better than overwatch. That team based element is what keeps me playing overwatch in the first place.

Next, making tanks more brawl oriented. Whether it’s an “experiment” or not, the way they’ve described this shows me that blizzard does not and never will understand what a “tank” is. A tank is not just a brawler, but it is also not just “protections”. No wonder tanks are so hit or miss in this game. Tanks are protections, area denial, area control, and space makers. At least, they’re supposed to be. But most of the tanks in this game are either dps or are shields. That’s it. Again, paladins has better tank design. Regardless, neither protections only nor brawl will make tanks work. They focus everything into one area of a tank.

Honestly it’s insane to think about. Concerning as well. I mean yeah, they’re only “experimenting” but that also means they aren’t experimenting with toning down damage, or making tanks more like tanks instead of “shield or bust”. Kinda whack.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Its concerning that I’d be considering the move at all.

i know what you mean, i have the feeling they are taking roadhog in the completely wrong direction, paladins has turtle roadhog and they make that work but junker roadhog cant work

1 Like

It’s really bizarre when people act like Tanks should be more like “Damage Sponges” and less like “Heavies” in a game that’s primarily an FPS.

3 Likes

Blizzard Entertainment:
Achievements: creates concepts and games that millions of people play around the world in many different ways because they have a world class understanding of how to make computer games.

Shadowheart:
Achievements: Plays games and posts on forums

One of these two knows what a tank is.

Makoa is pretty much hog but designed properly. Raum is a good example of a roadhog style tank designed right, he is a brawler but still functions as a tank.

2 Likes

Well they clearly aren’t doing a good job at tanks

1 Like

Yeah, and its not them.

They definitely shouldn’t be damage sponges, but in this game that’s how they’re designed, and it’s how blizzard even addresses them.

Do it. The characters are way hotter and have better personality

1 Like

that is very true i played him ages ago but i am thinking i should return to paladins as long as its still somewhat alive

1 Like

A lot of the Overwatch team either worked on WoW, or Overwatch was originally intended to be an MMORPG called Titan.

And they never really designed the game in 2016 to deal with multiple barriers being an issue.

It is. The only reason I still play overwatch instead is because I love it as a game. The characters the world they’ve built, ya know. And they’re much better with ui and content distribution. Gets pretty sickening when maeve gets her 9th skin in a row while moji hasnt gotten one in 2 years.

1 Like

I’m gonna say something that alot of people will hate me for but here it goes.

I loved GOATs, it was my favourite meta. I love 2cp it’s my favourite game mode.

Why? Because it was the pinnacle of Overwatch, no OP heroes, just pure team synergy and the battles were long with constant back and forths. Quite frankly I don’t enjoy being dead in 2 seconds and spending 10 seconds respawning. The whole reason I stopped playing CS after a decade is because I hated how instant everything was.

I don’t want OW to be like that, the team aspect, the hero synergies the drawn out battles, I love them.

5 Likes

(Jk I like it too, except for the fact it lasted a year and a half I think)

Finally im not alone!

1 Like

Exactly… it used to be like that for everyone. Even dive, a meta about bum rushing the enemy, had a slower ttk than your average game does now.

Multiple barriers isnt even really the problem. Its certainly one of them. But overall tank design is poor imo.

Well, I’ve been looking at Tank design for about the past 9 months, and here’s the best I can come up with.
[✅] Abbreviated Tank Changes

• Nerf AnchorTank self-defenses at close range
  • Buff AnchorTank projectile speed (I.e. Useless at close range)
  • Buff AnchorTank barriers to Rein tier (I.e. Useless at close range)
  • Buff OffTank teammate protection (useful at close range)
  • Buff OffTank self sustain (useful at close range)
AnchorTank OtherTanks
Strength: Medium/Long Range Close Range
Weakness: Close Range Medium/Long Range
Firepower: Similar Similar

This is how you design tanks.

Well, I’ve also been contemplating how they could redesign Ult charge.

For instance, what if Ult charge was only gained passively or by kills, and either:

1. The Ult charge is shared from assists and kills and lenient on the assists.
    • I.e. Shooting through a barrier to get a kill would count as an assist
  2. Is shared to teammates within a range of the kill/killer.
  3. Is shared equally to all teammates regardless of range or respawning status.

End result is that “Ult Charge feeding” off of non-lethal damage, would go longer be a thing.

Which has some pretty huge implications for DoubleOffTank.