Get rid of Overbuff?

If more people thought this way, the world would be a better place. They would rather delete anything that challenges or disproves their ideas, and only seek data that agrees with them.

2 Likes

The only thing you referred to in this thread was a statement Jeff made about the perception of balance, which was not a statement about Overbuff but about players complaints about Mercy. Every single statement he has made where he glimpsed a stat was backed by Overbuff. He said Mercy wasn’t statistically a issue and that was the truth, and a fact constantly stated by Mercy mains at the time to try to tell people to stop the hysteria about mass rez. He also said Symmetra’s and Torbjorn’s winrate were too good, and at the time on Overbuff, it stated that Symmetra and Torbjorn had the highest winrate in the game.

Edit

You can’t find it because it didn’t happen. The second Jeff proved it wildly unreliable, it would blow up the forums. But it has not happened.

3 Likes

Im not arguing the numbers aren’t real…the people behind overbuff aren’t on there trying to falsify the info they receive…

I’m saying they don’t really have much value…especially not with the way people use them…what it does provide is poor information

Hero X is picked a bunch and wins about as much as everyone else does on average…

So what? How does that help me…or you? If I suck on said hero it doesn’t matter how well everyone else is doing…and the opposite is true for the reverse…

It’s data that in the grand scheme of things doesn’t mean much to you as a player…

Yet we will then take that ANYWAY and make claims that so and so should be changed…check out these numbers they prove w/e…

What we (the community as a whole) DO with that page is silly…which is ultimately why I think we’d be bettter off without it

I think many people would get way more enjoyment out of the game if they stopped paying attention to the bajillion different interpretations we all give about what works and doesn’t work in the game based on what OB “tells” us

Is Symmetra still support?

User error. Remember that people are also pretty stupid at times. I personally find it useful to calibrate what I see ingame and on streams, and to track changes over time.

This is coming from someone who has relatively low faith in the accuracy of their stats due to the recent speed of patch changes affecting the validity of longer sampling windows.

3 Likes

Do you think that a lazy UI somehow negates the accuracy of the data collected?

2 Likes

I suggest it’s not accurate as it was never updated.

Yeah, you have argued that too.

It helps to understand balance. That some people aren’t great at interpretation doesn’t mean it makes sense to switch to an even worse system

3 Likes

This would mean you would have to trust developers to do correctly with balance and actually trust them, and with Blizzard’s long history of bad balance and always wanting to crush the “meta”, that will never be true, and plus, it’s not that hard to look at top 500 to see what the meta is, so there isn’t a point in removing Overbuff anyway unless Blizzard actually provides statistics for heroes, which will next to never happen.

While Overbuff is not a 100% accurate, it is the best data collection website for Overwatch there is until Blizzard gives us actual statistics of all the heroes.

The user interface is not data collection. They don’t have to continously make the website prettier for an automated data collection process to remain accurate.

2 Likes

“Hey guys check out this super accurate stat sight.”

(Sees Symmetra is still support)

“Hey this checks out. Super accurate data.”

Symmetra being a support is not stat collection.

2 Likes

It’s an issue the accuracy of the website.
I don’t know how not correcting simply “lazy” mistakes makes things more accurate and trustworthy.

It is only an accuracy issue if you don’t understand how their website works.

2 Likes

What the numbers prove? Absolutely…especially because of how it’s collected

That they’re actually showing what they are collecting (the “real” I was referring to)? No I have no reason to believe that…

So now that we got accuracy into focal point.

Lets talk about all that missing private profile data.

Every single time the devs have issued a piece of data, Overbuff has been reasonably close to that data. Everytime a meta has developed from top players, it has reflected in the Overbuff data.

The Overbuff data has a massive sample size and is reasonably close. And there is zero evidence to believe otherwise, but a lot of evidence to believe it’s reasonably close.

2 Likes

And it’s crap…its what we have and it’s crap…just cause it’s all you have doesn’t mean you should use It anyway

An opt-in random sample is unaffected by private profioes.

2 Likes

so we can only conclude that top players don’t private their profiles?