Groups and Matchmaking in Overwatch

I only solo que, but when I solo que. Why are you grouping me with low tier people in their 3100s? I am over 3700s and if I lose a game like that. I lose a whooping 27 SR and I need two wins in a row to make that up. The next two wins are always 24 or 25 on average if placed in a fair match.

That’s another thing, when the search says unfair match. Don’t instantly que me into a match. I don’t want to play an unfair match because it I lose it, I lose 27 Sr.

Normal matches are so much fairer. I gain more SR and lose Less SR.

Appreciate the response, are you happy with her current state?

Why do I lose more than I gain when the average SR of both teams is the same but lower than my SR? Me being higher doesn’t make the game any easier if the teams are balanced. It’s uncommon to get games above 3500 SR in small regions like OCE (Aus/NZ) so when you are high masters or above you can have a positive winrate and still end up losing SR over time. Seems really broken tbh.

1 Like

Let’s propose there are two people with the same amount of SR. One of them is level 250, the other one has a golden portrait. They play a 1v1, both as tracer. Who would win?
I bet the one with the golden portrait will. Just because he’s got waaay more experience in the game, not because he’s better in it.

In case you missed my post just below the OP, here are the current standing reasons (albeit nearly two years old) why SR loss and gains are not accounted for when there is a leaver.

This is basic elo working as it should right here. If your skill rating is higher, then you should provide a tactical edge to your team, but if you fail, then the system is not very certain you belong at that high of a level and will reduce appropriately to better balance you.

I tried playing my best DPS mains in the recent Competitive Deathmatch season, and I still landed in the same skill rating range (and this had a completely fresh MMR from regular Competitive). Experience truly has little benefit in comparison
good game sense and mechanical skill.

1 Like

Which bugs? Any of these A list of Sombra's Many, Many Bugs (6), Now with more LOS Bugs! - #80 by Xaron-1831

I quote Fitzy (worlds best Sombra main?):

The PTR fixed Sombras buggs? Hahaha. No. No, no, no.

2 Likes

Since grouping will make the game so much more enjoyable will you be lessening the restrictions of who can group together? Sure my buddy may be 1200 SR above me but that can’t matter too much before Masters.

Plus, don’t forget, you can treat it like leavers. “Murrrrrr, there’s a 50/50 chance there’ll be someone with low SR on the enemy team and not yours”

I highly doubt they will widen the spread allowed. There already is enough cries for reducing it (see my post just below the original post for details).

Exactly. These Sombra bug fixes are laughable. I’m getting the impression that they don’t actually know how to fix her LoS bugs, otherwise it would’ve been fixed by now.

1 Like

Can we please keep the hero balance/bug discussion in a separate topic? The original post has nothing to do with the hero balance or technical functionality of any specific hero, now while Scott Mercer did take a quick moment to address that there were bug fixes for Sombra on the way. I suggest discussing them in the PTR Feedback forum appropriately and not derail this topic.

2 Likes

yeah, I’ve noticed this phenomenon even above the performance SR cutoff. If its intentional you think they’d mention it?

Define “some” Sombra bugs. Is it the important stuff like Hack breaking without losing line of sight and Hack randomly switching targets or is it just cosmetic stuff?

Awesome post. Maybe I’ll try 6 stacking for that slight advantage. Anyway, can you give us any ETA on when 1.25 will go live? Thanks! :slight_smile:

If the trend continues I asume that said bugs are not the crippeling line of sight bugs but the ones they introduced for in with the PTR itself. You know: the cooldown bug and the hacking healthpack to so it becomes red bug.

There has been no official word past this last dev comment (click here). I am personally hopeful for a launch by next Tuesday.

First, this is excellent information regarding groups. One of my concerns was that I’d play against groups that were just monumentally better than mine - and that often felt the case. Good to know there are hard statistics that prove otherwise. :slight_smile:

Second,

I understand that balance and bug fixes are not your area of expertise. Is there any way that someone who does take care of those things can confirm what will be happening with Sombra? Because she is in such an awful state that a few bug fixes don’t seem like something to celebrate… :confused:

Third, would there be a possibility of seeing a history of your matches and match-ups?

With all due respect Mr. Scott,
2 of the bug fixes on Patch 1.25 were caused by the same patch when symmetra rework hit PTR.
Only one bug was fixed that was effected on the live version.

I would highly suggest that Avoided Players never be able to group up with Avoidee.

If you don’t implement this, they’ll eventually find out when they try to queue??

I don’t think the Looking for Group system allows a player to see a group listing if there is a Avoid this Teammate conflict. Though I have never tested it.