Give us a less masculine male hero. Please. (Also the meka squad 🤖 )

I think Ana’s backstory never mentions it, and rather focuses on her being an integral part of Overwatch as well as Pharah’s mother. That’s a good question, too.

Although I am a Navy brat and because of how my dad approached his military status and parenting skills, I developed a bit of a rebellious nature and am the farthest thing from my dad or militaristic anything. So who knows. Pharah is the opposite; she idolized her mom and wanted to be in OW because of it.

Somehow I misread this as “Give us a more masculine man”, started reading the post and was like
“what ಠ_ಠ”
regardless
Personally I love the overly masculine heroes like Rein and Torb, and would love to have more of them (Marcus and Cole from the Gears of War series were some of my all-time favourite game characters), but a smol male character could probably be interesting
Problem is, how much thinner than Lucio could they make it without it seeming stupid

should start a petition to turn D.va into a bodybuilder

Ok now you’re asking for arguing. You are trying to break the definition of the terms masculine or feminine. (Maybe they should be broken). But how can we even discuss if nothing is allowed to be considered masculine or feminine. Strictly speaking physical strength IS a masculine thing. No one is saying women can’t be strong, just that it is a masculine trait. He was not calling women weak.
Side note: statistically speaking, the fact is, men ARE physically stronger. Maybe we all wish everyone was the same but it just isn’t the case, you can’t simply break the definition/facts to get what you want. If a woman wants to overcome the norm and make herself stronger than, great! But that still isn’t the statistical truth about general men and women, plus, I’m afraid that she WOULD be considered masculine at that point.
No hard feelings, just facts.

As much as I think that we do need more “pretty bois” in this game, I think an evil(ish) omnic is in a higher priority.

(Also, putting people in boxes of masculine and feminine is not a good idea. We all have a bit of masculine and a bit of feminine.)

4 Likes

Generally true but let’s be honest it’s been done already in this game. In a way that’s the exact point of this thread.

Or people can just call it that like they do in daily life instead of having to waste a ton of time trying to explain how they want the character to look. If someone is so sensitive that they get offended by something that minor, they’re the problem.

I agree but, define what you mean by bigot? Soldiers has typically meant men for many Millenium so it is probably fair to say soldier is masculine. Not ALL soldier qualities are masculine. A female soldier usually has to take on some masculine qualities to be a soldier. But for that matter any male soldier needs to take on some feminine qualities too.

Trust me, that other dude is just trying to stir people up.

Also we’ve been moved!

Yay?

The point isnt about preexisting characters. It’s that anytime someone asks for male characters who are more feminine people act like thats an evil request that should never happen.

I think the “Nerd” or “Geek” Archetype would fit the Criteria without being offensive.

Nerd Archetype
The guy who gets no credit though his genius is what helps carry the day. No appearance of physical strength, lanky in appearance (Like Moira) He’s the “Q” to the James Bond field agent that is all the heroes in current roster. Guiding them to victory with battlefield data that, if missing, the field agents would be lost.

Geek Archetype
Not a stereotypical depiction. Just a guy who still loves Overwatch despite their tarnished reputation and disbandment. Spends most of their time creating devices to replicate the tools used by the heroes he grew up with. As he spends most of his time tinkering indoors he isn’t the picture of Masculinity. Kinda like a male version of Tracer in appearance (short and thin with no, “cut,” appearance) while also being a bit pale as he gets minimal sunlight. But his passion for Overwatch, weapon systems and Sci-fi media make up for his lack of strength.

You people see this? ^

I like this.

Here go: :blue_heart:

Thank you!

I would like to see the Archetypes listed in the roster as they are the strong depiction that, “Heroes can come from anywhere.”

Yeah I just don’t like the word “effeminate” because most often when describing a guy people really mean “gay”. Which isn’t a problem at all mind you, just that I guarantee people think you’re asking for a sexuality instead of a personality (again because English is dumb).

And as a not particularly masculine guy who isn’t gay, I would welcome that personality to the mix.

Curious …would Griffith from Berserk work in Overwatch as this hero type?

He is a white haired pretty boy (Like Sephiroth) , though his attitude doesn’t quite line up.

Max for next hero
Evil-ish omnic, kinda more on the feminine side compared to others. Perfect fit for this topic

Well I mean…that’s how it is stereotypically.

Now what happens if you had a game that always played to those conventions? :thinking:

I think it can be summed up that OP wants a hero with a personality like Steven Universe, and his subversive masculinity.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

They are meant to be serving in a battlefield, they have to be tough in some way or another.

I also wouldn’t say that the likes of Junkrat and Lucio represent the alpha male lol…

EDIT: Mei is more masculine than Doomfist, have you seen the way she pelts frozen ice into the innocent victims???

1 Like

Well Junk is a wiry , underdog, loser type kind of comic relief character.

And yet somehow he’s still cool in addition to being funny.

It’s funny how the common public perception is that strong == masculine, skinny == effeminate, but chubby == anybody. It’s like fat is somehow the great equalizer between the sexes. :joy:

Honestly though, I don’t think body types really define how manly or feminine a person is, just sayin’. :man_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

So what you’re asking for is Genjis, Zennys, Lucios, and Junkrats?

Tho tbf, it’s obvious that the beginning of Overwatch’s concept began with them as super heroes. Which explains the extreme testosterone/estrogen doping the original Heroes went through. Then halfway through their development they probably strayed towards different concepts that weren’t inspired by comic books.