Geoff appreciation thread

Damn that sounds scary and cool at the same time.

1 Like

How do we deal with Brigitte, and thus Goats? A PERFECT balance change suggestion for Geoff!

• We need to recognize that that rectangular shield right-click is Brigitte’s strongest asset. She’s already stronger and more durable at close range than most supports, but that shield enables her to survive far longer against mid and long range damage, more so than any other 250 HP or less hero. It’s a bit too good and has little counter-play. However we can fix that.

• Similar to D’Va’s defense matrix weakness, in which it is disabled for 1-2 seconds after use, we can implement something mechanically similar for Brig, while still maintaining her core fantasy of a shielded paladin (meaning she still gets to use the shield and be a badass with it).

New right-click Shield Ability: Shield Defense Activate

• Use: Brigitte holds her shield for up to 2.5 seconds (can be cancelled early), it blocks ALL incoming damage onto the shield, no limit to how much.

• Cooldown: 4 seconds

Also, for Brigitte’s shield bash stun, it can simply be shifted from her shield, to her Whip Shot ability, so that instead of knocking targets away it stuns them (or even both), if such a adjustment then is needed. Or, shield bash can be reverted to 50dmg.

So Brig’s new shield works exactly like her shield now, except with no shield hp depletion, it just absolutely negates damage like D’va’s shield matrix. However, it is no longer a toggle ability that’s spammable, instead it’s a powerful defensive ability that players must know when to use correctly.

And that fixes Brigitte!

Problem solved. Brig still has the core mechanic/fantasy of using her shield to protect herself in tough situations, but she no longer has the SUSTAIN that her current shield toggle gives her. This opens up counter play against Brigitte, as when her shield is down hit scan and projectiles then are guaranteed damage.

If the devs like this idea, feel free to use it in game and fix away Goats for us!

P.S. Inspired by the meta discussion surrounding Brig and Goats from YourOverwatch’s video: Overwatch: Blizzard Says Brigitte is Overpowered - NEW Meta Discussion - YouTube

1 Like

But then why did you make even worse mistakes? After 2016, the balance just went downhill.

You gave Bastion 35% IC the gutted him because IC didn’t work propperly.

You gave Junk a second mine, and nerfed his primary fire so it was made even more inconsistent, all while his ult charge was the only problem.

With the Pharah rebalance, you took away her 1 ability to combat hitscans, and that was the ability to knock them around and mess up their shot. She’s not worth picking now.

I hope you come to your senses and fix these critical issues, because you’ve gone from fixing the game to causing more unintentional problems.

Meanwhile Bastion has been sitting out on the sidelines for 2 years, with minimal recognition from the team.

That’s what irks me. It feels some heros are deliberately pushed to the side while others get overtuned too much, like Zarya or Ana.

a step in the right direction. However the pro level goats reign may be far from over…

Bastion is such a polarizing character though. The way he’s designed, he’s either amazing or utter garbage depending on the situation. Not much in the middle tbh.

Unless he’s reworked into a tank. He could have much more potential than a damage character plus his size will now work with him shifting Categories. The problem is that team coordination with him has been him always sitting in one spot which has been failing him because of how the game has evolved.

What were you going to say? Seriously I would love to hear more opinions on this.

Please give Mercy a dispel/cleanse ability. It suits her archetype so well.

Let Artillery be Artillery (close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.) Allow Pharah and Junk rockets/bombs to deliver the same amount of damage whether it be a direct hit or splash damage.

Example: If Pharah lands a direct shot on you, she deals 60 damage. If Pharah lands a rocket 2 meters away, she deals 60 damage.

You can give a little bonus/penalty for accuracy (70 damage for a direct hit, 50 for the outer ring of the rocket explosion radius.)

but the idea behind a missile, is that you don’t have to hit the target directly :slight_smile:

Thanks for listening.

2 Likes

What about all the missed grenade collisions on junkrat due to server interpolation after his primary radius was reduced from .3 to .2?

That completely breaks one of his most IMPORTANT traits of his skilled bank shot attacks… Why would you even HAVE to test that to not see the problem???

Just curious: have you ever tried to make Zen be able to fly? I mean, he is levitating above the ground and his kit looks and feels pale when compared to other supports, especially the newest ones.

Welp yeah I actually like this but this does not fix the #1 Problem that she needs to be a full healer. But if she was GOATS would never die in this current 3/3 Situation…

Then when you look at Mercy and remember that she is just played with Pharah and Widow in Pro League and a lot of Ranked Matches…

Maybe Mercy should get a Rework too so she fits for more Heroes as well not just a few!
What if we took her Damage Boost Ability off her and gave her an actual way to do damage herself?

While you might not like the idea of taking Mercys damage boost off her I also don’t like that every hero has damage boost now and stun, are there not more options? Imagine what if she had some other ability instead of damage boost that actually makes her more engaging to play?

I’m a full support main in Ranked and QP, I play support like 90% of the time I’ve payed the game.
And it took me 80hours to see the fun in playing Mercy and I still wish she was feeling more engaging to play.

1 Like

I’m very happy of the PTR changes, because now DPS are going to have a more important place in the meta and in the comps.
Seems also like the game gets a little bit more fast paced.
Anyway i’ve got some questions:

1. Why don’t make blueprints of structures (like Ice Wall, Torb’s turret, Sym’s teleporter) visibile to teammates? This would improve teamplay and makes coordination easier.
  2. Is there any plan to change the Mei’s cryofreeze to make it more consistent and preventing to experience the “favor the shooter” (hearing and seeing for a fraction the ice block, but getting stunned/killed/hacked/hooked)?
  3. Will projectile ultimates (Mei’s Blizzard, Nanoboost, Pulse bomb, Dragonstrike, Minefield) be made more consistent, to prevent them to disappear if you get killed or stunned?
  4. More crosshairs? Possibility to make the crosshair of whatever color you want with RGB scheme? I miss the possibility of customizing the crosshair like in UT 2004
  5. Better support for more aspect ratios (21:9, 4:3, 5:4)? Because playing with black bars it’s quite annoying for players who has high end monitors or still use old 19 or 22" workstation CRTs
  6. Will we ever have the possibility to set the FoV higher? Some games (majorly Quake) gives players the freedom to change FoV to values higher than 103
1 Like

#5 the game will never support 21:9 because it gives an unfair advantage for people who have a 16:9 screen.

Chain Hook is a utility ability. Since it’s a stun, it can cancel several ultimates, which is pretty huge. And, simply repositioning an enemy into your team is a pretty good way to make them die.

His ultimate has colossal knockback too, which can also be used to provide significant utility to your team. (Like any knockback ability, it can be used in ways that are detrimental to your team as well.)
For example, it can be used pretty effectively as a counter to Nano-Blade. You could also use it to zone enemies out of a safe area when a friendly DVa Bomb or High Noon is happening. Getting kills with Whole Hog directly can be tricky, but the same is true of all utility ults.

Hell, even his TaB ability can be used to provide utility to the team. He can bodyblock a vulnerable friendly squishy with it, for example, or bait and survive a grav.

I’m not disagreeing with your general point that Roadhog could be a little stronger. But to say that he has no utility is a little extreme.

Ahh yes poetic lines like, “its in the refrigerator.”

But of course. Only he could say something as buttery soft as that.

2 Likes

if teleport was just available for anyone else than symmetra after 1 second or if it had a 0.5 sec. cd on each teleport (or whatever turns out to be balanced) this would avoid an “instant-team-port”.

by this of course teleport was somewhat more of a thing for symmetra primarily but since ppl deny using it in so many cases i can live with that after all :smiley:

another alternative for deployment speed would be the duration its up so you can set it in calm and use it more often. it might be still up to escape the fight ?! just a thought though

The reason for the slower teleport build speed makes total sense for the team play aspect of the game, I haven’t thought of it that way.

If you’re still taking ideas on what do do in relation to that however, might I suggest some sort of “transit time” that characters undergo when taking the teleporter to compensate? Tracer exhibits sort of what I’m talking about in the sense that she doesn’t immediately pop out of Recall, but there’s a brief period of time she spends unable to be seen/hit as she goes back. This window of time gives the player time to get their bearings in relation to where she’ll wind up, but also gives enemies who’ve paid attention time to position themselves where she’ll end up. In similar fashion, if Symmetra’s teleporter could be deployed instantly but the act of teleporting itself is NOT instant, that could be a useful way to balance it.

It was an issue AFTER he got his two mines.