I feel a chat filter might help Overwatch

How might a chat filter work in overwatch?

• when you type something like a slur or any sort of message that only exists to harm others, it will not send and give you a warning which will say: “your message was not sent because you said {insert banned word}, this message has been sent to Blizzard/Team 4 for further review”

How will this fix anything?

• if a chat filter was added to the game, there will be less people saying toxic things in text chat. If there are less bad things said in text chat, and the bad things said are filtered out and sent to Blizzard will hopefully make suspensions and mutes happen more often as it is an automated report straight to Blizzard
2 Likes

This is dumb your a ***** take up ***** with ***** you ***** on a SANDWITCH

People will just find other ways to say what they want.

Look no farther than “gg ez”

That is “filtered”, but people instead just say “2ez” “ezpz” among other things.

I think all this would encourage is more “creative” ways to make the same insults.

3 Likes

It can be continuously updated. If someone finds a way to exploit the filter, Blizzard can add to the filter to fix the exploit

I’d much rather them work on the game as a whole, but that’s just me.

You’re not wrong, but I just don’t think it would solve anything in the long run. There are far more people wanting to be toxic than there are OW developers.

The chat filter will be different from how the gg ez filter works. Instead of a silly message, it’ll just not send and will send an automatic report. In some ways if you find a way to make less toxicity, it’ll make the game better in the long run as long as the filter is consistently updated

This is literally the chat filter from Rainbow Six Siege ported to Overwatch.

It’s heavily inspired by that yes

The conclusion of this is that chatting becomes very difficult to use. As an example, if people started sarcastically saying ‘nice’ anytime someone on the other team screws up just to troll them and ‘nice’ gets added to your growing filter I could no longer compliment my team by saying ‘nice’. A filter is not the solution. Users have the option to right click someones name and mute/squelch them at any time. If they do not want to use that then they should not complain about some verbal garbage being thrown their way.

Sarcastic uses of words arent gonna be added to the filter. It’ll just be words and phrases that exist to harm others no matter the context

As stated above the filter would be heavily inspired by the one used by Ubisoft in their R6 game. That filter has most if not all popular words used for toxic purposes but if someone decides to start saying “nice” they won’t add it to the filter. Adding a filter to the chat doesn’t solve any problems in my mind but it isn’t a slippery slope either.

Edit: the only things that could be solved with a filter are stuff like slurs used to offend certain groups of people and even this was abused in R6 so I’m not sure if it would truly work

There is already a chat filter in OW. If you see any “bad words” it’s because you manually went into your options and disabled the profanity filter. That’s your choice. It was enabled by default.

If it took into account you said it over team chat and not match wide chat, then it should not do that.

Yeah but that filter doesn’t result in any action towards the player who sent the message. The point here was to punish the ones using slurs in the game

The best way would customize your own list and it simply deletes the word. The list would have to be customized for every country since a bad word in one country could be a commonly used word in another.

I like the idea of it not sending and reporting them for me, less work on my end and i dont have to see the toxic stuff in the first place.

3 Likes

But the profanity filter does squat. My chat filter idea will send reports automatically to Blizzard for review

Internet forum software already has a similar thing enabled. You can update the list literally in, like, seconds, for people who try to get around it with misspellings, as well as make exceptions for words that might include the same sequence of characters so as not to stifle reasonable discourse. I’ve dealt with and managed these tools before. This is old technology. And I don’t see why it isn’t in yet.

4 Likes

If they added something like that, it would make the game like 10x better

Seriously. And again, it’s not that hard. It’s just an editable word database that checks any post to see if a word matches. Give me a crash course in C++ and I could probably get SOMETHING working.

1 Like