Game Freezing and Crashing After Latest Patch (Compendium) First week of May 2018

-50 thanks a lot game keeps going downhill

1 Like

Please try the troubleshooting tips listed here. I heavily advise against playing more comp until your issue is resolved.

[In response to idsurge]
I’ve only had the game freeze once and I didn’t check it at the time sadly. (Sorry, I’m on my phone, some things are difficult to do on mobile)

1 Like

If it happens again (or anyone else) check your Event Viewer, under the System tab.

It is not anything meaningful (just GUIDS complaining about lack of access) but it may be something to Blizz.

1 Like

My game often freezes after loading, and i cant reconnect. Lost 150sr to this this week only. Why you do this blizzard?

1 Like

Have you read through this and tried some of the fixes yet? I’d avoid comp until you’re able to get it resolved. It’s just not worth the SR loss and possible ban.

As a friendly reminder to the recent posts about getting competitive bans and SR loss, the servers have no way to tell why you crash (or disconnect), it can only tell that you left for some reason. This Blizzard guide explains more towards why Blizzard handles this policy:

1 Like

Please check your event viewer.

1 Like

I just wanted to mention that I tried to launch Destiny 2 just now and got the same crash I had been getting in Overwatch. I checked my Nvidia driver again and it uninstalled itself a second time. Blizzard cannot fix this (but they have offered troubleshooting tips despite this), this is purely an Nvidia issue.

Yupp, some distributed com stuff error event ID 10016, I mentioned that a while ago when noticed it after a game freeze. MS says ignore that message but maybe it helps in case of Overwatch bugs somehow.

1 Like

ok yep, thats what I see as well. I have a 6 block with the same GUID’s, and then 1 more about a minute later.

Not sure if relevant.

1 Like

I have an i5 and Nvidia gtx 1050. Started crashing after both game and drivers were updated. Hard froze during competitive play three time (once during game startup, once in mid play which I was able to get back into, and once right at the end of a match that locked me out :-/ ) Very frustrating.

The computer is semi-responsive after the freeze though. I can press ALT+TAB to get the window switcher up but it won’t actually switch to the windows. I can similarly CTRL+ALT+DEL to get the task manager window to pop up but selecting task manager simply goes back to the frozen overwatch window in fullscreen.

2 Likes

Have you looked at this post yet? If you’re running any overlays they’ve been causing issues. Like Shadowplay, Steam overlay, Discord overlay, etc,…

After reinstalling and playing about 6 hours, no crashes so far. Will keep you updated.

1 Like

Was that crash with the new nvidea update you linked earlier?

1 Like

I am referring to this issue specifically. (I’ve not done the steps to resolve this issue because I am lazy and am just waiting for a driver update to come out from Nvidia.)

Basically the issue is the driver will uninstall itself after you’ve gone idle. Nothing that Blizzard can do as it’s Nvidia related, but I’m thankful that they’ve helped us find a solution regardless!

oh, i downloaded the hotfix, think its like 397.55 or 54 or something before that none of my games at all minus osrs would open at all, because the dumb driver uninstalled itself lol, other then that ive had 0 freezes since doing the repair tool thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

For anyone who has been complaining about the game freezes in certain areas… a new patch was just released:

2 Likes

(If there’s still issues I’ll be here.)

3 Likes

Event-log reading is like reading a Medication package insert: you feel even worse after. :wink: We don’t know what was cause and what was effect so be careful.

Nice, hope it helps in my case. (had no driver issues or overlays at all) Will update tomorrow and see. Late here and Internet slow, sadly. OW patches are always a pain for a 2MBit connection. ^^"

1 Like

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your help on this so far. Our Dev teams were able to use some of the crash files to identify a cause for the issue. They are currently working on a fix.

Note that this doesn’t resolve any of the driver issues we’ve been seeing recently. We do still recommend picking up the hotfix mentioned above.

3 Likes