High end PC - Game doesn't feel smooth?

there’s a known issue with rtx… I have the exact same build (32gb ram) and I have some issues as well…

Does the monitor have Gsync/Freesync, and is it enabled?

If not, your refresh rate has to be a x0.5, x1, x1.5, or x2 multiple of your framerate
(so on your 240hz monitor your fps options are 240, 160, or 120.)

I’m not exactly sure why, it has something to do with the way screens refresh itself. It can cause some strange phenomena were 72fps can actually feel smoother than 100fps on a 144hz monitor.

As in doesn’t feel like 240hz.

I am experiencing the same issues since the last 2 “micro patches” and the last major update from Mid December. I even made a MAJOR post on it. The game does NOT feel smooth at all. Playing widowmaker right now is just a total pain. Most of my shots are missing now, and I am getting alot of “non registration” shots happening.

I am just going to casually play now, until they fix it. (750 hours on WM) :wink:

I have G-Sync enabled.

Disable HPET.

It just occurred to me that Gsync doesn’t actually do anything if your framerate is over your refresh rate. (It tries to keep your monitor in time with the frames after all, and it can’t go over its limit.)

This^ should pretty much be your first step… if you’re troubleshooting other aspects and haven’t first checked if this “choppy” play you mention is happening in other games then you could potentially be wasting a lot of time.

Just overwatch. Just changed graphics to epic for the hell of it and it runs extremely smooth. I don’t get it ahah

Are you familiar with the ctrl+shift+N console in game? It shows your input lag… check and see how much that value changes between low/high end graphics settings… if the difference is negligible than it’s probably worth just leaving the settings on high, especially if you’re still getting consistent frames

Low - I get 3.3ms
High - I get big spikes. 5-15ms
Ultra/Epic - 3-6ms~

Did your fps drop to or below 240 by any chance? Because that would be Gysnc kicking on.

Yes, but even when I limit it to below 240 it still didn’t feel right on the lowest settings.

Is overwatch the only game youre getting this problem?

I think your pc is sooo good none of us can relate:(

After this last patch I had to stop overclocking my gpu (980ti) the game would just keep crashing.
I have my cpu (i7 5820K) overclocked though and I can run 300fps steady.

I have to make sure Dynamic reflections are off
Local fog detail low
render scale 75
Here is an old article that has some good info and detailed explanations on settings. Logical Increments

This will break parts of Windows

Media software will usually use the HPET for various things; software that isn’t designed to handle the fault will cause a memory leak waiting for the register to update but it never does

Maybe on a rig that is strictly games only but be aware, disabling HPET WILL cause issues with the OS

2 Likes

Except the GPU.

Try posting this over in the tech support forums as you may get some really good help there as there are some pretty tech savvy people who are there that help a lot of people out with many issues.

Idk why anyone would buy an i9 but ok. It’s probably just lag. If I had to guess I’d say it’s the rtx seeing how new it is.