Hanzo needs changes...but what changes?

remove his E ability

1 Like

That’d reduce him from 100 DPS, already quite low for a generalist mid-range DPS, let alone a projectile-based one, to 86 DPS.

That’s… lower than Mei and about equal with Lucio or Ana if you exclude their Soundwave and Bionade, respectively. Otherwise, they’d be higher DPS than Hanzo outside of Storm Arrows, leaving Brig and Moira as the only heroes with lower DPS than Hanzo, and only if you exclude Damage Orb, Shield Bash, and Flail.

What part of that is unique, though, e.g greater than felt in fighting against a Mercy-Ashe or Widowmaker?

If it’s the “luck” component that annoys you, too, I have to wonder, why are we treating Hanzo as if he were more powerful for missing some 80% of his shots and only getting the occasional lucky kill on the remaining fifth or so?

1 Like

This is my feeling as well. I’d almost rather rescale his movement penalty (i.e. make it increase from 0% to its cap over %charge progress), increase the damage/speed floor to make earlier shots viable, and replace Storm Arrows with a pseudo-Sprint than be a charge-based projectile DPS most of the time and an instant-fire projectile DPS the remainder.

I know what the overwatch team should do as a joke. New experimental card will have storm arrows changed back to scatter so then everyone can feel the og hanzo power. Just to show everyone how he changed. THIS IS A JOKE BLIZZARD DO NOT BRING BACK THE HELL WE KNOW AS SCATTER ARROW

You should bookmark it ;p

Also, through experimental with workshop, someone has found out that the hit box of his arrow is a sphere at the tail of the arrow, not the head.

2 Likes

To not throw random arrows who do a headshot.

I made it to low masters with Hanzo before he got nerfed, I was really improving at the game and then blizzard nerfed the projectile speed and his storm arrows. I was extremely frustrated because I then dropped to low plat almost reaching gold, I even got depressed a bit. Im a sore loser though and I hate to lose, I got back on and I started getting used to the new projectile speed. I started learning even better positioning and I started to predict and I started to pick up on player behaviors and suddenly I started winning. After a full month of hard work and dedication to relearn Hanzo I have climbed back up to masters and even have even surpassed what I thought was my limit then.

Moral of the story is, I was spoiled at how broken really was back then. Hanzo is supposed to be a high skill character but his insane projectile speed and arrow spam damage was hurting my ability to improve at the game because I would get lazy and get rewarded for treating a projectile hero like a hitscan. Now im in the point where I can now play torb, zen, pharah, mei and land crits back to back. Hanzo is in the most perfect spot He could possibly be in, I win 99% of my 1v1 vs other Hanzo players and anyone cocky enough to not respect me. Hanzo is perfect and hes finally exactly where he should be, anyone that complains about hanzo at this point needs to get better at the game. If I was able to climb out of low plat on my own because I decided to actually improve and learn from my mistakes then anyone can do it too.

Just recently I even made grandmaster and top 500 on the open que mode and everyone was flaming me for mot going goats and I stuck to Hanzo and impressed a ton of people. Hanzo does not need any changes, hes fine where he is and he’s most definitely a much harder character to play compared to before but he’s extremely rewarding for anyone with the dedication to master the hero.

I mean… nice job, but individual players being good at a hero does not make that hero good. Hanzo’s winrate shouldn’t be as low as it is, no team should be subject to having their chances of winning decreased so much because heroes like Torb and Ashe are considerably more effective at baseline than Hanzo. If you were the only Hanzo player in the world it wouldn’t be an issue.

This is like me saying Baptiste is fine because ML7 was playing Baptiste on my team and he was amazing. You could justify not balancing any and every hero with your implied logic… plenty of players climb to GM on Mercy so why are we buffing her?

Projectile characters need to stay projectile characters, if anything give him 70 damage on Storm Arrows and normalize their projectile speed as well.

ht tps://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/infamous067-1730

brool story tro

1 Like

Whereas the accepted forum idea is that the entire arrow is one giant hitbox. The number of stupid, unproven claims that I’ve seen as widely accepted on the forums is just depressing

As fun as that would be you dont want that trust me

I wonder if they’d ever be able to string multiple together while allowing the damage of only one to take effect, so that we would have fewer no-regs.

Granted, those no-regs are already few, but it’s always odd seeing an enemy take no damage… with your arrow still sticking out of them due to client-side prediction.

i always thought that giving him 20/25 ammo instead of infinite would be a good change

If a Hanzo spams a choke and you run into ut and get headshot and die, is it really Hanzos Fault?

Also what do people consider spam? More than 3 Arrows per x seconds in the same direction? More than 3 arrows that miss?

You know perfect prediction is hard. Its also oftentimes hard to see the enemy behind your Tank line or if your tanks are too close to the enemy.

…Why? And how exactly is he going to even perform a reload?

Does he…
…take an arrow out of his other quiver (which visually only holds 4-5 arrows)…
…and put it in his first quiver?

1 he has too little weaknesses
2 i was thinking of something similar to how reaper reload works like he throws his old quiver and replaces it with another one
also 20/25 shots is still a lot if you compare him with other dps snipers

It has little to do with rate of fire and almost everything to do with aim procedures.

If your aim is based on fractional re-aim, such as adjusting between rapid-fire Storm Arrow shots, rather than aiming each shot discretely or having to deal with the full tracking that comes with even more rapid attack intervals, that, when taking up the majority of your shots for a period of time, can be called spam.

If your aim is based on zone-based probability, such as in hopes that someone will peak around the corner just as your arrow passes, that, when taking up the majority of shots for a period of time, can be called spam.

Tracer does not spam. Tracer tracks.

Torb? Depends. Is he left-clicking down lanes or is he focusing down an enemy with Overload? Despite the second having a higher rate of fire, it’s much less likely to feel like spam.

stannis_it’s_fewer.jpg

Hanzo has more weaknesses than nearly every other generalist DPS save perhaps McCree, who in turn has greater strengths against a broad set of would-be weaknesses.

And adding an arbitrary “whoops, guess I wore out my quiver; better pull this new one out from ‘twixt me’ legs” delay on the already isn’t going to deepen any of those weaknesses nor add new ones. It just makes a really, really weird and frustrating mechanic.