Hot take. You deserve your rank

Whenever I feel down after prioritizing my stats (per some folks on here), focusing on positioning, bettering my own individual gameplay, and still getting a streak of losses because support doesn’t have a big impact on match outcome, which causes me to de-rank or stay the same rank, I like to queue dps and boycott the system by playing the worst and most unfamiliar class (Widow).

If I bust my butt and still stay the same rank, why should these other idiots who do nothing as dps and get gold get the benefit of playing in my lobbies?

This is like saying “if you can’t afford a home in 2022, you’re just lazy and need to work harder.”

Is the sky blue in the world you live in?

Why does there need to be all this secrecy in this ranking system? Where people have to speculate and try to figure out why and how it operates? Turn off this magical MMR nonsense and have a straight rank. You win, you go up, you lose, you go down. This “mysterious” system only seems to give Blizzard a cop out of not actually trying to have to answer to why the match maker is the way it is.

2 Likes

You know what the funniest thing is? One of the reasons for keeping all of this a secret is cause it’s supposedly a secret formula and should be kept that way from competitors’ games.

Don’t worry Blizz. Nobody’s gonna steal this formula cause it doesn’t work AT ALL. Any game company with any sense would stay away from it so that they don’t lose player base.

2 Likes

Lmao. That’s for sure. They think they have some kind of next level AI for matchmaking that makes you win exactly 50% of your games even if you play 1000 games. Guess what… no one wants that. Not even the players.

Waste of money, and their secret formula is literally what makes this game a waste of time in the long run.

Whether people realize it or not, almost all of OWs problems stem from this horrible, Westworld matchmaker.

4 Likes

might for you as a casual player. In reality, it is all about stats. Everything. Litteraly EVERYTHING.

It is true, not for casual and “noobs”.

In reality, a 5vs5 is everything about stats. DPS. Known as Damage per second. The output of damage and incoming heal - decides on the End of the day the fight.

Nothing else.

It is not being you jumping like a chicken having 100 elims on the same person in the same situations. (Team is close to die, but someone is still able to kill 3 enemies before he dies.) It is cool, but mostly wasted.

yes true, but it seems like you don´t understand it?

that is the only thing, developers will take know´n as skill. evaluating how well a player did by checking/comparing stats say´s everything about the game.

ofc, if someone did a solo 1vs5 kill… but is that every game?

yes and no. Widowmaker has still a strong DPS output. What you compare here, are different styles of playstyle.

There are widows, hiding - waiting for the perfect shot (healer). In this situations, ofc less damage - might impact is hard to tell. It is the same with dps, we talked about before just a view lines above.

5vs5 - everyone alive.

Fight. Team vs Team. After 10 seconds, someone will be low, someone probably not. If your team now get drained consistently by more incoming damage by less heal. It is just a matter of time, the first hereo will die.

If the Widow - kills now a mercy, where the own team actually overextended their incoming/output allready, the enemie healer will may not matter in the current fight, when the next moments 3 of your team will fall.

Then you have widow, playing behind team on a position where hard to hit (range) but she actually shoot EVERYTHING what is in front, focus to click a head on healer.

So, who will win the fight now?

If you have 2 DPS, it can be absolutely normal those 2 have 30% different performance. ofc, can happen because one hasn´t that dps output. But in general, stats can be readen as a book, not always - but mostly.

But to say in general, stats do not matter is trashtalk.

If someone can´t read stats, most likely because of missing imagination and knowledge.

People just told me, in silver/gold i am crazy, because i compare my sojurn stats with a T200 player sojurn.

Actually, i am D4 now and the stats still went UP. So when will my stats drastically decrease? I am playing allready master lobbys.

Do you know what happen? They could not read the stats. If you can´t read a oneshot hereo, you can’t judge.

People told me, flicking is gold level a different story as in Diamond/Master. It is the same story.

A doorway, behind is someone. I slide with sojurn highspeed from one to other side and flick the person in the doorway.

i really dont know, why there should be a difference, ore that HUGE difference. Ofc Top 500 only games will drain every stats. probably. But that also was never the question. People just got triggerd.

you can stand in Front of active Vulkan. If you close your eyes, put your hand in your face you will still say: there is no Vulkan. i see no prove.

If 3 of the biggest content creator´s of OW pro says that for WEEKS, that the MM is rigged and everything. Ofc, it is not a prove and it is always hard when to listen to someone ore not.

But people also post their games, with screenshots and replays. They do. I do. I am meanwhile D4 soloque from B5 in dps. I am glad and happy i have this done, so i have my own experience, and i am not forced to listen to people like you at all. Because i have my side done - and i see what people say who WORK with/for it.

It feels like in general, the overall amount of trolls in this forum is insane. I had some questions as a gold player and mate… if i would believe them and not me, i would never reach D4 now.

I understand tough, what reason would have someone to post here his exp to gain a better game experience when the whole community get ignored by devs. i understand the frustration.

Still… Berry, Good bye.

1 Like

Ive had to accept that adapting play style to the current situation is the way.

Meaning, start with a Moira or Bap, deal damage, heal and support. But i see our DPS really drilling the team, so i swap to Mercy and keep damage boost on them. We win each team fight. Then they change to counter that player/hero, so i change again. Maybe not change hero but change strategy. We win again!

Thats a large part of it.

But, not every lobby is the same. The word “value” means individuals or the team are able to do their jobs within the scope and we move the objective. Adaptation is how most games are won. Most. Not all.

2 Likes

I struggle to understand how you could have been GM in Overwatch in a previous season, but are now LOWER than the Platinum/Diamond rank. This doesn’t happen to real GM players- no matter the time between seasons. Maybe masters, or high diamond for a SHORT period, but not lower. I would suggest that you may not have deserved GM beforehand if you’ve actually fallen that far.

As for you “predicting” your matches, you already know and have stated why your matches are aligning. For one split, it’s plausible you could “guess” what your wins/losses will be, but if you can consistently “predict” what they will be over multiple splits then that’s definitely more mental bias affecting your drive to win during the match.

I’ll be blunt. I think you may just be unwilling to accept that you either fell off hard, or don’t deserve the rank you were at and can’t take actions to improving yourself once again since you’re in the “I’m a better player than everyone in this lobby” mindset.

This is how good players play support. Watch any high-level support, you will see what I mean.

I’m not sure where you came up with the idea that I am a casual player? I’m making posts in the Competitive Discussion Forums. Even if I was a casual player, it wouldn’t disregard my argument- so I’m not sure why you needed to call me a “casual” and a “noob” other than to insult me personally.

You use the argument that stats affect the ranking system’s evaluation of your skill level, but this very different from having an actual affect on the match. Additionally, stats only affect the level of rating you gain in your matches in lower-ranked games.

This is a very odd and specific scenario. I’m not sure how this is presented as evidence to support your argument.

Good for you! Though your experience climbing on ladder doesn’t translate to an actual basis for your claims.
Sidenote: I would recommend proofreading your posts and having a more focused statement. I understand English may not be your first language and I’m not ripping on you for that, but clarity can go a long way. I think I missed what you were trying to say in a large portion of your post due to it being quite convoluted.

3 Likes

ok, so if you are a higher skilled person - either you are not gaming this season ore you have ohter sort of factors, i just can´t imagine myself.

It is rigged.

are we talking about stats - like i watch a mates profile, his stats over all on a hereo - and then compare could this be possible in this rank!?

or do you mean like, stats on the end of the game.

but did we not compared those things, just a topic ahead? you said in general, that a widow has meaningless way less damage in general. i try to say - it depends on widows playstyle and how strong might someone is.

what else, is it then?

to trust someone here in the forum with the highest privacy settings enabled?

i added and wrote 3 “masters” for a whole week to play vs me, after they added me i never heard anything again. But they were offensive, like you - deserve your silver rank meh and blah.

Stats do matter, for the own performance question. If you can read and understand a hereo, you can tell with stats only on a page if this mate is avg - decent - ore cracked.

Thats it.

Stats do not matter for win, in this case - because the game just randoms everything. If you randomise a comp game, what actually should be 100% balanced 5vs5 stats will matter again.

But if you have a plat game lobby and on your team a fresh zarya with 25hrs played with 0 game sense, stats will not matter. Only the win.

To unfold someone skill´s, he need space to play.

You basically just want to contradict everyone. I was GM EASILY on four accounts between season 1 and 10, a flex account and an account for 3 different roles. I came back on season 26 and went from plat to masters without a problem. NOW comes Overwatch 2 and I’m stucked. Some people even accused me of smurfing and I can literally give you screenshot proof because I sent it to my friend since it’s laughable.

Now you’re going to tell me : “A lot has changed between season 26 to 36! Maybe you fell off!!” Sure bud. Whatever you say as I lose games where I’m 40 and 5 while the other DPS with me is 18 and 22. But it’s true, stats don’t mean anything it’s completely normal to die 22 times and only have 18 kill participation while I have 40! Me, alone, should compensate even more than I already am.

When I talk about stats people say “It doesn’t matter the amount of damage you do”. Yes, I agree! You are so right. But being able to tell if my teammates are feeding and not participating in fights has a lot of value, no matter what you say. Let’s say I’m truly hardstuck because of my own play, then I’m expecting everyone to play at the same level most of the time and to have equally matched games, this is not what’s happening currently.

I was sceptical at first, so I decided to study Overwatch 2 on youtube and I’m already basically doing everything listed on any video that I find because I still have the game sense. Apparently these videos are suppose to get me to diamond/master, but they aren’t. I have the mechanical skill, so I would assume that all that would be left for me to learn is the game sense part, but all the videos taught me nothing.

2 Likes

It’s not a hot take it’s obvious lol.

There will be a bunch of whiners on this thread but if I make a new account, I climb to low plat and i’m stuck there… Because that’s my skill level and my all time plateau.

It’s not a coincidence I always get stuck there lol.

1 Like

The funny thing is, in OW1 people constantly complained about performing better than their team mates but being stuck…

Now OW2 is more about individual stats and people are still complinaing about it haha… Whut?

1 Like

im not hard stuck but I think ranked is borked

I won 7 of all my placement matches back to back with impressive stats and ended up gold 3

and of course the next match I went 45 kills with 0 deaths

ranked working as intended /s

atleast it didn’t take long until I went up to platinium

I have 300+ ranked games played this season. It’s not rigged.

I’m saying that you shouldn’t be solely looking at stats to see how well someone is playing since they can be manipulated to be higher or better, but that player isn’t necessarily playing better - so many people are complaining that their stats are good but they cannot rank up.

I would agree. I’m saying that even good widows aren’t always going to have high damage numbers since it’s the initial “200dmg pick” that wins team-fights, not the constant damage output.

Evidence, examples, clear reasoning. I mean to say that personal achievements aren’t any of these things.

To an extent, maybe, but stats can easily be manipulated ie: dps focusing on shooting the orisa or supports healbotting. Context for statistics, team composition, skill-level, how much pressure is being applied to the player- all these things matter.

No, I’m just not here to regurgitate echo-chamber sentiment to people in their responsibility-shifting bubbles. If people disagree and we can have a meaningful discussion, that means both parties get closer to the reality of the situation.

I may have misspoke earlier. What I mean to say is either you never deserved GM, which I think is unlikely if you played a great degree each season and were GM for 10 seasons, or you actually did lose much of your game-sense and game-knowledge that go you there- since that’s what actually allows your to climb the ranks.

Stats can be one indication of how well someone is playing (obviously since a dps with 0 damage, a support with 0 healing, or a tank with 50 deaths is quite clearly out of their league or throwing), but it is not necessarily representative of if a player deserves to climb in a rank or not. I’ll use the example again of DPS only shooting an orisa, Supports healbotting and not dealing damage or playing aggressive, or Tanks who never press W and hide the entire game thus preservering their KD.

I agree. It’s an indication of if a player on your team is having an effect. What I’m saying is that if you intend to improve and climb in the ranks, looking at damage or healing stats is pointless since not only does the context of these numbers matter, but the whole of the rest of the “player-skill spectrum” is being ignored. So when people question how their not climbing because they’re hitting “x number of damage or y number of healing” every game, you’re not receiving even close the full picture- they’re focusing on the wrong things.

Yeah, videos on how to climb tend to be pretty useless unless you’re an extremely new player. VOD reviewing yourself to find and correct mistakes is far more effective.

That’s not a bug. They introduced a soft rank reset to everyone which caused most people to place 500sr-1000sr below where they ended in OW1. Your MMR should still be the same though.

2 Likes

Hot take:

I should not be in the same match as someone who is upper Gold rank with someone who is UNRANKED. Ridiculous that I even have to say that.

Some new players are genuinely Gold level. A lot of new players have watched Overwatch before, some maybe quite familiar with how the game works. So it’s not unreasonable to suggest that a new player might end up in a Gold lobby.

Gold is average/below average. The game may have just saw that you performed well against other new players and decided to put you in that match without accounting for game-knowledge.

New edit because I can’t make consecutive posts:

Simply because there were a large amount of posts complaining about the topic doesn’t mean that this issue affected a large portion of players. This should be obvious and I really shouldn’t need to explain this to you but I suppose I will. If a bug causes 5% of the playerbase to get banned on entering the game, of course you are going to see a TON of posts about it on the forums. It’s a large issue and people will be vocal with such a game-breaking bug. But, again, in this oddly reminiscent hypothetical scenario, this would only be affecting a small amount of the playerbase. - Not that 5% of the active players is a small amount, but it still doesn’t change what my OP was about and who it was directed towards.

I speculated that many of you probably hadn’t before @ing me about it with a snarky phrase because none of you had quoted the patch notes or seemed to even know what the patch notes had actually said when you decided to create a new post directed at me.

Again, if you would read the message you are responding to, I already spoke to this:

Bewilderingly, and I don’t know how you could have done this again, you still haven’t quoted any of the patch notes to support your claims, which is literally what the post I made which you are responding to was intended to address.

First competitive match after the required 50 unranked… The whole opposing team was gold rank. Why on earth is this game matching unranked or rank 1 players with the top ranked players in match making?

If there are not enough players in the upper ranks to make a game then make players wait. Don’t just match up gold rank players with new players because you feel bad if people have to wait for a match.

Impressive stats relative to…. Who exactly?

And what if that player is a high ranked Apex or Valorant player and they’re just not experienced at Overwatch yet?

They could technically perform better than you but simply be inconsistent.

1 Like

Then they should climb the ranks because they’re playing an entirely new game. What type of entitlement is that lmfao? If they’re good they should rise through the ranks quickly.

1 Like

You’re literally talking gold 3?

An unranked player playing in gold is hardly impressive….

Average players starting in average rank and ranking/deranking based on performance?

It’s not really that wild.

2 Likes

You’re either not aware of the MMR issues, especially as a support, or you’re just being purposefully ignorant.

Either way, I’ll reiterate what’s been said in this thread already: the current MMR structure isn’t working, and is placing individuals into groups that don’t synonymously match their gameplay performance.